I have an arbor sting ray copy, but id really like to get a p-bass type tone out of it, as very common in punk and pop-punk.

what sort of strings and pickups should i use to replace the ones on my bass?

the pickup is the traditional musicman humbucker size

EDIT: and dont tell me to get a p-bass. my bass i have now is a $250 bass, i just dont really like the tone of it, and i can't afford to spend more than maybe $120 to fix it up
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Last edited by wshnationals at Jun 1, 2008,
Why does the P-Bass have that P-Bass tone... Because it has a P-Bass Pickup.

Strings wont do much in this case as the p-bass sound is more determined by the p Pickup then type of strings.

You might come close using an EQ pedal and playing around but you will never get the exact sound cause a humbucker simply sounds different then a P pickup.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
ben yes it's doable and yes it would take some doing but it would still sound wrong because a p bass also relies heavily on the pickup placement to give it that middy punch

if i'm thinking correctly then it's actually very easy to do the mod this kid wants. providing he's handy with a router because he'll need to route out a new pickup cavity where the p bass pickup would be on a p bass then route a channel from that cavity to the existing pickup cavity for the wires and route the p bass pickup shape out of the pickguard. then he'd have to go on the seymour duncan website and pull up the wiring diagram for a standard jazz bass and use that providing his bass is already passive. if it's active then he'd have to add a 3 way switch between the pickups and volume control

to be fair to the kid it's quite a good idea and if i had an old stingray copy lying round i'd do this mod
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by wshnationals

EDIT: and dont tell me to get a p-bass. my bass i have now is a $250 bass, i just dont really like the tone of it, and i can't afford to spend more than maybe $120 to fix it up

Stupid question but if you don't like the sound of your bass then why the hell did you get it?

120 is not enough to make it sound like a p bass. The pickups alone will cost near 100 bucks. Fitting them in the humbucker slot might work but you will need to fill up the holes and a great chance they are not in the right position. To that 100 buck you will need to add rewiring and maybe a pot etc. And even then it won't sound the same because of the holes you had to fill up.

So allthough you dont want to hear it. If you want a bass sounding like a P-Bass, get a P-Bass. You just wasted 250 on a bass you dont like and adding 120 in an attempt to make it sound like a P-bass will add to the money waste.

So to my humble opinion this is a bad idea.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino

If you want a bass sounding like a P-Bass, get a P-Bass. You just wasted 250 on a bass you dont like and adding 120 in an attempt to make it sound like a P-bass will add to the money waste.

+fitz

if you have two p-ups, try soloing the neck p-up, and work with the EQ. if it's a single
p-up (placed near the bridge), your screwed. sell the bass and get a P Bass. there is no substitute for the P sound. my Jazz can get close, but not like the real thing.