What exactly is the issue with running a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cabinet? What will happen to the cabinet over time? How will it affect the sound?
lmao no not exactly, Ohms are resistance to electrical current, the more ohms the more resistance, so if ur running 120w designed for 4 ohms through a 8 ohms enclosure the resistance will not allow the speaker to get those 120watts but the resistance causes heat in the speaker and the speaker will eventually overhead and short out. so your putting unnessary power through a lot of pressure.
Oh lawd, another load of nubs trying to teach a nub...

The head doesn't have a number of ohms. The output of the head is designed to have a load of x ohms on it.

Now, I hope we're all familiar with logarithms here?

The volume will decrease logarithmically each side of the output's rating. However, going to a lower impedance cab will damage the head. This is because it is loading the power amp more than it's designed to be loaded. (Less ohms = more load).

The reason for this is that more current is trying to be drawn than can be supplied by the power amp, this corrupts voltages in previous stages of the amp, causing different currents to flow in different parts. Which over time is bad and will damage the amp.

Higher impedance on the other hand, will not cause any damage to the amp, but it'll sound like crap.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by I'MNOOPID
lmao no not exactly, Ohms are resistance to electrical current, the more ohms the more resistance, so if ur running 120w designed for 4 ohms through a 8 ohms enclosure the resistance will not allow the speaker to get those 120watts but the resistance causes heat in the speaker and the speaker will eventually overhead and short out. so your putting unnessary power through a lot of pressure.

You are totally wrong.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
They are the same...
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
The rule is match the ohms. The science behind it isnt not really important. But if you want to keep your amp for a while and not buy speakers then you match the ohms. A multiple speaker cab can always be rewired to match your head.
Quote by mcw00t
You are totally wrong.

LMao F*ck you i am. i've been doing this all my life and work in tech shops and handle this **** every day so don't be getting this guy comfused on who to listne to

and heads don't have specific ohms they have ohms settings, if u run a 8 ohms head through a 4 ohm speaker your actually making ur head work twice as hard since theres less resistance.
Quote by Tackleberry
The rule is match the ohms. The science behind it isnt not really important. But if you want to keep your amp for a while and not buy speakers then you match the ohms. A multiple speaker cab can always be rewired to match your head.

The Science behind Everything like this is important. If you know ur **** u can mix and match if not stick with the basics.
How would you rewire that to change the ohms? Is that in the crossover?
Quote by I'MNOOPID
LMao F*ck you i am. i've been doing this all my life and work in tech shops and handle this **** every day so don't be getting this guy comfused on who to listne to

and heads don't have specific ohms they have ohms settings, if u run a 8 ohms head through a 4 ohm speaker your actually making ur head work twice as hard since theres less resistance.

And I study electronics. So I suggest you don't get out of your depth.

Just as a little tester here, the most basic electronics questions I can think of:

Ohm's Law, quote it.

Formula for electrical power, quote it, in 3 different formats.

Discharge/Charge time for a capacitor, quote it.

If you have to look any of these up, you are at no liberty to tell me you have a clue what you are on about.

EDIT: Might I also mention that I've designed and built my own working guitar amp with Distortion & Compressor.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
8 ohm head into 4 ohm cab = BAD!!! Bye, Bye output transformer.

4 ohm head into 8 ohm cab = SAFE, but will not produce optimum signal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
one more... this amp im talking about is a fender 410 pro and it has a speak-on port in the back. Is that for linking amp to amp, or perhaps for using it as a subwoofer?
look i'm just trying to help the guy if u guys want to get into to fiddly diddly bull**** then screw it, i study electronics as well and i know what i'm talking about but i'm trying to make it easy as possible for the dude to understand ( i'm guessing ur a dude)
Quote by mcw00t
And I study electronics. So I suggest you don't get out of your depth.

Just as a little tester here, the most basic electronics questions I can think of:

Ohm's Law, quote it.

Formula for electrical power, quote it, in 3 different formats.

Discharge/Charge time for a capacitor, quote it.

If you have to look any of these up, you are at no liberty to tell me you have a clue what you are on about.

EDIT: Might I also mention that I've designed and built my own working guitar amp with Distortion & Compressor.

I'd like to add that he has to do it with proper grammar, capitalization, and spelling.
Quote by I'MNOOPID
look i'm just trying to help the guy if u guys want to get into to fiddly diddly bull**** then screw it, i study electronics as well and i know what i'm talking about but i'm trying to make it easy as possible for the dude to understand ( i'm guessing ur a dude)

Ok then, fair enough, but the higher resistance of the speakers isn't going to blow them up.

Just look at the Ohm's Law formula; V=IR

4 ohms load, take an arbitrary 40v, the current that will flow is 0.1A (4/40)

Change this to an 8 ohm load and you get (8/40) 0.05A

Now we work out the electrical power in both cases using P=VI

4 Ohm Load:

40x0.1 = 4watts

8 Ohm Load

40x0.05 = 2watts

The power trying to be dissipated changes with the load. This just means that more or less power will be being drawn from the supply. Therefore attaching an 8 ohm cab to a head that wants a 4 ohm cab will cause no damage.

However, if we go the other way, and attach a cab that has an impedance that is too low, you get more power flowing through the power amp (and output transformer if tube) which will cause damage to components.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ok but
I never said it would blow them, i just meant that over time eventually they can short out cause i've seen it happen
The shorting would be for a different reason. This would be totally unrelated.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
The power trying to be dissipated changes with the load. This just means that more or less power will be being drawn from the supply. Therefore attaching an 8 ohm cab to a head that wants a 4 ohm cab will cause no damage.

However, if we go the other way, and attach a cab that has an impedance that is too low, you get more power flowing through the power amp (and output transformer if tube) which will cause damage to components.

you got er!
ergh you guys got nothing else better to do then come here and argue whos the newb? I on the other hand only know you gotta match up the number or else you won't have any thing to work with presuming you have no back up.
Quote by kckyle
ergh you guys got nothing else better to do then come here and argue whos the newb? I on the other hand only know you gotta match up the number or else you won't have any thing to work with presuming you have no back up.

Then someone obviously didn't read what we were discussing...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
Then someone obviously didn't read what we were discussing...

actually no you guys lost me as soon as you two start arguing