i was trying to figure out what are the chord progressions in b minor scale
B C# D E F# G A B B C# D E F# G A B
1 3 5 B Major B Minor Scale

C# D# E F# G# A B C#
1 3 5

In this case a need to flatten the G# because it doesnt match with the b minor scale but it gives me this formula: 1 3 b5 but that doesnt exist or does it? if it does what is it?

maybe this formula to know chords progressions only works with major scale, if it does... how do i know them in other scales???
First of all, there's no G# in the key of B minor, I don't know where you got that.

In B minor, the chords are the following:
B minor
C# diminished
D major
E minor
F# minor
G major
A major

The general form for the chords of a minor key are i, iidim, III, iv, v, VI, VII. Lowercase chords are minor, uppercase are major, and "iidim" is a diminished chord.
Quote by k7jetto
Whats the pattern for major key scales?

I
ii
iii
IV
V
vi
viidim

Same notation as above. In C major, that'd be:
C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B diminished
Related question: if you are playing something like, D major then E major, what key would you be in? Would it just be switching keys, or would it just be up to whichever it seems to sound like overall? Or D lydian?
Quote by alexcp94
yea but there you dont explain how to get the patterns for the otehr types of scales

What other types of scales?
Quote by CloserToTheSun
Related question: if you are playing something like, D major then E major, what key would you be in? Would it just be switching keys, or would it just be up to whichever it seems to sound like overall? Or D lydian?

Do you mean D major chord then E major chord? If not, what? Please clarify.
Quote by :-D
What other types of scales?

Do you mean D major chord then E major chord? If not, what? Please clarify.

Yes, D major then E major.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
More than likely, it's a bluesy song in the key of E, nothing truely modal.

But D major is not in the key of E. So, if I were to interpret your post as to answering my question, would that mean that the key of chord progressions not fitting the maj/min/min/etc. cannot be found other than listening to it?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yeah, I suppose so.

But you can also know that this is how a bluesy song works.

well could some one explain me how do i resolve this problem...?

D E F# G A B C# D

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

there are two problems

This gives notes C# E# G#.E# (3) and G# (5) are not in the key of C, and must be sharped to F# (b3) and G (b5), respectively. This gives us scale degrees 1 #3 b5, which is the formula for a I DONT KNOW??
Quote by alexcp94
well could some one explain me how do i resolve this problem...?

D E F# G A B C# D

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

there are two problems

This gives notes C# E# G#.E# (3) and G# (5) are not in the key of C, and must be sharped to F# (b3) and G (b5), respectively. This gives us scale degrees 1 #3 b5, which is the formula for a I DONT KNOW??

You have to clarify at some point. This post makes no sense whatsoever.
What is it you're trying to figure out?

Edit: The fact that your post is so inane makes me think you need to start from the beginning. Read the first little bit of the theory link in my sig (up to modes).
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Edit: The fact that your post is so inane makes me think you need to start from the beginning. Read the first little bit of the theory link in my sig (up to modes).

i already know all of that!! the problems is that the intervals give me 1 #3 and b5 but that triad doesnt exist
Last edited by alexcp94 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I know myself a bit of theory, have a teacher, but don't see him until thursday. I am not trying to figure out anything specific (song-wise). Let me try wording it again.

You know how for, say in the key of C major, the chords that would fit would be

Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj
Amin
Bdim

If you had a progression such as Cmaj, Dmaj. Because the chords do not fit into the above list, and do not fit into the key of D major, this is my question: what is the key? Does the key change each time you switch chords, or does whichever seems like the tonal center dictate the key?
Quote by CloserToTheSun
I know myself a bit of theory, have a teacher, but don't see him until thursday. I am not trying to figure out anything specific (song-wise). Let me try wording it again.

Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj
Amin
Bdim

If you had a progression such as Cmaj, Dmaj. Because the chords do not fit into the above list, and do not fit into the key of D major, this is my question: what is the key? Does the key change each time you switch chords, or does whichever seems like the tonal center dictate the key?

She was talking to the other guy.

Anyway, determining the key is largely about figuring out the tonal center, which is (obviously) the center of the piece and where the progression wants to resolve to. The key does not change with each chord; otherwise, we simply wouldn't bother determining a key signature in the first place. You have to see where the tonal center is and see how non-chord tones would fit into that key.
Quote by alexcp94
yea but there you dont explain how to get the patterns for the otehr types of scales

Check the comments section.

Also, you could figure it out yourself using the same principles presented in the lesson.

-SD
Quote by CloserToTheSun

Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj
Amin
Bdim

Cmaj and Dmaj are chords in the key of G Maj - but I don't think just playing a vamp of C, D,C,D etc is G major. That would be C Lydian I would say...
Quote by :-D
I
ii
iii
IV
V
vi
viidim

Same notation as above. In C major, that'd be:
C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B diminished

and whats the patter for minor, and melodic?
Quote by alexcp94
and whats the patter for minor, and melodic?

We'll use C minor and C melodic minor:
C minor - C D Eb F G Ab Bb
C melodic minor - C D Eb F G A B

I'm not differentiating between ascending descending because that's rarely used in modern music.
C minor:
C minor
D diminished
Eb major
F minor
G minor
Ab major
Bb Major

C melodic minor:
C minor
D minor
Eb augmented
F major
G major
A diminished
B diminished

Keep in mind the melodic minor is rarely used to maintain chord progression on its own.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Check the comments section.

Also, you could figure it out yourself using the same principles presented in the lesson.

-SD

i really dont understand how to do it could you explain me please?
could you give me an example of the eb chord of the c minor scale please??
Quote by alexcp94
could you give me an example of the eb chord of the c minor scale please??

What are you talking about? It's just an Eb major chord.