at 4:37 in the song, how does John Petrucci get that Steve Vai-esque sound? Is it a style of play such as harmonics, the guitar he uses, his amp, or a pedal? any help in pursuing this sound would be appreciated.
His equipment cost more than you're house so you're fucked
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

For Images and Words he used a Mesa Triaxis into a 2/90 Power Amp, and used a Roland JC120 for cleans. Petrucci seems to really like using a TC2290 for delay, chorus, etc., so based on the fact I actually haven't heard Under a Glass Moon (or maybe I have, but i've heard a few of the songs off of Images and Words), I don't know if he's got some effect going.

As umbrellacorp said, he does use REALLY expensive stuff (more notably a Mesa Mark IIC+...and he's got a bunch of them too, so there's 10 grand right there). Triaxis is about $1,000 used, the 2/90 is around the same price, getting a Mesa 4x12 Recto new is about $1,000, but used you could nab one for around 6 - 7 hundred.
He uses Boogie Mark something heads. You can get a similar sound with a Dual Rectifier - perhaps with an OD to smooth things out a bit. Add a bit of delay too.

The actual notes he's playing at 4:37 if that is what you mean is 12th fret on E and B strings - with B string bent up a tone.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
It's the way he plays it.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Dood u need his fingerz 2 get that tone! But seriously.. Basswood guitar, Air Norton in the neck. Triaxis/2:90, some kinda Eventide and a 2290 maybe will get you half way. Maybe a few recto cabs. Ermm..

Quote by pEdAl2
You can get a similar sound with a Dual Rectifier - perhaps with an OD to smooth things out a bit.
You're wrong

Quote by mcw00t
It's the way he plays it.
You're right.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 1, 2008,
Elaboration on my somewhat uninformative post...

It's like he plays pinch harmonics but only 1/2 if you get what I mean, quite hard to explain...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
i thought it had something to do with harmonics...
i think it is some effect that he is running because the sound is different than the chorus, verse, etc.
it is probably the way he plays it, and if it is, any tips for me?
is it exactly at 4:37? i don't have the album handy, but i have this youtube link... tell me the exact time from it (if you can), and i'll see what i do. it's technique rather than gear, that's for sure.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2LxwekDdfHg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vega12345
i thought it had something to do with harmonics...
i think it is some effect that he is running because the sound is different than the chorus, verse, etc.
it is probably the way he plays it, and if it is, any tips for me?

If it's at exactly 4:37 and you mean the harmonic-like sound those are natural harmonics played at the 5th, 4th and 3rd frets in that order, more than that I don't think I can help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

You're wrong

Well I was going on the models on my PODxt Live rather than the real thing. I've certainly got closer with that than the Mark IIC+ model.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
technique.
sorry i have the album in hand but i'm too lazy to find that part.
if you're talking about the solo, just watch it on youtube.
the solo is full of tricks...double-stop bending, sliding, fast left hand positioning, fast alternate picking, natural harmonics, sweeping, bit of right hand tapping, single-string-legato-right-hand-tapping, light-whammy-bar-nudge bla bla bla
just watch it on youtube.
if you're not talking about the solo then forget everything i said.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by necrophilic
technique.
sorry i have the album in hand but i'm too lazy to find that part.
if you're talking about the solo, just watch it on youtube.
the solo is full of tricks...double-stop bending, sliding, fast left hand positioning, fast alternate picking, natural harmonics, sweeping, bit of right hand tapping, single-string-legato-right-hand-tapping, light-whammy-bar-nudge bla bla bla
just watch it on youtube.
if you're not talking about the solo then forget everything i said.

dude, i'm getting that same ibanez you have! Yeah, it's the harmonics. That solo is extremley hard for me.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
the harmonics hardly come out. i needed to use the bridge pickups.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
He half pinches one of the notes. The higher one I think.

/-------\
E--12*--------|-----------------------------------------|--------------------
B--12----14-14|-14/12--12--12--12/7--7-7-7/9-9-9/5-5-5--|-4--5--4--2---------
G-------------|-----------------------------------------|-------------4/2----
D-------------|-----------------------------------------|--------------------
A-------------|-----------------------------------------|--------------------
E-------------|-----------------------------------------|--------------------
  * Full
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by mlkIII
dude, i'm getting that same ibanez you have! Yeah, it's the harmonics. That solo is extremley hard for me.

i forgot. if you're talking about s5470bw-rvf, keep in mind that the finish is not meant to last. have it for 2 months i already have chipped-off here and there, but especially around the input jack.
During the tremolo picking pinch the first note after there is a slide.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio