i've been meaning to build a tube amp for a while but i'm having trouble finding a good kit to start with. i want somewhere between probably 20-30 watts and something that i can get i nice bluesy overdrive with.

i do know about electronics in general and have taken classes in it. i don't know much about tubes, but i'm up for learning about them.

everywhere i look they just have like 400 schematics and no suggestions, i kinda just want to know what i should build to get started.
How much money do you have to spend and what country do you live in?
Not taking any online orders.
i live in the US, and i'm not so much concerned with price, but i was expecting to spend between 200 and 500 dollars.
For 15-30 watts you are going to need to up your budget by about 20%

I'd suggest you start off with a tweed deluxe style amp. It's a simple amp to build and has a nice full overdrive. It doesn't, however, have very much headroom but if your main thing is bluesy overdrive then you shouldn't need lots of headroom.
These guys have the best kits I've seen

https://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/

If you are really seriouse about this I might be able to get you a deal where you would get the full kit with a cab for around $650 plus shipping. I'm not 100% sure I could get them to drop ship it to you though so I'd have to check that for you.
^I bought the boggiemite kit from them a couple years ago. To make a long story short, the kit was missing half the parts including the chassis and output transformer and the instructions that came with it were wrong. I spoke to them about the incorrect instructions and they told me maybe if I bought his book I could figure it out myself. They told me they would ship the missing parts but after a month they still hadn't come. I called and they said they hadn't shipped them yet but the would. I called them every couple weeks for several months racking up very large international phone bills. I never got the parts and 2 years later I still don't have the compleat kit.

So to sum it all up. Dan Torres is a liar and a theif and nobody should do business with him
sorry my computer stopped working or something for a little while.

so you recommend this one:
https://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=46623&pg=44991&id=5550002

do you know the company or are you just a good customer?

and some questions about the amp for the sake of being a conscientious consumer:

i plan on using it mostly for jamming, but how would it do on stage if i were to mic it?

what exactly do you mean by "headroom?"

and does this kit include everything that i would need to play the amp?

thanks for your help
I went and read a little on the torres site. There is a basic kit that doesnt include a chassis or transformer and comes with "basic" instructions obviously for the more advanced builder. And there is a full kit that has all the parts and better instructions makes no mention of an enclosure so guess you will need to build one. But out of curiosity I went and looked around on the net and indeed torres has a real problem with customer service and missing parts. If you have a problem its not because of a bad schematic, crappy instructions, or missing parts. Its the buyers fault. So yea would definatly be better places to buy from. But a kit would be the way to go so you dont have to many problems.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Blue Motion
sorry my computer stopped working or something for a little while.

so you recommend this one:
https://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=46623&pg=44991&id=5550002

do you know the company or are you just a good customer?

I order lots of parts from them but I'm not part of their company. I just buy enough stuff that I get a discount.

i plan on using it mostly for jamming, but how would it do on stage if i were to mic it?

It's plenty loud on stage if you mic it and you you are not looking for clean tone. If you want clean tone then it may not be loud enough. You can, however, add a line out that will let you run the amp directly into a PA giving you all the volume you want.

The amp alone is more than enough for most jam sessions.

what exactly do you mean by "headroom?"

That is how loud it can get before the amp starts to distort. If an amp has lots of headroom it means you can turn it up very loud and still get clean tone. If it doesnt have a lot of headroom it means it will distort at low volume.

and does this kit include everything that i would need to play the amp?

Yes, it comes with everything
Quote by Tackleberry
I went and read a little on the torres site. There is a basic kit that doesnt include a chassis or transformer and comes with "basic" instructions obviously for the more advanced builder. And there is a full kit that has all the parts and better instructions makes no mention of an enclosure so guess you will need to build one.

I had gotten the advanced kit and it was supposed to come with the chassis and enclosure but it didn't have either one.

If you have a problem its not because of a bad schematic, crappy instructions, or missing parts.
I don't know about now, but when I got mine they didn't have a schematic at all and the layout they gave me was missing bits the colour coading for the transformer was wrong. I thought maybe they just didn't include everything so I had them email me a PDF and it turned out that the instructions were just incompleat. I talked to Dan himself and he couldn't even figure out the colour coading issue. He was supposed to find out the proper way to wire the thing and email me the compleat instructions but he never did.
^^ I was agreeing with theres alot of ticked off people with bad things to say about torres. Same problems missing parts, bad instructions, bad service, bad designs. Ive dealt with people like him before nicest guy ever until hes got your money.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I order lots of parts from them but I'm not part of their company. I just buy enough stuff that I get a discount.

It's plenty loud on stage if you mic it and you you are not looking for clean tone. If you want clean tone then it may not be loud enough. You can, however, add a line out that will let you run the amp directly into a PA giving you all the volume you want.

The amp alone is more than enough for most jam sessions.

That is how loud it can get before the amp starts to distort. If an amp has lots of headroom it means you can turn it up very loud and still get clean tone. If it doesnt have a lot of headroom it means it will distort at low volume.

Yes, it comes with everything

yeah, this looks perfect for me. i'm not worried about the headroom, i have another amp i could use for a clean sound.

so do you think you could get me a deal?