What do you consider the main contributors to making people want to pick up the guitar these days?

For the record, I have already put down:

- Guitar Hero
- Rockband
- School of Rock
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I remember in 8th grade I wanted to play guitar because my friend did. And he was a total bad ass

we're not that great of friends anymore though

Haha that basically what my influence was too. We were great friends forever when he started to play guitar, and I was like "Hey, I want to do that too!" So here I am, still playing guitar, while he is not as great of a friend anymore and stopped playing awhile ago.
Always wanted to learn how to play, finally had the chance to pick it up last summer. Friend helped me get started.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Liking music with guitars in it?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by KolosoK
Always wanted to learn how to play, finally had the chance to pick it up last summer. Friend helped me get started.

same with me
My friend was amazing, and still is amazing, but now on like six other instruments, anyway he said he would help me out if i got a guitar so convinced my parents and got one for christmas
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Quote by MaddGIJoe
Haha that basically what my influence was too. We were great friends forever when he started to play guitar, and I was like "Hey, I want to do that too!" So here I am, still playing guitar, while he is not as great of a friend anymore and stopped playing awhile ago.

Exactly... 4 years ago my friend started playing, and like 2 weeks later i got a starter yamaha rofl.. we Used to play a lot together but now he's super hardcore metal and I'm a bluesman :P so we are still friends.. just jamming is interesting.
My dad plays but he was bad so i made him buy me a guitar so i could show him how its done, no sooner had i got better than him he moved out........
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
My dad plays but he was bad so i made him buy me a guitar so i could show him how its done, no sooner had i got better than him he moved out........

This made me go "OMG DEJA VU!".

My brother started playing before I did, and kept showing me up with novice songs, so I bought my guitar, and played until (and he denies this) I got better than him, which prompted him to quit. He claims he just hated playing, but that's a crock. Then he tried bass and gave up on that. I wish he would still play.

Sorry about your dad, though.