i was trying to get the chord progression for d mayor but when i try to get c# this happens:

D E F# G A B C# D D Major scale

C# D# F F# G# A# C C# C# Major scale

i need to make F sharp and G flat but i dont know of any triad that has those

triads:
mayor 1 3 5
minor 1 b3 5
augmented 1 3 5#
diminished 1 b3 b5

help please?
Last edited by alexcp94 at Jun 1, 2008,
are you aware that its maJor?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
C# Major scale:

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

That should solve your problems
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
actually, to be correct there is no C# major, just Db major, because then you run into repeating letters in the scale. what i mean is that

C# D# F F# G# A# C C# looks better as Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

although there is a C# minor (C# D# E F# G# A B C#) and no Db minor

and now i don't understand your question
Quote by gbdp54
actually, to be correct there is no C# major, just Db major, because then you run into repeating letters in the scale. what i mean is that

although there is a C# minor (C# D# E F# G# A B C#) and no Db minor

and now i don't understand your question
Oh, D...

The quoted post is completely incorrect, except for there being no Db minor.
the leading tone chord almost never works in popular music

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

C# major does exist, and it's notes are C# D# E# F# G# A# B#
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by timzee117
the leading tone chord almost never works in popular music

whats the leading tone
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The note leading to the tonic.

i just forgot what is a tonic lol what is happening to me
oh i remember now so the leading tone of c mayor scale would be b?
well could some one explain me how do i resolve this problem...?

D E F# G A B C# D

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

there are two problems

This gives notes C# E# G#.E# (3) and G# (5) are not in the key of C, and must be sharped to F# (b3) and G (b5), respectively. This gives us scale degrees 1 #3 b5, which is the formula for a I DONT KNOW??
Quote by alexcp94
well could some one explain me how do i resolve this problem...?

D E F# G A B C# D

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

there are two problems

This gives notes C# E# G#.E# (3) and G# (5) are not in the key of C, and must be sharped to F# (b3) and G (b5), respectively. This gives us scale degrees 1 #3 b5, which is the formula for a I DONT KNOW??

What is this supposed to be?
Quote by :-D

What is this supposed to be?

an attempt to determine if C# is diminished , major or minor
It's diminished. The way you form triad chords is by finding the 1 of the chord, then skipping a tone in the scale (not the major scale, but the scale you're using, in this case D major) to find the third, then skipping a tone to find the fifth: C# D E F# G A B. You now have the notes in the C# chord in the key of D major. Compare those notes to the C# major scale. C# is in both scales, E is a half step lower than E#, so the chord must be minor or diminished, and G is a half step lower than G#, so the chord must be diminished.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's diminished. The way you form triad chords is by finding the 1 of the chord, then skipping a tone in the scale (not the major scale, but the scale you're using, in this case D major) to find the third, then skipping a tone to find the fifth: C# D E F# G A B. You now have the notes in the C# chord in the key of D major. Compare those notes to the C# major scale. C# is in both scales, E is a half step lower than E#, so the chord must be minor or diminished, and G is a half step lower than G#, so the chord must be diminished.

i get what you are saying but i thought that if for example, the third of the chord scale is 1 step higher than the key scale note you need to lower it by a half step to make it the same note , but the key scale cant be modified or it doesnt marret wich one is modified, it only need to create a triad that exist?
Last edited by alexcp94 at Jun 1, 2008,
The notes in the C# chord in the key of D major fall in the key of D major. If you don't understand that sentence tell, stop reading and tell me.

Based on my idea in the previous post, the notes in that C# chord are C# E G. Compare those notes to the notes with the similar root letter (C and C# have the same root letter) in the C# major scale. C# is exactly the same, E is a half-step lower than E#, and G is a half step lower than G#. E# is the 3 and G# is the 5, so lowering those a half step yields b3 and b5. C# is the 1, so that yields the formula 1 b3 5b, diminished.