I dunno if that's the place for spitting your problems out but here I go :
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years (not as good as an ordinary 3-year), and I play okay I think, I can play a few decent stuff, solos, chords, a really few scales but my problem is that I'm really bad at theory, I never learnt how to play notes (DoReMi-like), can't seem to understand the whole scales stuff (major,minor,pentatonic and their positions), I almost never successfully memorize names of chords.

What do you suggest? I'm still taking lessons.
look on UG lol... this place has some epic lessons on that stuff, it helped me out alot, i've been playing for about 5yrs, and it was only about 2 years ago i finally pulled my finger out and started learning the real core stuff, coz i just werent getting any better. But now its all cool =]
Yes and I try to use them, but I can't seem to fully understand. I already got the places of notes on the string (F being on 6th string 1st fret, then everything next is a whole step except from B to C and E to F which are half steps), but I think my main problem is that it's english and I'm Israeli so I've got a really few english problems. Even worse, the whole names for techniques and notes and scales might be different in hebrew so if I'll learn it in english I might won't be able to do it well with my friends and they'll be like "WTF u suk lawl".
If you're taking lessons, then just ask your teacher to go through some theory with you.
Last edited by Kylix at Jun 1, 2008,
Well by looking only at beginning theory articles I don't think I got the time & mood to handle this right now (finals are really soon), I'll just wait some time before I start, thanks for your advices.
Just use numbering or mathematic system.
English is not first language either. Everything is backwards...
for writing , phrasing...etc

memorize a little at a time.

You already know 3/4 and 7/8 as half step

E/F and C/B E=3 F=4, These are fixed on the piano.
This is your refference piont

If you start from the note C as the 1 note ...it'll sound: ro la mi fa so...in C
therefore the Key of C.

For chords example,
maj = happy
min=sad
dim= scary

For one week just remorize this: I, IV, V= happy (Maj) or 1,4,5 if you wish
The next week memorize ii, iii, vi = (min)or 2,3,6

The reasons romans are use is to help distinguish between chords and scale

large letters = Maj
small letters = min

when writing in intervals , the same concept is apply
Big M= maj
little m=min

Penatonic= a pentagon has 5 sides. Pentatonic scale only has 5 notes.

Naming chords is just alternating 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

sus = suspended , removed , take away. REMOVE the 3rd
min = LESS than (such as minorities) (b flat)
Aug = augmenting in english is define as to ADD to something (# sharp)
Dim = diminished in english is define as to TAKE AWAY or LOWER (b flat)

example : every other note are basic chord structure

1,3,5 = maj chord

1,b3, 5 = min....becuase the 3 was made LESS to = b3
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Blade686
Yes and I try to use them, but I can't seem to fully understand. I already got the places of notes on the string (F being on 6th string 1st fret, then everything next is a whole step except from B to C and E to F which are half steps), but I think my main problem is that it's english and I'm Israeli so I've got a really few english problems. Even worse, the whole names for techniques and notes and scales might be different in hebrew so if I'll learn it in english I might won't be able to do it well with my friends and they'll be like "WTF u suk lawl".

I can't help with the language problem, but see if maybe they have a Hebrew version of a music theory book. Your local library should have multiple theory books in stock, and learning music theory will really help you out a lot.