hi
just little confused on making chords
regarding these formulas for chords :
major chords : R - major third - perfect fifth
minor chords : R - minor third - perfect fifth
diminished chords : R - minor third - diminished fifth
augmented chords : R - major third - augmented fifth

so if for example in Aminor scale ( A B C D E F G ) i want to create diminished chords of third degree of scale ( C ) can i apply the formula of dminished chords and create c diminished ?
in fact those are formulas pre applied in scales ? or you can apply them on any note in any scale and get your desired chord ?
or you have to just use the triads rule ?
Typically your diminished chords will be the 7th degree of the scale (using the major scale), so B in your case. However you can apply that formula to any note to get the desired chord, just make sure you follow the interval formula.
Well, Cdim does not fit in the Am scale.

The way chords are formed is basing the intervals off of the major scale. So, Cdim is 1 b3 b5 and the C major scale is C D E F G A B. You take the 1, C, you take the third and flatten it, E to Eb, and you take the 5 and flatten it, G to Gb, and get C Eb Gb.
thanks
i thought about same thing that for ex. that C dim does not fit into A minor scale any way and no good sound
then actually is there point in applying those formula for getting diffrent chords rather than the main one in any scale ?
in fact if you create in this case C dim in Aminor scale there is no use for it right?
Quote by dimebag1d
thanks
i thought about same thing that for ex. that C dim does not fit into A minor scale any way and no good sound
then actually is there point in applying those formula for getting diffrent chords rather than the main one in any scale ?
in fact if you create in this case C dim in Aminor scale there is no use for it right?
There is definitely a use for it.

Anyway, what you're trying to do is apply those chord formulas to scales. The way scales are, the chords that "fit" are already predetermined. A C E form A minor, B D F form B diminished, etc. What those formulas are helpful for is determining the actual intervals. For instance, since you already know that A C E is A minor, you can determine that A is the root, C is the minor third, and E is the perfect fifth. OR also for forming a chord not based off a scale. You can form a D diminished without thinking of it in regards to a scale. Over time, however, this knowledge will all mesh together and you will know almost instantly the chord qualities, intervals, and notes for any given progression.