Hello there, UG community!

A while back, I became the proud owner of a strange Red Strat with an Ibanez neck. This was discussed in this thread. After inquiring about tuners from you guys, I made the decision to order a new neck from Warmoth along with some Sperzel tuners. I ordered Warmoth's top-of-the-line model: the Warmoth "Pro". I also ordered it with a beefy SRV-style back contour; I've got some big hands, so this feels much more comfortable to me.
Here's my build! If you would like a full-size image of any of the pics below, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Here are the Sperzel tuners. The nice thing about these is that their heights are staggered. This will keep pressure on the nut without the need for string guides. They're also locking. They are pricey, but they're worth it IMHO.

The box that my brand-new neck came in seemed a little unprotected. I blanked out all of the UPS shipping info, but I did leave the fact that my apartment # is G3.

Open the box, and.....OOOO SHINY!!!! Enclosed was various warranty information, order information, general care guidelines, and how to use the Gotoh side-adjust truss rod system (to be explained shortly). The sticker near the top frets on the neck was basically stating that this neck was made by Warmoth under a license from Fender. It reminded me of clicking "Yes, I understand the license agreement" when installing some software.

At the bottom of the box was a Warmoth bumper sticker. Cool!

I also needed a new heel plate and screws; the old ones were pretty beat up.

Here's the Gotoh side-adjust truss rod. If you notice in the other pictures of the neck, there's no hole to adjust the truss rod near the nut. All Warmoth "Pro" model necks come with this feature. You adjust it just like any other truss rod, but this is in an extremely easy-to-get-to place. Also, you get rid of that hole near the nut; I feel that this makes a cleaner appearance.

Another shot of the Gotoh side-adjust truss rod. This screw, I believe, keeps the entire mechanism in place.

The heel of the neck, with Warmoth's signature "Turtle-Dude...guy...thing". "Warmoth Radius" refers to Warmoth's compound radius on their Pro series. The radius is 10" at the nut, and 16" at the heel. This allows for comfort while making for chords near the nut, and speed and comfort while soloing and bending on higher frets. Neato!

The headstock, minus tuners. There's no nifty "Fender" logo on it, but functionality > looks.

The entire neck, out of the box.
Okay, here's when I kind of hit a wall. When trying to figure out how to mount the tuners into the headstock, I noticed that the headstock was missing some holes. The tuners have little plastic nubs that keep the tuners from "spinning" when they're mounted. I was missing the appropriate "nub-receptical" for each tuner.

[PLUG]Luckily, there's a fantastic guitar boutique in Highland Park, IL called The Music Gallery. Their staff is friendly and knowledgeable, their selection of guitars is fantastic, and they have some fantastic prices on high-quality combo tube amps.[/PLUG]
Rather than myself drilling holes into my new neck with a Milwaukee handheld electric drill, I entrusted these guys with drilling the holes.

While those were getting drilled, I decided to take off the old neck.

Needless to say, I had lots of built-up rage towards the neck due to its amount of warp, terrible feel, and how awkward it looked on a Strat body.

The heel of the old neck had a stamp that read April 98. This cheap Ibanez jump-pack neck has seen its time.

The heel pocket of the body was a little concerning. It looks like someone tried some "mods" of their own when they owned this body. I'm not exactly sure what those extra holes would even attempt to accomplish.

It also seems that someone gave this thing a custom paint job at one time. There are some tiny smudges on the old neck that are the same red color as the body. I have no clue how the paint would get transferred to the neck like this. The only reasonable explanation is that someone left the neck bolted on while painting the body and did a crappy job of covering the neck. This body has some interesting history!

A few days later, the neck came back to me with the tuners installed perfectly! Thanks, The Music Gallery!

On the back of the headstock, you can see the big screws that are used to lock the strings in place.
Out with the old, in with the new. I even get an extra fret with the new neck!

And the back. I never really liked the skunk stripe, anyways.

Here, you can see where the side-adjust truss rod is positioned when the neck is installed. Very easy to get to.

Money shot, with my JS strap. Now that's what a Strat should look like!

You can see the Sperzel tuning pegs at work here. They keep pressure on the nut without the need for string guides.

Shot of the headstock. No string guides keeps the headstock looking clean.

The one problem I have right now is that the nut needs to be filed out a bit. The strings are sitting uncomfortably high in the nut. If I think about trying to bend the high E string or even look at it the wrong way, it'll pop out of the nut. I'll probably get a file set or ask the helpful people at The Music Gallery to give me some assistance.

Well that's all I have. I hope you had a fun read through this project. Happy playing, everyone!
i think you should of got a diffrent neck that actually said fender because it would look much better with it on there and so you could prove that it was a fender.

Are those your hands? Gross!
Guitars: Ibanez RG Series Jewel blue.
Fender Stratocaster Brown Sunburst Maple fretboard.

Amps:
Marshall 15W
Peavy 15W
crate
Crate Head

Wish list.
Future Guitar: Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric Guitar.
Or you could get a custom decal instead of it just saying Fender. Make it more custom and faster. My Obama 08 sticker on my Corolla makes my Corolla rolla faster and makes it a custom car you know... lol. f**k Toyota!

Those tuners where did you get them and how much? I want some gold locking tuners on mine and my dad wants to get a neck with an ebony fretboard, i will check out Warmoth.

However, if I get gold tuners I would like everything to match, otherwise it looks like I could only afford to get the gold grills for my teeth and everything else is chrome lol.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by SovietSpartan

Those tuners where did you get them and how much?

The tuners were from Musician's Friend for $75. Here's a link.
Quote by SovietSpartan
if I get gold tuners I would like everything to match, otherwise it looks like I could only afford to get the gold grills for my teeth and everything else is chrome lol.

I was actually going to install some hydraulics for the tremolo, mount a big-ass sound system just below the pickguard, and have some miniature spinning rims on top of each of the tuners. I'll have to update you guys on that when I'm done. It'll be the coolest guitar ever.
Quote by hisjap2003
The tuners were from Musician's Friend for $75. Here's a link.

I was actually going to install some hydraulics for the tremolo, mount a big-ass sound system just below the pickguard, and have some miniature spinning rims on top of each of the tuners. I'll have to update you guys on that when I'm done. It'll be the coolest guitar ever.

Thanks for the link, guy.

You should also get a radar detector, to detect annoying wanna-bes, and a tazer on the headstock :P Frakenstrat has got nothing on you.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by trevor32
i think you should of got a diffrent neck that actually said fender because it would look much better with it on there and so you could prove that it was a fender.

Are those your hands? Gross!

What's wrong with his hands?
Last I left you guys, me and my apparently gross hands had just installed a new Warmoth neck on my $10 Stratocaster. The problem was that the nut needed to be filed out. I purchased an economical set of files from Warmoth. The files just arrived today, so here's the next part of this build.

The box arrived with Warmoth's signature turtle dude uneloquently covered with some shipping info.

After clearing out some annoying packing peanuts, a box greeted me with an intriguing message:
SWISS PATTERN FILES
FILES. OF. MINUTE. USE.
HIROSHIMA FILES JAPAN

Having gotten over the failed haiku, I opened up the box.

These certainly aren't professional luthier files. Like I said, I was on a bit of a budget and I don't see myself using these files more than a few guitars. Each side of the file has a different thickness. I was hoping that they would be labeled; I had to make my best guess from feeling with my fingers and from Warmoth's product page. Anyways, here they are out of the bag.

After about an hour of careful filing, I got the strings into the nut proper-like. Now I can bend the high E string!

With a perfectly functional neck, the next part to fix on this thing is the ratty pickguard. My buddy had "Sharpied" the outside of the pickguard.

I guess it was a cheap and simple solution to adding a cool black outline to the pickguard, but it's also kind of tacky in my opinion. I tried to get most of it off, but some just wouldn't come out. Now I'm left with a pickguard that has a sporadic black Sharpied outline.

This guitar actually came to me covered in stickers (eww...). While I managed to buff off all of the stickers and residue on the body, the pickguard still has some residue on it. Not to mention, there are some ugly scratches and gouges on this thing.

Lucky for me, Warmoth offers a huge array of new Stratocaster pickguards. Just look at all of these option and color combinations! I was thinking white or white pearl. I'm not planning on replacing the dirtied, worn-out control knobs and pickup covers. I think that the red body and white pickguard complement the "dirty tannish" look of the controls and pickup covers nicely.

Until next time, UG. I'll keep you all updated.
Very sexy.

I've actually found WD40 very good for getting rid of sticker residue, but there's likely a better chemical that does the job without stinking and feeling greasy. But I agree the guitar deserves a new pickguard...
Quote by T!AN
I've actually found WD40 very good for getting rid of sticker residue, but there's likely a better chemical that does the job without stinking and feeling greasy.

I used a product called "Goo Gone" when I got the stickers off initially. It worked fine on the body, but it left some sort of "super-mega-ultra-baked-on" residue on the pickguard. It might be that there were pre-existing scratches that got impregnated with sticker. I'd try WD40, but I'm going to replace the entire thing soon so whatev.
congrats

personally i didn't care for the 'pitted' looking headstock nor the 'wavy' rosewood grain but man i gotta give you credit.

you need to take this over to Guitar Building and Customizing too....just not tonight for fear of double thread.

lol...........as i love gear p0rn