hey
i am just in the process of starting some home recording
I have saved up enough money, and based on what i have read i have ear marked enough money for decent enough mic's stand ect.
What i need to knwo is what is the best USB recording interface i can get for about 100-150 quid
I have heard the line 6 tone port is good same with a Multimix USB 8 or soemting, but i just wanted opinions on what one i should get, i am not looking for full on studio quality, but good quality recording at least is what im looking for

Please just give your opinions, links to music u have recorde with the stuff you are suggesting would be good also. Also im looking for an interface which comes with software which i can use for the recording on my PC, not mac, PC

Please also dont say "save up and buy this", not an option im gonna go down, cause you can always spend a little bit more, but i dont wana go over board, i can always upgrade later!

cheers all your help is appreciated ( sorry about my poor spelling btw)
stay away from USB mics...

150 quid is around $300 USD
For this price range you can go with a firewire interface such as the PreSonus Inspire 1394 which goes for $150USD and then add on a few mics such as a condenser and maybe one dynamic depending on what you are recording.

What instruments are you recording?
If we know that we can start talking mics.

also look over Tweak's Guide linked in my sig.
i know what mics im getting thats seperate, the 150 ( 300USD) is for the interface alone, obv not getting a USB mic, but im wanting a USB interface, like toneport ect just need to know which the best for that cash is cheers
I agree. The toneports are USB 1.1, which is not quite as fast as 2.0. It's not the end of the world, but in my opinion if you can afford a 2.0 interface, then why not get one?

I also consider the toneports to be a little gimicky, and the Gearbox software doesn't sound great.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I agree. The toneports are USB 1.1, which is not quite as fast as 2.0. It's not the end of the world, but in my opinion if you can afford a 2.0 interface, then why not get one?

I also consider the toneports to be a little gimicky, and the Gearbox software doesn't sound great.

You don't actually have to use the Gearbox software though, you can turn it off so the toneport acts as a DI box that you can plug a mic into as long as you've got an XLR to 1/4" lead.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yea but the whole reason people go for the toneports is the gearbox software...
they make it sound like its the best thing out there when in reality its not.

sure you could use other software with the toneport but I really think line6 should work on their GB sounds some more.
Quote by moody07747
yea but the whole reason people go for the toneports is the gearbox software...
they make it sound like its the best thing out there when in reality its not.

sure you could use other software with the toneport but I really think line6 should work on their GB sounds some more.

I went for the Toneport just so I had something to record with, I need a decent mike now or I'm stuck with gearbox

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I went for the Toneport just so I had something to record with, I need a decent mike now or I'm stuck with gearbox

there are not many choices on the low budget units...

when you are limited to $100 theres the Toneport GX, m-audio fast Track USB and if you can find one on sale, the UX1 toneport.

Now these low end units do get the job done...but for $150 I really think things start to open up...
You can find a used Mackie Onyx Satellite, get a new inspire 2496 from PreSonus...

These dont come with amp and FX modeling software but they have better preamps IMO.

In the field of audio, the more you spend, the better quality you come out with.

You can use amplitube or other programs with the toneports, you just have to hit the power button on Gearbox to bypass it.

Quote by moody07747
lots of stuff that takes up space...

Yeah, I know, I just need a decent mic and the right kind of cable; that'll end up being more expensive than the toneport itself

More to the point when i bought it I was on an even tighter budget than I am now and wasn't really thinking about getting decent quality recordings or tone; I just wanted a recording interface really.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
sweet thanks guys, so the toneport is fine with a good mic and just use your own tones with your amp? i have a decent enough amp range to choose from and effects so it was more to get the sounds onto the PC into recording

Whats the deal with pro tools btw? my mate is maybe gonna sell me the newest one with its interface for like £100, but the interface is pretty shat which is comes with, what else could i use? and how much, Btw im saying 100 POUNDS, thats like 200 USD
an m-audio little like on input box thing,he even admits it pretty shat
should i get it if i can and then like add a USB mixer or soemthing/
I wouldn't bother. You can get a decent interface for £100 anyway, which will come with it's own software. The version of Pro Tools you'll get with that isn't all that great anyway. Pro Tools is better for larger studio setups IMO.
There is poetry in despair.
well its the full pro tools version, and its like £560 new, and he gonna sell me it for like 60, chuffed, but yeh i will try and find the best USB mixer
be aware that USB mixers mix all the inputs to a single stereo tack before sending to the PC
you would be better off with either a firewire mixer or firewire interface.

IMO, the mixer setups are somewhat a waste of money...
arnt the USB 2.0 ones able to send single tracks? and any otgher interface would only give me one....

Oh and yeh i dont have a firewire port on my laptop, otehr wise i would be saving up for the presonus FP 10