oh yeah im thinking about converting my epi thunderbird into a 5 string.
yep im gonna make it even muddier with a low b
anyone have any advice or experiance with converting 4 strings to 5 strings?

im thinking about putting the extra tuning head where i have marked it in this picture:

any suggestions for the hardware i should use?

i dont think i would need to change the pickups with them being soapbars?
do soapbars have pole-pieces?

thanks
xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I would say that the neck is too narrow to accommodate 5 strings, I don't think even Ibanez basses have a string spacing that tight.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You can't accommodate another string on a 4-string neck. String spacing would be way too short. You'd have to get a new neck, new pickups, new bridge. And it would be a lot (read: a lot) of trouble. Just get a 5 string bass.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
well this guy has managed it with many rickenbackers: http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm

and the width of the necks of the thunderbird and the rick are the same.

i reckon i could manage it really.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Might as well go for it...its an epi Thunderbird, not much to lose eh?
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
You're gonna need a new bridge, and do some drilling because I don't think anyone sells a 5 string T bird bridge. That'll be about $120-150.

You're gonna need new pups. Another $100-150.

New tuning key. $20.

New nut. $15.

Already you're over $250, and there's probably more stuff you would have to do. Plus, the bird isn't a very good instrument as it is. So I'm gonna suggest against it.

But if you are set on it, it might be relatively "simple" to buy a 5 string neck, and put that into the body. Or are Birds set necked?
epi tbirds are bolt on neck and if i recall correctly you can just whack a 5 string fender neck on it with some minor routing to neck pocket

then you'd have to get hold of a 5 string tbird bridge and seeing as gibson made on a while ago an d/ced it it's gonna cost a bomb to get one.

other than that its pretty piss easy to do and is possibly the biggest waste of money i've ever seen
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
heh heh.
i knew everyone would be against the idea.
ahh well im not really bothered.
im never gonna get rid of the thunderbird either way and im not gonna buy another bass as i already have two (and im getting a fender geddy lee for my birthday next week).
i thought of the idea because i like modding things.
if i do do it i wouldn't bother changing the pickups because the existing ones are gonna cover the five strings anyways.

xx

EDIT: oh yeah it wont cost me as much as indian rock star said as it would be stupid putting expensive parts on an epiphone. for example you can get a new graphite nut from carvin for 4 dollars.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by skater dan0

other than that its pretty piss easy to do and is possibly the biggest waste of money i've ever seen

The biggest waste was to get a t-bird in the first place. But yes making it a 5 string is a waste. Save the money and get a "real" 5-string bass. Sell your t-bird on e-bay add a few bucks and get a schecter stilleto 5 string or something like that.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
the whole point is that i dont want to buy another bass because as of next week i will already have three basses (plus 5 guitars and a keyboard), so my house is getting too full with instruments
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
heh heh.
i knew everyone would be against the idea.
ahh well im not really bothered.
im never gonna get rid of the thunderbird either way and im not gonna buy another bass as i already have two (and im getting a fender geddy lee for my birthday next week).
i thought of the idea because i like modding things.
if i do do it i wouldn't bother changing the pickups because the existing ones are gonna cover the five strings anyways.

xx

EDIT: oh yeah it wont cost me as much as indian rock star said as it would be stupid putting expensive parts on an epiphone. for example you can get a new graphite nut from carvin for 4 dollars.

I see your point. If you're willing to do some drilling, you could probably score a 5 string bridge for ~$60. So it would probably be closer to $100 if you skimped on parts. But still, with that money, you could buy a sonic stomp, a wah, all kinds of stuff.
Well if you insist on modding it. Yank out the frets. Throw a bucket of epoxy on the neck. Get some Rotosound flatwound strings and put them on.

You now have a fretless T-Bird.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
nah im not gonna defret it.
ive already defretted my starter p bass copy.
im thinking about putting a high C on that one...

haha

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Mescalino
Well if you insist on modding it. Yank out the frets. Throw a bucket of epoxy on the neck. Get some Rotosound flatwound strings and put them on.

You now have a fretless T-Bird.

oh and you dont really need epoxy if your using flatwounds.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by shinhoman
oh and you dont really need epoxy if your using flatwounds.

I disagree...after a week of using flatwounds on a rosewood fretless jazz, there were moderate indentations...imagine after a month, itd probably be massacred.
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
Quote by not wisniewski
I disagree...after a week of using flatwounds on a rosewood fretless jazz, there were moderate indentations...imagine after a month, itd probably be massacred.

ahh fair enough then.
on my defretted bass its just the bare rosewood and it seems to be holding up fine, there is not a single mark on it. i dont know if this is anything to so with the wood or the strings but fair enough, point taken

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134