i don't really like the sound I get from my amp,it sounds dull and dim.
What would I need to get or do to get a sharper, brighter tone?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
What's your EQ look like?

It's probably largely due to the fact that it's a pretty lousy amp, though.
bridge pickup
boost treble
cut bass
balanced mids
tone knob at 10
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
He has a peavey bandit in his sig. If I remember correctly, these have a presence knob. Turn that up bit by bit until you find a desirable tone.
You could invest in a chorus or super chorus pedal.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Turn up treble, presence, mids maybe a little. Use the bridge pickup, and make sure the tone knobs are at 10 like someone else said. And try turning down the bass a little.
mids at 10, treble pretty low (or it'll sound like ****) and bas at 5-8.
That's what I normally do at any amp, to get the best out of it.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
^^Mids at 10 and no treble bet that sounds killer.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Jun 1, 2008,
TS, to be brutally honest, even with a lot of tweaking that amp is still going to sound pretty crap. Maybe you will end up with a slightly brighter tone but it will still sound like pants. If I was you I'd save for a nice good quality amp instead of the SG.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
TS, to be brutally honest, even with a lot of tweaking that amp is still going to sound pretty crap. Maybe you will end up with a slightly brighter tone but it will still sound like pants. If I was you I'd save for a nice good quality amp instead of the SG.

Agreed, I made the classic "reasonably nice guitar through ****ty amp" mistake when I was a n00b, I was running an SG Special through a Fender Frontman... then I realized when I got my current amp that even my old fat strat through my Mesa sounded better than my SG through the Frontman.

Moral of the story- get a new amp.
My amp settings are Treble: 10, bass: 7, mids:5, the presence is as high as it'll go. One of the volume knobs can be pulled out to make the amp brighter, but it still sounds dull and fat.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by Next Hendrix
My amp settings are Treble: 10, bass: 7, mids:5, the presence is as high as it'll go. One of the volume knobs can be pulled out to make the amp brighter, but it still sounds dull and fat.

Other than rolling back your bass, there's not much you can do other than getting a new amp.
What would be some other good amps to look at?
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
I think we need to clarify if we're referring to clock positions or dial numbers. Setting 10 and 10 o'clock are quite different.
I was setting the numbers, not clock positions.
I was looking into the 60 watt version of the Roland Cube, has anyone tried one?
Would you recommend?
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!