Ok, I have been looking for a versitle tube amp that I would use mostly for classic rock and Blues and maybe a bit of light metal for around $300-$350. Also I only need (and only want) 15-30 watts.

I was originally going to get a Peavy Valveking but its cleans were crap and the distortion only sounded good when it was past 6 or 7.

Now I have been looking at the Fender Super Champ XD for a while when I noticed everyone calling it a hybrid amp. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean it wont sound as good as one that isnt a hybrid amp? I'm preety sure its all tube anyway (It has 1 preamp tube and 2 power amp tubes).

Help...

Also if you can think of any other amps that fit what I'm looking for in my price range that would also help alot.

Thank You
Check out the Vox Valvetronix line.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I've heard bad bad things about the Vox Valvetronix line....

I have the AD50VT (the 50 watt one), and it's really good. Check it out.
But back to my original question....is it because these are "hybrid" amps they wont sound as good a "tube" amps???
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
But back to my original question....is it because these are "hybrid" amps they wont sound as good a "tube" amps???

Not necessarily true...some people will argue that certain solid state amps sound better than certain tube amps...it's all about personal preference.
Ok, more about Super Champ XD...

I think the only reason its called a hybrid amp it becasue of the built in effects becasue it has the single preamp tube and tow power tubes

I'm sirsouly lost right now people
But the Valvetronix has 1 tube, Super Champ XD has 3, does that make it sound more like a tube amp?
The Super Champ XD is all tube, if it was hybrid it would a solid state pre/power amp? Not sure but im 90% sure the XD is tube.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Thats mainly what I'm trying to figure out. Here's my theory:

The Super Champ XD is all tube but because it has to go through the built in effects which rob the sound a little bit (wether you using them or not) its called "hybrid"

If thats the case I think I have my next amp

On the issue of valvetronix:
Actually, I just called my buddy who has a valvetronix about this whole issue and I had him come over and I have to say I don't like it. It sounds the same as a SS amp, just a lil' warmer.
It's 3/4 tube. The preamp section is split between the modeling and the tube section. The power amp is all tube
Quote by yocomobebes
The Super Champ XD is all tube, if it was hybrid it would a solid state pre/power amp? Not sure but im 90% sure the XD is tube.

Most 'hybrids' have 1 preamp tube, and then the rest is transistor based.

But I'm confident in saying that the super champ is all tube because it has a tube preamp and poweramp. It just has a digital modeling system, probably similar to the spider valves.
Quote by saltysnail
It's 3/4 tube. The preamp section is split between the modeling and the tube section. The power amp is all tube

Ok in laymans terms because I'm an idiot... ...are you basicly saying that it will sound mosly like an all tube amp but with modeling at the expense of a little tone?

I can live with that if thats the case
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Ok in laymans terms because I'm an idiot... ...are you basicly saying that it will sound mosly like an all tube amp but with modeling at the expense of a little tone?

I can live with that if thats the case

yes that's pretty much what i'm saying. I was SO close to buying one myself. They're a great deal in my opinion.
Ok thank you saltysnail I'm probobly going to go get this amp sometime this week.

Its has everything i'm looking for: Its (basicly) a tube amp, It has versitality with the amp models and effects, and from the sound clips I have heard so far it has that classic fender sparkle.

I think we can finally put an end to this horrbly cofusing thread
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Ok thank you saltysnail I'm probobly going to go get this amp sometime this week.

Its has everything i'm looking for: Its (basicly) a tube amp, It has versitality with the amp models and effects, and from the sound clips I have heard so far it has that classic fender sparkle.

I think we can finally put an end to this horrbly cofusing thread

They are defeinelty better than vox avts... Super champs are almost all tube with the exception of the fx and half the preamp. Vox's only have one preamp tube and the rest is transistors for the power amp. Excelent amp choice
fender Superchamp xd > vox ones. line 6 ones and marshall ones

id personally say tht the vox ones are like in the middle of valve and soid state but the superchamps are 3/4 of the way to valve.
Last edited by stewart91 at Jun 1, 2008,
All the suggestions haven't been very good so far. Go for a Blackheart or a Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
tbh pound for pound, doller for doller whatever the superchamp and BJ are both worth every penny, but if u want all valve BJ if thats too much id have a superchamp over blackheart, fender can just make amps that well

and being fair above person he did say hybrid amps
Last edited by stewart91 at Jun 1, 2008,
Oh just wondering, can you bypass the effects/modeling on the Superchamp XD?
That'd make a fine portable/practice amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you want a portable practice amp, fender makes an awesome 5w all tube combo.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I would prefer an all tube amp to the super champ XD but its hard to find a nice one in my price range.

Blues Jr. is good but I would prefer 2 channels. Peavy Classic 30 is perfect but It costs too much and I dont like to buy used.

sorry to be picky...

I know crate has a bad rep but how are the V series?
Oh almost forgot... just got back from guitar center after trying the super champ XD!

Heres how it works: First channel is 100% tube clean...sounds amazing. Second channel adds in effects but it still sounds at least 80% tube. Almost walked out with it right then.