Page 1 of 2
So right now I have a Fender MIM Strat (it is actually very good) and a Marshall MG10 (not sure wat its called, but it is the 10 watt.) and I am looking for all around upgrades. My style is blues, classic rock, whatever Guns N' Roses style is....think they call it heavy metal for them, but I know almost every song by them.

So I am Looking for a:

Guitar:
Amp:
Quote by Briddell
New?

you will get twice the amount/quality of gear if you go used, i recommend it
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
The head alone is 2200? You can buy a Standard LP for that much.

btw what do you think it is more important to have....a good amp or a good guitar?
I am playing with a 05 Fender MIM Strat.
all right, if i were u and wanted to upgrade I would get the Fender Frontman 212R Amp (I have it and it's amazing and only $330) and for guitar either a Fender American Strat (~$1000), Gibson Flying V Faded 3 Pickup (~1000), Gibson Explorer (~$1000) or a Gibson LP Studio (~$1200-$1300); the type you choose is all in your prefrences but i have used all of those (local music store) and they're all great.
The Vox Valvetronix AD50VT or AD100VT are very cool and have modelling for a wide range of sounds. My dad has one and he plays similar music and it sounds really good. I use the XL range, but its just higher gain. I think they are not very expensive either.

For the guitar, it really depends, do you want a fatter tone? Do you want something that doesn't look like a strat? etc. Get something with humbuckers and different wood, that will give you a different tone right there. A Les Paul would work well, since that's what Slash uses. I haven't seen his epiphone signature series anywhere though, it looks pretty nice.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by Les Paul57
all right, if i were u and wanted to upgrade I would get the Fender Frontman 212R Amp (I have it and it's amazing and only $330) and for guitar either a Fender American Strat (~$1000), Gibson Flying V Faded 3 Pickup (~1000), Gibson Explorer (~$1000) or a Gibson LP Studio (~$1200-$1300); the type you choose is all in your prefrences but i have used all of those (local music store) and they're all great.
A Frontman? Are you serious?

I don't think so. Personally, I think you're guitar is just fine for you right now. What you need to switch out is the amp, it makes more of an impact on your sound.

I agree with going used on a Marshall head like a JCM800 or maybe a different combo amp that can get you the sound you want.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by Ghold125
amp: marshall jcm 800
guitar: epiphone custom/elitist

this
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I'd go for a nice Fender or a maybe a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom, leaving you plenty of money to get a nice tube combo or stack. B-52 AT-100 or Peavey Windsor are good examples. But then again, it's all based on preference. I woulldn't get the Fender Frontman or the Faded V.

80th best UGer
you should look into hughes and kettner amplification.... since u alrdy got a strat i advice you to get a humbucker guitar. the schecter blackjack is pretty nice, so is the hellraiser(the white one looks really nice, not menacing in anyway)
I thin you will need a new amp rather than a guitar since you already have a good guitar. Plus a good amp makes any guitar sound good. I'd suggest a Mesa Mark IV (I've played one and It's a pretty versatile amp) but the list price is like 2000$ for the combo =/. You should check out Vox, Marshalls, Peaveys, Mesas...
The Vox AD100VT looks good but I am looking for a tube amp and I dont understand what a hybrid amp head is
Get a JCM 800. Slash used one on Appetite for Destruction, its an amazing amp. You'll have to buy a used one off of ebay, or find one in a pawn shop, ect., because they are out of production. Sersiously, this amp will have you set for life. You can play it in a band, at home, even in a stadium. It simply blows the AD100VT and similar amps out of the water. They run about $700-$1000 used. That leaves you with $800. I would buy an Epipihone Les Paul Custom for about $600, and put some Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros in it. That, with a JCM 800, will get instant Slash tone, plus good rock, blues, and with a pedal, metal tone. You would be crazy not to do this.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Wouldnt I need a cab to go along with the JCM 800 head though......by the way I think I am going Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany....my bff just bought one and I absolutely love playing it....plus it has Burstbuckers...

And yes I did say bff
Ok, you could get burstbuckers instead of Alnico II's if you want. If you can find a JCM 800 for $700-$800, you'll have enough for a used cab. They run around $400 I believe, that may be wrong. Or you could just get a JCM 800 combo. And do not get that Gibson, your amp determines most of your tone. Just find an Epi that plays like a dream.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

fender hot rod amp
or fender blues amp

both good for blues
mess with the knobs you can probably get a decent GNR-type tone

they run around $800 a piece
Used Marshall JCM 800 and Epi LP is your best bet.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Why not get a Gibson? I can get an LP VM for 800 and I know that it will hold its value because well its a Gibson. But I do get where you are coming from with the Epi LP Custom. They are awesome. Just like the LP VM more.
Just because it's Gibson doesn't mean it will retain its value, I don't think.

Are you talking about the Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany? I heard the Studios have a bit of a quality control problem. Mind you, it could be a rumour.

I really can't help since I've never really played Guns 'n' Roses type stuff.
high end epiphone's have better quality control then the low end gibsons. Imo when ever i played any gibson that was less then 2g's i thought that it could be better, with the possibility of the SG standard
xxgibsonsgxx yes I am talking about that. My friend has one and it is great. Very very good value. And one thing I have found is that the quality problems really depend on where you get the guitar. Maybe it is just me, but I stopped buying from GC because anything I ever played from there was junk. I go to a local music store and have them order in my gear and the quality of what I have gotten has been great. And the majority of the people who get Gibsons from there have no complaints. Small city so I know most of the people who buy them.....
Well, alright, if you like it, I can't stop you, haha. I mean, if you get a good one, it's gonna be the expected quality of a Gibson (hopefully). Although I do agree with GHold, you still would be better off with an Elitist or a high end Epiphone.
Say I do go Epi LP......would you suggest switching out the factory pickups for Gibson ones?
Well, I think there's other pups you could get. They don't have to be Gibson pups.

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to pickups, so I would ask around in GG&A.
Yeah you are right they dont have to be Gibson. Just using as an example. Seymour Duncans may do.

BTW does anyone know about the Epiphone Valve Juniors. How loud can they get?
I was going to get a Valve Jr. I heard they're amazing value, for what you pay. 5w tube is surprisingly loud.

Why don't you go to the Gear and Accessories sub-forum and ask there? They know basically everything. Although if I were you, I would look at a Blackheart Little Giant. I think I'm purchasing one, and err, I hear they are pretty decent for your type of music.
first post was pretty much spot on. if you like playing GnR type music, get what he said.
never buy new. dont listen to people who say omfg that's 2000!!! no.. used is like 800 bucks. buy a les paul studio and
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JCM2000-Dual-Super-Lead-100-Head?sku=483127X
and a marshall or mesa or whatever else cab you'd like
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
...never get a les paul studio, only get it if it's for $5 in the middle of the winter=fire wood!!!!
Don't get a new guitar just change the pickups and the tuners (if needed)

for an amp id reccomend a tube amp something like a fender hot rod, or some laney or peavy
what would be more important....a good guitar or amp?

from what i heard it seems like amp.
I'm gonna agree with the prior suggestion of an Elitist and a JCM. Although, you can pick up a used Soloist for the same price as some Elitists...
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free

Peavey ValveKing Half-Stack $950

Epiphone Les Paul Custom $650

i dont like buying used, but thats just me
Page 1 of 2