Alright guys, heres my dilemma. I want a USB recording interface, I already own a pod xt live (but the usb part for it ceases to work anymore), so I could:

1) Buy a toneport gx ($60 for me). But this will not work with some of the patches of pod xt live. I cannot buy expansion pack for this to make it to the same power as pod xt live because they're like a $100 and I cannot spend $160 just yet.
2) Buy a Behringer UCA202 ($33 for me). I could connect this to the pod xt live and the pc, enabling me to use all my patches but recording quality may not be as great as the toneport
3) Get my pod xt live fixed but this will be I suppose atleast $50...

This brings to me the questions:
1) Is Behringer UCA202 crappier than Toneport GX?
2) What should I do?
Can't you just buy the Toneport and run the POD into it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Go to Target. They have a connection which has a 1/4 inch output and input that turns into a usb connection. It's around $39 or so. It works great. Comes with a demo for Acid Pro.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Can't you just buy the Toneport and run the POD into it?

what do you mean?
Quote by OhSoInsane
what do you mean?

Well it's a POD xt Live with the footboard thing right? So you can use that to get all your tone out of and maybe just use the Toneport GX as a DI unit that doesn't interfere with the tone at all.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well it's a POD xt Live with the footboard thing right? So you can use that to get all your tone out of and maybe just use the Toneport GX as a DI unit that doesn't interfere with the tone at all.

so you mean it goes from:

Guitar -> Pod xt (sound processing) -> Toneport (set on Bypass) -> PC?
that would work if ur using toneport as a bypass (1/4inch from pod to toneport to usb to pc) but i use a creative EMU model and mic my amp, but it also works if i run
guitar -> fx -> Emu -> pc, but thats only wen i need quiet practice at 2 in the am.
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
I see. Thanks for the reply.

One more question however, will this result in a quality loss compared to just going from:
Guitar -> POD -> PC? If there is sufficient loss then I might just get my pod fixed...
I don't know but if you want an example of the kind of quality that using the Toneport as a DI gets you should listen to my 3 chord vamp jam on my profile; the lead was recorded using the Toneport to DI my Maxon OD808.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
nice work on the tone and songs! I am pretty sure though that you can simulate better effects with just using toneport, why dont you give that a shot? Looks like I will just buy a Toneport as well
Quote by OhSoInsane
nice work on the tone and songs! I am pretty sure though that you can simulate better effects with just using toneport, why dont you give that a shot? Looks like I will just buy a Toneport as well

To be honest I'm not sure, I think if I worked on the EQ a bit more the Maxon would sound better than the Gearbox software but I really can't be bothered to be honest.

If you're interested all the other lead parts in the other songs were recorded using the Gearbox models, most of the backing tracks were from guitarbt.com so you really can't judge those at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
The toneport DI seems like a kick ass deal, I mean gold bundle with all those effects/amps for 100 bucks? insane... lol
I might just record guitar->toneport->PC. heh. but then again, it will be a problem to switch patches in between songs...
So... if I buy the gold bundle with the Toneport DI, will my pod xt be able to play all the "new" amps/fx etc?
Quote by OhSoInsane
The toneport DI seems like a kick ass deal, I mean gold bundle with all those effects/amps for 100 bucks? insane... lol
I might just record guitar->toneport->PC. heh. but then again, it will be a problem to switch patches in between songs...
So... if I buy the gold bundle with the Toneport DI, will my pod xt be able to play all the "new" amps/fx etc?

I have no idea, the only other line6 gear I own is an Uber Metal pedal that I hardly ever use because it eats batteries like a bastard and my Laney sounds better even when it's quiet.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mwalluk
Go to Target. They have a connection which has a 1/4 inch output and input that turns into a usb connection. It's around $39 or so. It works great. Comes with a demo for Acid Pro.

This. I use the same thing, works great fo $40.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
This. I use the same thing, works great fo $40.

Yea but I think this guy is talking about the LightSnake cable. This cable got really bad reviews on musician's friend, harmony central and zzounds!