OK, at home, and guitar lessons, and with my old band, im 100% metal, megadeth, metallica, pantera, lamb of god, trivium, basically all metal

but recently, ive started to record my own songs, and me another guy and a girl started a band.
i wasnt expecting to get anywhere, i thought it would just be a bit of fun.
i was borrowing his spare acoustic and we were playin songs like 'Let it out' by starrfadu, then makin our own acoustic versions of songs, so its easier for hannah to sing cos she has a soft voice, an amazing voice though.
and because of her amazing voice, we have been asked by people to go into the rock concerts at our school a lot, and we want to enter arts festival
and now i need to buy an acoustic
but as ive usually been an electric guy, i have no idea where to start with acoustics, i know everything about electrics, and i can recommend a gutiar t someone in a few minutes, but i need help with an acoustic
first, to get a semi decent one for small gigs such as arts festival and at school, how much would i need to spend
i was hopin to get an alright one for £200, is this reasonable?
and can you recommend me one.
are all acoustics good for all types of music, like, could i buy a guitar and be able to do fingerpicking, strumming, and all kinds of acoustic style, or are guitars limited to what style they can do?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
I dont know much about acoustics either, im just getting into them, but i just felt like telling you Lamb of God and Trivium are not metal.
imho, lamb of god's kinda emo-quasi-alt-metal but whatever. to answer your question, acoustics are pretty versitile. i have a fender acoustic, pretty standard, about$200, and i play evrything from jack johnson to nirvana to coldplay on it. so, yeah, any acoustic can be used for almost any style. the only thing i would say is get elixir strings cuz they kick ass.
wait a minute, fez. this isn't like the time you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it, is it? - kelso on that 70s show
yeh redneck is awesome, but we should stop mentionin metal cos this is the acoustic guitar forum

does anyone have any brands that they recomend for lower range guitars?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Look, this isn't a thread about Lamb of God and personally I think just because someone said something about Lamb of God not being metal or what ever doesn't mean you have to be just as much of a douche and post about it. Which might I say, is spam. It would be very much appreciated if you didn't spam.

As for the guitar. I don't think you could get an alright acoustic for 200 new. If you looked you could probably find one good around 200 used. Look at some pawnshops and local guitar stores. Don't worry to much about the brand although I think I had seen a really good Yamaha around at a pawnshop for about 200. Since you know how to play guitar you should just go an play those in your price range. Oh, and just because one brand makes good electric guitars, doesn't mean they make good acoustic guitars.
Quote by chippythingy

i was hopin to get an alright one for £200, is this reasonable?
and can you recommend me one.
are all acoustics good for all types of music, like, could i buy a guitar and be able to do fingerpicking, strumming, and all kinds of acoustic style, or are guitars limited to what style they can do?

That is very reasonable for a first acoustic. If you're planning on gigging with this guitar, you might want to look into electric-acoustics. Having a built in pickup just makes it easier to amplify your guitar, you won't have to fuss around with a mic, just have to plug it in.

If you want a good all-around guitar, the most popular style is the dreadnought steel string. Another option is the jumbo style. Once again, if you plan on performing with the guitar then volume and projection are important so concert or OOO/OO sizes would not be the best choice.

The best thing to do is just go to a big guitar store and play everything in your price range. I read this advice somewhere - "Buy the guitar that sings to you." And it's very true, because there are such a variety of tones and characters that much of the decision-making process is very subjective once you have the field narrowed down a bit.

[edit] Btw, at that price you should DEFINITELY aim to get a solid top. Acoustics are entirely dependent on resonance for their sound, so don't underestimate the importance of solid woods and build quality. I doubt you'd find much in the way of solid back and sides in this price range (maybe a used Epiphone Masterbilt?), but having a solid top makes the most difference anyway. Do not get distracted by pretty guitars that are covered in bling to make up for laminate tops and inferior build quality.
Last edited by sunshowers at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Oh, and just because one brand makes good electric guitars, doesn't mean they make good acoustic guitars.
So true. Some examples of this would be Fender and Ibanez, which get plenty of respect for their electrics. You'll find that acoustic players are not so fond of them.
some ovations arent horribly priced in the high range and they dont sound too shabby.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Dang dude you have like, the exact same story that I had. Lol

For a good acoustic guitar around that price, I would suggest the epiphone dove or hummingbird.

They both sound really bright and clean.
NOSEPICKING IS NOT COOOOOOOOL

FINGERPICKING IS!!!!!!

My Gear.:.:
Epiphone AJ-100CE (Acoustic Electric)
Taylor 214CE (Acoustic Electric)
Dean Dime-O-Flage (Electric)
Fender 20W Amp
Breedlove or Alvarez. And he is talking about euros not dollars to whoever got that mixed up.

/Thread