EDIT: This thread has just about died as of now, but instead of starting another I figured it would be better to try and breath new life into it. I have pretty much decided on replacing the speaker with warehouse speakers is my plan of action to get a fuller less muddy tone. I have no idea on whether to go with their "reaper," their greenback copy, their v30 copy, or what. please help out.

Original thread below

I have several questions that I figure we can try and tackle in one thread. My rig consists of an Epi Les Paul and an Ibanez RG4ex1 through a Palomino V32 with a EHX Metal Muff as well (pretty simple.) I'm pretty happy with the tone that I get, especially the warmth of my LP through my V32. The thing that bothers me the most is that my sound tends to get muddy and kind of flat at times. Here are some things I've been thinking about as a solution:

1) A speaker and/or tube swap in my V32. A new speaker seems the most logical though. In this subject I don't really know where to turn, so please make suggestions.

2) Pickup swaps on my guitars.

Les Paul- Duncan SH 1 or 2 in neck and Sh5 or 6 in bridge? Or go with Gibsons?
Ibanez- same Seymour Duncans listed above^^

Lastly I play from some 90's grungy to a little short of hardcore/metal.

I know its been a lengthy post but if you take the time to read and post I would greatly appreciate it
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Last edited by metrobunny61 at Jun 1, 2008,
But what kind of speaker? I was kind of thinking a Celestion G12, but I definatly don't know enough about speakers to make an educated decision.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
I would go speaker because I know that the V series ones aren't so hot. I also know that the stock pups in Epi's can be pretty bad so it's a tough call. Try a Warehouse Veteran 30 for $45 (Celestion V30 clone) and then get pickups depending on how much money you have and how much you want the tone to get better.
I think I'm gonna tackle my amp first. So I'm mainly looking for suggestions on what to replace on my V32. Anybody?
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Would a Celestion 30 (or clone like above mentioned^) be too bright? I heard they had pretty intense high-mids. When I turn up my presence I get a real shrilly kind of grit that I don't like. I was thinking a Celestion 30 might jsut add on to that? But of course what do i know.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Quote by metrobunny61
Would a Celestion 30 (or clone like above mentioned^) be too bright? I heard they had pretty intense high-mids. When I turn up my presence I get a real shrilly kind of grit that I don't like. I was thinking a Celestion 30 might jsut add on to that? But of course what do i know.

Then go for a Greenback clone, instead. Rather Marshally speaker, should compliment your amp's EL84's.
Can you guys suggest a good place to order from? Or do you think anywhere in the Columbus Ohio region would have them?
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Stock speakers in budget tube amps like that usually aren't too great.
I'd go for a new speaker, then perhaps some new tubes?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Right, sounds good. The only thing is that the greenback clone is only 25 watts. Aren't you supposed to match/exceed the amp's wattage? If so the ET65 and the Reaper both look good.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Meh I have baseball, but I will be back on tonight to check so please keep the help coming. peace.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Anybody? I just want to get that wattage question answered.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

A tube amp with better gain so you can ditch the distortion pedal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
edited original post^ check it out.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Those ratings for the speakers are pretty conservative, not to mention speaker breakup is good to a point. So, you may like the sound of a 25 watt speaker breaking up a bit along with your tubes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Those ratings for the speakers are pretty conservative, not to mention speaker breakup is good to a point. So, you may like the sound of a 25 watt speaker breaking up a bit along with your tubes.

Very good point, but for the styles he wants speaker breakup might not be good. Then again, the amp he has isn't exactly the best for what he wants either.
I guess I should clarify my style more. Its not as aggressive as I probably made it out to be. I get pretty close to what I want to sound like. I just like a pretty standard somewhat-heavy distorted but still warm tone. I do play a lot of cleans as well, such as pink floyd kinda stuff or just messing around with a little blues. I easily could of afforded a 5150 or something of the sorts but I chose this because it truly does suit me.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah