Hi,

i have try'd lots and lots of metal and distortion pedals and i own a digitech death metal, but i have a question, to really optimalise your sound do you have to set your settings on your amp the same as on your pedal or do you have to set your amp in a neutral setting?

grtz
Henis
If you were using a modelling preamp such as a Pod XT then it's best to set the amp to neutral settings (5/5/5) and use the clean channel, but for distortion pedals, there's no right or wrong way. Whatever sounds best to your ears.
what i do is

I set the amps setting with all the pedal settings at midway. Once I get the amp settings done the way i like, I use the pedal for little adjustments.

If you play metal you want to scoop the mids so try something like this;

Bass- 7
mids-3
treble- 8

then do little tweaks on your pedal.
Right, this scooping mids thing seems to have people saying one way or the other 'for sure'

Are you seriously suggesting that you don't cut out some mids on say, a 5150 with a tubescreamer in front of it?

The amp being used, the guitar being used & the pedals being used all have a bearing on where you set your EQ. Stop being so ignorant about it, or stop posting.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Martindecorum
but think of it like this Guitars are a mid range instrument so if ur mids arer scooped u wont cut through at well if not All

For GODS SAKES.

Learn to read before patronising me, and if you do insist on doing it, at least use proper english.

The 5150 has a natural mid hump, the tubescreamer had a mid hump, both together = too much mids. Therefore, you'll need to cut some out to not sound muddy.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
If you think that was patronizing you have a lot to learn.
it still would no require the mid to be turned all the way down to zero, cause this will cause and emptiness, just turn both parts down, not to zero.
Quote by mcw00t
For GODS SAKES.

Learn to read before patronising me, and if you do insist on doing it, at least use proper english.

The 5150 has a natural mid hump, the tubescreamer had a mid hump, both together = too much mids. Therefore, you'll need to cut some out to not sound muddy.

Dip, sure, scoop, no.
I like the whole percussive thump thing that dipping the mids gives you. The sound is what made me buy a damn 5150, for christ's sake.
But this "oh you're playing metal so you'll want to scoop" thing is ridiculous.
If someone's playing metal, there's a fair chance it'll be fairly technical, and that means you'll want your playing to be heard, right?
So WHY ****ING SCOOP?
Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous, but then so is the counter argument of 'always boost your mids lololololololol'.

Both parties are as bad as each other. It all just depends on your gear. I reckon I could get myself a setup that requires me to totally scoop out the mids on my amp, whilst still being able to cut through.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
well, about this cut out your mids thing:

If I cut them out both my digitech and my peavey it sounds good but if I play lood it just wrecks my amp, the speakers make this weird sound and stuff like tha, so I think on high volumes you should certainly NOT scoop your mids and if you play metal I think it sounds much rougher with some mids, I don't say you should boost them but just with 30-40% of your mids on, I think it sounds better.