I'm looking into two different cabs for my Carvin Legacy 100w head.
They are both avatar 212 cabs. One has a Vintage 30 and one G12H30 rated at 8 ohms and 60 watts with an open back.

The other has two Vintage 30 celestions with a closed back rated at 8 ohms but 120 watts.
Why is there a wattage difference?
Will one be louder than the other?
Would my 100 watt head blow out the 60 watt cab?

Thanks in advance
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
There is a chance that a 100w head will blow out a 60w cab, I don't know how hard you'd have to be running it but personally I wouldn't risk it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The watts are different because those are the power handling of the speakers. They only take so much before they blow!

I'd go for the 2 Vintage 30s anyway. Great choice by the way. Carvin kicks ass.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
The watts are different because those are the power handling of the speakers. They only take so much before they blow!

I'd go for the 2 Vintage 30s anyway. Great choice by the way. Carvin kicks ass.

Ok, thanks guys! And yes, Carvin kicks major ass!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads

Why is there a wattage difference?

Different speakers can handle different amounts of power.
Quote by ValoRhoads

Will one be louder than the other?

Maybe - wattage has nothing to do with it really, it's called speaker sensitivity or something. Different speakers have different sensitivity levels, although the effect probably won't be that big.
Quote by ValoRhoads

Would my 100 watt head blow out the 60 watt cab?

Yes, it might if you turn it up too high.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
it has been said that a 100w amplifier can blow a 100w cabinet, so a 120w cab would be the lowest i'd go to be on the safe side.

This is if you are intending on fully cranking your amp
Quote by Mesa_Rory
it has been said that a 100w amplifier can blow a 100w cabinet, so a 120w cab would be the lowest i'd go to be on the safe side.

This is if you are intending on fully cranking your amp

It sort of depends, amps can put out more than they're rated - but speakers are usually rated with that in mind. Some old amps actually had speakers in them that could handle less than what the amp put out, thus leading to speaker breakup (which was a wanted thing).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.