Hey UG!

I was just hoping that some of you sheer rock personalities could offer advice about not being nervous when playing in front of people, as well as tips regarding stage presence.

It's just because I have a music audition in the next few weeks, but after playing at Church today, I sorta realised that even in front of a small group of people that I mostly know, I would hold back and definately wouldn't play as well as I KNOW I can.

Thanks guys & gals!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Just picture everyone in the audience laughing at you while you're playing... oh yeah, and pretend you're naked while this is happening.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Don't think about the crowd, don't pretend you are the only one there. Just DON'T THINK about ANYTHING. (Except for what you are playing of course)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Have the lights shining directly in your face so you can't see the crowd.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
do gigs whilst nodding off on heroin, your playing will suffer horribly, but you will be so strung out you won't care.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
the only real way to get over it is to just play through your fear.eventually you wont have any
Quote by SupremeACL
Have the lights shining directly in your face so you can't see the crowd.

Agreed. That and/or make a glass case that you sit in while playing, but it's soundproofed...and it's a one-way window so they can see you but you can't see them. That's my master plan anyway hahahah. Then again I really don't ever plan on playing in front of an audience.
=1 to trendkiller.

i wonder how many of the ppl who answered actually haved played in front of ppl?
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Remind yourself that ultimately, you're up there for you. Just filter em out and concentrate on what got you on stage in the first place.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
BEST ADVICE RIGHT HERE

step 1. pull down ur pants b4 ur solo

step 2. head bang a little

step 3. take a **** during your sweep pickings

everyone will talk about u for a week
I had my first show yesterday and it wasn`t bad at all. I was more nervous a week ago when
I was told that we are supposed to play. Just stay cool, dont stand still in the same place,
dont have a sad face expression. I realised then it was as "stressful" as a practice gig.

check my video, im the guy with the yellow les paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp6j1_sn-g&feature=related
I have this problem too...I perform horribly under pressure, even if I know and like everyone there, but put me in an empty room and I sound eargasmic.

Quote by kop4
I had my first show yesterday and it wasn`t bad at all. I was more nervous a week ago when
I was told that we are supposed to play. Just stay cool, dont stand still in the same place,
dont have a sad face expression. I realised then it was as "stressful" as a practice gig.

I don't see you...but I think the old dude is really showing you up
Quote by kop4

Think you linked the wrong video there mate lol
Look just over the heads of the crowd, move around, feel loose in general.
And yes i do have experience with playing front of people. My first time i was nervous, but after the first times over you realize its not that big of a deal. Worst thing that can happen is you can mess up and everyone does sometimes. Also, if you do mess up don't stop or give any sign that you did just keep going and likely no one but you and your bandmates will know the difference. The most important thing is keeping the rhythm of the song steady as a rhythmic mistake will stand out more than a wrong note.
ive played a lot of times for my church as bass and vocals.
the first time you play, you'll get a sort of a stagefright, but after you perform a couple of times, it wears out and you get better overtime.
also, dont stress yourself about mistakes you make while playing.
like Faux said, nobody will know the difference if it is a minor one.
i have made plenty of mistakes myself (note-wise and lyric-wise), but nobody mentioned anything after the performance, so it was all still good.
Five ways to kill someone

Number 1.

Number 2.

Number 3.

Number 4.

Number 5.
(for the slow ones, its called AIDS)
as for stage prescence, what i do is nod my head to the rhythm, move around a bit, and clap or say things to pump up the audience.
i found that all of those things work and the crowd will have a better vibe and emotion of you playing and/or singing.
but make sure you dont have a blank face and stand still for the whole performance, or the audience will start to lose its focus on you.

hope it all goes well for you, by the way.
Five ways to kill someone

Number 1.

Number 2.

Number 3.

Number 4.

Number 5.
(for the slow ones, its called AIDS)