every time i try to improvise, whether its with a pentatonic scale, an arpegio, or w/e, i always end up playing similar phrases over and over again in the same rhythms. how exactly can i fix this?
1. Find backing tracks and play over them, experimenting with different rhythmic ideas.
2. Take a metronome, set a tempo and time signature, and figure out all the different ways to play the subdivisions of the beats.
Learn a song or solo, take bits out of the solo and add em into your own improvisation so you have a larger arsenel of licks
Manipulate your others till their different and use those.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Listen to different guitarist and immulate or use thier riff's
Pretty much like charlie say..i have recording collections of just
solos or riffs from songs of veriouse guitarist that i like.

How familar are you with the fretboard ?

Try playing a solos via PIMA picking...it's cool after you get
use to doing it.

Also try learning new scales, the same concepts as a colletion
of riffs...now in scales.
Quote by ordinary
Listen to different guitarist, than emulate and use their riff's.

Pretty much like what charlie__flynn said. I have a collection of recordings of solos and riffs from songs by various guitarists.

How familar are you with the guitar's fretboard?

Try playing a solo using 'PIMA' picking. It's cool to use after you get
used to playing like that.

Also try learning new scales, the same concepts as a colletion
of riffs...now in scales.
Fix'd

Good post, except for the last paragraph. Keep with the major scale.
i always end up playing similar phrases over and over again in the same rhythms. how exactly can i fix this?
With just you and your guitar (no backing tracks) think of a few notes in your head, hum/sing them out loud, then try to play them (or something close) on your guitar. Keep thinking of new little phrases and trying to play them. Gradually make the phrases longer (don't go overboard). Now have a go at doing the same thing over a simple backing track. Just keep working at it, play from your ear, head and heart, not your fingers.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums