I checked with FrenchyFungus before posting this thread because there are already a few Counting Crows threads floating about but they haven't been posted in since last year, so FrenchyFungus said to go ahead and make a new one.

Anywho I thought I'd see who else on the boards is into Counting Crows? I've only been listening to the band for a few months, since about January when I heard "Mr Jones" on the radio, and I went out and bought the August and Everything After album. I fell in love with the band and the album after that, only wish I had listened to them earlier. I think August and Everything After is a masterpiece, and what makes it even more impressive is the fact that this was their debut album. It's so strong from start to finish and all the songs are so easy going yet they have a great meaning within. I think some of the stand out songs from it are "A Murder of One", "Round Here", "Mr Jones", "Rain King" and "Perfect Blue Buildings".

I've also got "Recovering the Satellites" and "This Desert Life". I've not listened to these albums nearly as much as I have August, but I think they are a great continuation from the debut. I like a few of the songs on Recovering the Satellites and I've heard that Adam Duritz wrote these songs about his struggle to cope with the fame and success the band had after August and Everything After. I'd say my favourite songs from this album would be "Angles of the Silences", "I'm Not Sleeping", "Recovering the Satellites" and "Goodnight Elisabeth".

From "This Desert Life" I really enjoy listening to "Hangin' Around", "Amy Hit the Atmosphere", "Mrs Potter's Lullaby" and "Colorblind".

I've also got two songs from "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings", "When I dream of Michaelangelo" and "1492". I'm not too fond of 1492 but "When I dream" is an amazing song, definately a song I'd recommend. You can get these songs from their website if you go to the front page and click on the Vinyl about half way down the right hand side of the page, you get them in a zip file. Deliriumbassist deserves the credit for telling me about this lol.

Sorry about the huge wall of text but I'm just hoping some of you CC fans can enjoy chatting about the band and their music in this thread.

Their great my mom got me into them, she has all their albums, and live stuff.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Cool, I'm thinking of getting a couple more of their albums when I next get paid. Any recommendations? I know I'm going to get Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings, what else would you recommend after that?
well do you have August & Everything? I haven't checked out their new one yet.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

i would hear "mr jones" on the radio but i didn't really start to love CC until "accidentally in love"
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
If you're just starting out, Films About Ghosts is probably your best bet to start with, it being the Greatest Hits album and all. It's a very good overiew of all their albums up to that point.

Recovering the Satellites is complete win

And I just got me "Saturday Nights..." and it is the shizznay
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you're just starting out, Films About Ghosts is probably your best bet to start with, it being the Greatest Hits album and all. It's a very good overiew of all their albums up to that point.

Recovering the Satellites is complete win

And I just got me "Saturday Nights..." and it is the shizznay

Yea that was my first album. And also Films About Ghosts has some live favorites so that's great
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
the live in new york is pretty good too.

Quote by denizenz

My father recently picked up several of their albums. Before I had only heard their version of Big Yellow Taxi and Accidentally In Love (SHREK!).

They're a decent band, though after a while their music begins to sound alike.
Big Yellow Taxi is great
I liked 'Mr Jones'
The guy's got quite a unique voice.
We're just dancing
We're just hugging,singing, screaming, kissing, tugging
On the sleeve of how it used to be
Yeah Adam's one of those guys who you can listen to his music and immediately say, oh that's Adam from counting crows.

Quote by denizenz

I have August, Desert Life, Films of Ghosts (greatest hits, but whatever), and the live from Amsterdam one.

I love it all. I can't wait to pick up the new album. I haven't bought any cds in a while.

By the way, did anyone see their Nissan/Yahoo live sets thing? Their performance of Round Here is 9 minutes maybe. The first time I watched I was like "wow, Adam sounds like a drunk idiot," but then I watched again and I realized that it was brilliant.

Give it time to grow on you.
Pretty sure I have all their albums apart from the greatest hits one..

Their new album is great, it's got agood mix of softer songs and more rock orientated songs, and the guitar player finally got good at playing solos, some great country-ish solos on there.

I'm currently working up a cover of 'Le Ballet D'or' from their new album and I already do covers of Colorblind, Holiday In Spain and Mr Jones... Such a great band.
SUPER MASSIVE BUMP!!!

We must find more Counting Crows fans. Like Hardcore badly.
So, thoughts on the new album? (Satuday Nights and Sunday Mornings)
Pot
Kettle
Black
ehh Recovering the Satelites and August are still better
it showed them musically progressing but nevertheless they could have done better
i have to say, "this desert life" is my favorite album. nobody ever talks about st robinson. thats an awesome song with that 5 minutes of silence and then awesome jam session at the end
it's argueably one of the best debut albums ever
I saw them when I went to see The Who last week, they played an acoustic set and it bored the shit outta me. Don't get me wrong, they're a good band, but I found myself nodding off through some of it.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Adam's voice is highly recognizable and very emotional. He's one of my favourite singers.
Once you go FLAC, you never go back.
I only got into this band recently and I am now slowly buying each of their albums in order. My favourite song CCs song that I have heard so far is A Murder of One.
I don't like to admit that I like them because it's soccor mom music, and they were featured on Friends.. but I'm a pansy at heart, so I can admit on an anonymous message board that they write some pretty good songs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by A Rolling Stone
^^Not Soccer Mom music, just "chill" music.

Be honest with yourself. You should be listening to it while using breast pumps.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by A Rolling Stone
^^No...I was...There's just...Dammit!

It is good music to listen to on your way to the PTA meeting, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

Its taken a few months, but I've taken my time, buying an album every month or so and today I finally got the most recent on - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings. Loving it so far, but I'm quite sad my period of discovering the music of my now favorite band is now over.
Last edited by Gramble at Jun 20, 2009,
Quote by Gramble
Its taken a few months, but I've taken my time, buying an album every month or so and today I finally got the most recent on - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings. Loving it so far, but I'm quite sad discovering my now favorite band is now over.

Over? What you on about? They've only left Geffen Records as far as I know.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Over? What you on about? They've only left Geffen Records as far as I know.

No, I don't mean the band is over, I mean I have bought all their albums now, I discovered them a while ago and I bought each album one by one in order.
lol no one has heard of them over here Best band going!
My gear

Les Paul Deluxe
Fender Stu Hamm Urge II (Selling)
Strat
Hudson Electro-Acoustic
Marshall 1923 85th 50W Tube Stack
BLUEROCK BSH2-300G 300 Watt Bass Head (selling)
300 Watt 1 - 15 Bass Cab (selling)

My Band
^^My Dad's seen them twice. He said the first time they were fantastic, but the second time they did something like nine songs then Adam screamed something into the Mic and they walked off
He's turning into a regular Axl Rose.
Pot
Kettle
Black
when they do there own acoustic rock stuff style or whatever, they are great, i hate their pop stuff like accidentally in love.

Great band with a unique sound that I love though. what i want to write