Page 1 of 2
Well, I'll be buying a new amp 4months after I get my new guitar. The guitar will be a Tele or a Jag, so a very Fender sound. Big question, I've got <£500 to spend, preferably around 450. I've got two main choices

First one, which I had decided ona a while ago.

Orange Tiny Terror head and a Vox V12BN 2x12 Cab. £450

Secondly, after a concert tonight and other issues including taking pedals and channels...

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I'll be playing mostly a transfusion of bands like Mars Volta and alternative rock. It's quite a raw kind of sound, very energetic. The only swaying factor is that the Hot Rod has switchable channels, so I can use the drive channel on the HR, and switch to using my Big Muff or RAT. If I use the orange, does it have a decent clean channel?

I'm going for this sound - http://www.myspace.com/sixstarhotel (Listen to Colour The Mess) mixed with ATDI. I know Rodrigues-Lopez uses Orange amps, which is why I like the TT. But The Guitarists of Sixstarhotel (The link) use Marshalls for bigger gigs and Fenders for slightly smaller ones (The Hot Rod is used). Can the TT get decent Alternative sounds? Will it take pedals as well as the Hot Rod?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by MoonageDaydream at Jun 2, 2008,
dude sixstarhotel are sweet, best band from belfast ever.

but on your question, id probably go for tiny terror/vox.
Right ok.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The TT can definately be described as "raw".
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
the Tiny Terror is very versitile and it even takes pedals well. When you talk about the clean on the tiny terror it is amazing.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Hey I've got my recording rig setup, if you want me to record some tt sounds for you?
Cancer Bats are friggin sick. The use a TT in the studio? Wow, just wow.

The TT is only one channel, so for cleans, its all in your technique (i.e. roll back the Vol on your guitar for clean parts. It sounds very nice when doing this. One of the simplest amps you can run!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I love my Hotrod Deluxe SE its a great tube amp its drive channel is not the best but then again i just pump my big muff through the clean channel for my main tone.
Right, seems that the Tiny Terror is winning.

iamtompublic, It would be brilliant if you could record your tiny terror. Thanks in advance
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah, clips of your Tiny Terror would be immense iamtompublic
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Any request of any particual sounds you want?

Clean, neck pickup, etc?

Basically check sig then request any sounds.
I had a Vox Ad15 for a year and 2 months ago got the TT and cab. Haven't looked back since, the gain is perfect for what I play and just sounds sexier the louder it gets. The clean, while it doesn't have a lot of headroom sounds amazing, and can always be mic'd.
Epi Les Paul Standard plus
w/ Seymour Duncan Sh-2n in neck and SH-4 in bridge
Vox Valvetronix
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Bloodshed
Cancer Bats are friggin sick. The use a TT in the studio? Wow, just wow.

The TT is only one channel, so for cleans, its all in your technique (i.e. roll back the Vol on your guitar for clean parts. It sounds very nice when doing this. One of the simplest amps you can run!

Yeah, that's the good thing, would a volume pedal be a good idea or is it just totally unnecessary?

Quote by iamtompublic
Any request of any particual sounds you want?

Clean, neck pickup, etc?

Basically check sig then request any sounds.

Could you do one with each guitar, clean, then switch to dirty, then use the bad monkey? This is probably too much but thanks if you can help. If you really have spare time, could you try get the best alternative sound out of it?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream

Could you do one with each guitar, clean, then switch to dirty, then use the bad monkey? This is probably too much but thanks if you can help. If you really have spare time, could you try get the best alternative sound out of it?

Yeah thats fine, I got next two days off school due to exam leave an my exams are over so i can do that.

I'll go from my favourite clean to fav dirty setting, then show how it cleans up as well.

I'll write down the setting too so you can get an idea.
Quote by iamtompublic
Yeah thats fine, I got next two days off school due to exam leave an my exams are over so i can do that.

I'll go from my favourite clean to fav dirty setting, then show how it cleans up as well.

I'll write down the setting too so you can get an idea.

That'd be fantastic There aren't nearly enough clean clips of the TT about...
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

DUDE

You're a saint
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
you have greater than £500 but less than £450? interesting. do you work for northern rock by any chance?

i'm not much a fan of the HRD. granted it has switchable channels, but i don't see any reason why you'd actually want to use the od channels on that... i'd probably take a look into a laney vc30 or peavey classic 30...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
See, it's a straight up. Cheers for the help anyways. Must've hit the ">" instead of "<"

Fixed now.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think the tiny terror would be best for you. however, you can listen to my HRD in my profile just in case you like it. you know that cleans are awesome, so i suggest listening to "at the end" or better yet "Runaway." I use a tubescreamer now and it really makes the drive channel sound amazing, but these were recorded prior to the tubescreamer. they still sound very nice though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not much a fan of the HRD. granted it has switchable channels, but i don't see any reason why you'd actually want to use the od channels on that....

Agreed, I'm using a tube screamer for drive atm. I've never had a chance to really crank it though so it might be nicer at higher volumes.

TS - I'd go with Tiny Terror. There's a combo version coming out soon-ish that is supposed to have a really nice speaker in.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Jun 2, 2008,
I'm getting a Vox 2x12 because it's cheap and my friend is giving me some Celestions (a Greenback and a Vintage 30) I think he got off an old church's amp or something. He took all their equipment (Including a friggin' organ) and got the decent stuff and freecycled teh rest. Brilliant.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Anyone got any unbiased help for me? I'm back in the pickle. Someone kept telling me how much ebtter the Orange is, but I still don't know if I can get decent Alternative sounds out of it, and if it takes pedals well. I would like to be able to use the clean channel, then the OD, THEN a pedal. But it's not possibele, whereas with the HRD it is.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Used Rocker 30, eats up the TT in terms of tone, EQ, twin channel, just overall better amp
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Anyone got any unbiased help for me? I'm back in the pickle. Someone kept telling me how much ebtter the Orange is, but I still don't know if I can get decent Alternative sounds out of it, and if it takes pedals well. I would like to be able to use the clean channel, then the OD, THEN a pedal. But it's not possibele, whereas with the HRD it is.

roll off volume for clean -> roll on volume for OD -> kick on pedal.

the orange is very versatile, far more so than the HRD...so long as you don't want extreme death metal, you'll be fine.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by Horlicks
Used Rocker 30, eats up the TT in terms of tone, EQ, twin channel, just overall better amp

I doubt I'd find anyone who thinks the Rocker 30 is worth selling would sell it for cheap. It's such a good amp, but at least 900 odd for the halfstack, I'll never find it for that price.

Oh, right thanks for the help. What If the guitar only had 250K pots etc. Or does it not matter?

anyays, I dunno whchone is winning now. Anyone wanna' throw me sound clips or videos of either doing good alternatvie. I know the HRD can do alternative, becuase I've played one. BUt I don't want to by the TT if It just goes from clean to classic rock, to 80's metal. Nothing lighter or more modern, if you knwo what I mean. I'd love a rocker 30, but I can't afford one. And to make it worse, my parents won't let me save more for one.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
I doubt I'd find anyone who thinks the Rocker 30 is worth selling would sell it for cheap. It's such a good amp, but at least 900 odd for the halfstack, I'll never find it for that price.

Oh, right thanks for the help. What If the guitar only had 250K pots etc. Or does it not matter?

anyays, I dunno whchone is winning now. Anyone wanna' throw me sound clips or videos of either doing good alternatvie. I know the HRD can do alternative, becuase I've played one. BUt I don't want to by the TT if It just goes from clean to classic rock, to 80's metal. Nothing lighter or more modern, if you knwo what I mean. I'd love a rocker 30, but I can't afford one. And to make it worse, my parents won't let me save more for one.

Aw f*ck!

Forgot to do those clips for you, damn. I shall bring my camera to practice this weekend and give you a demo of it nice and loud!
Quote by MoonageDaydream

It's 600 new? I've seen Rockerverb 50's go for £600 on ebay, no reason you can't get a Rocker 30.
Rocker 30's occasionally go for about £400 used, you just gotta keep an eye out
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

if ur gettin the hot rod get it from the guitar emporium, reali gd price 4 it,better than matchetts neway
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
^ is it? that's interesting, matchetts often have pretty decent prices. though obviously, like most shops, they're cheaper on some things than others...

what about the orange rocker 30 combo?

EDIT: i didn't realise you were in northern ireland, by the way, moonage. if you can get to 2mac music in banbridge, they're orange dealers (though whether they have a rocker or not, i don't know). would be worth a phone call though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2008,
Cheers, I'll try both out as soon as I can. I'd need to find a head for max £350 though. I can hardly hold out to a 500 quid guitar and a 500 quid amp 4 months later, nevermind any more.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anyone tried the Tiny Terror and Fender Hot Rod head-to-head.

I NEEDS To Know. It's prolly more convienient to get the Tiny Terror, but is there a decent clean channel on it?

BIG Q on Tube Amps. If I have the gain on about 7 or 8 o'Clock, and I stick on my Big Muff with it just feedback or will it just work as if it was clean.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^The Muff will probably just add a fuzz/boost; it won't feedback if you use it properly.

As for the HRD, the only thing it has going for it is the cleans. The overdrive on the TT completely destroys it (Oranges are famous for their OD after all, and the OD on the HRD is mediocre at best). The TT is obviously only 15 watts, which means very little headroom, but if you're miked through a PA, there are no problems.
It's 15 Watts RMS Clean.

Sorry, just had to say.

Anyways, besides that, Thanks for helping.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Anyone tried the Tiny Terror and Fender Hot Rod head-to-head.

I NEEDS To Know. It's prolly more convienient to get the Tiny Terror, but is there a decent clean channel on it?

BIG Q on Tube Amps. If I have the gain on about 7 or 8 o'Clock, and I stick on my Big Muff with it just feedback or will it just work as if it was clean.

the tt has no clean channel, you'd need to roll your guitar's volume down, and it still might not be totally clean.

i haven't tried the head to head, but the fender probably has nicer cleans, while the orange has nicer overdrive. depends which you need more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2