so this is natural minor in the key of A right?

e---------------------------------------5-7-8----------------------------
b-------------------------------5-6-8------------------------------------
g-----------------------4-5-7--------------------------------------------
d-----------------5-7----------------------------------------------------
a---------5-7-8----------------------------------------------------------
e--5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------

but what if i change one note, i notice slash does this in a song called double talkin jive

e---------------------------------------5-7-8----------------------------
b-------------------------------5-6-8------------------------------------
g-----------------------4-5-7--------------------------------------------
d-----------------5-6 ----------------------------------------------------
a---------5-7-8----------------------------------------------------------
e--5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------

now what is it?
That A (7th fret on the D string) has become G#, so it would become A harmonic minor; however, the G had returned to natural at the end so it's back to A natural minor.

That's the technical description. However, it is more sensible to look at it as A minor with a G# added in chromatically.
Quote by :-D
That A (7th fret on the D string) has become G#, so it would become A harmonic minor; however, the G had returned to natural at the end so it's back to A natural minor.

That's the technical description. However, it is more sensible to look at it as A minor with a G# added in chromatically.

I don't think it would be right to call it a harmonic minor at all, since it has both the G# and the G... so my guess is that it's nothing more than a chromatic passing note.
Quote by :-D

thanks very much man, was thinking of harmonic minor but i wasn't sure
Quote by michal23
I don't think it would be right to call it a harmonic minor at all, since it has both the G# and the G... so my guess is that it's nothing more than a chromatic passing note.

It would really depend on the harmonic context, but see my second paragraph for my final thought on it.