Page 1 of 2
is it possible?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
Um...elaborate?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i was just meaning like in general if it was possible, i was just wondering, thanks UG!
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
i was just meaning like in general if it was possible, i was just wondering, thanks UG!

Elaborate. We have absolutely no idea what you're trying to do.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Well, it is, but (not to be an ass) if you know as much (as little, rather) as I'm guessing you know about modes and general music theory, that answer doesn't help you at all.
-.- lol the fact that i just studied 3 weeks worth of modes, im pretty sure i know a decent amount of stuff, now that im going into the harmonic modes also and melodic modes, i just wondering cause my teacher hasnt really done anything with chord progressions (especially powerchord progressions i guess they are the same thing) so ... ya
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by Archeo Avis
Elaborate. We have absolutely no idea what you're trying to do.

once again, i was just wondering if you can dfo it (just if it is possible for anything) just wondering, not like im gonna try it right now or anything i was just wonder
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
-.- lol the fact that i just studied 3 weeks worth of modes, im pretty sure i know a decent amount of stuff, now that im going into the harmonic modes also and melodic modes, i just wondering cause my teacher hasnt really done anything with chord progressions (especially powerchord progressions i guess they are the same thing) so ... ya

*sigh*

You
Need
To
Elaborate

We have absolutely no idea what you're trying to do. By the sounds of it, you aren't ready to be worrying about modes yet, let alone modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales.
im not trying to do anything

just for future reference
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quick Question FOR THE TS!!!

If I play the following lick over a C major progression, what scale am I playing?

e-------------------------------
B-------------10-12-13----------------
G-----10-12-------------------------
D-12------------------------------
A-------------------------------
E-------------------------------

Is that D Dorian? After all, I'm playing at the 10th fret.
Quote by MetallicSoul92
im not trying to do anything

just for future reference

For the love of...
What are you asking? "changing modes through powerchords" explains nothing. What modes? What powerchords? What are you talking about?
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 1, 2008,
well. ya beings the way it looks, i gotta grab my guitar to actually find out
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
well. ya beings the way it looks, i gotta grab my guitar to actually find out
Leave your guitar alone. I'll tell you the notes.

D F G A B C
Quote by Archeo Avis
For the love of...
What are you asking? "changing modes through powerchords" explains nothing. What modes? What powerchords? What are you talking about?

fine ill give an EXAMPLE:

im playing A5, going though A aeolian
then i switch to G#5 after a bar or two and play, can i switch from the key of C to the key of A and play G# locrian?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Leave your guitar alone. I'll tell you the notes.

D F G A B C

wow well im retarded. ya its dorian.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
fine ill give an EXAMPLE:

im playing A5, going though A aeolian
then i switch to G#5 after a bar or two and play, can i switch from the key of C to the key of A and play G# locrian?

No. Not unless you change the tonal center.
If your progression is in A major/minor, you play A major/minor.

You aren't ready to be worrying about modes.

Concerning your answer to BGC's question: No, it's not dorian. The notes CDEFGAB over a C major progression are C major regardless of the order in which you play them.
wat is it if its not dorian?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
C major. It doesn't matter where you play something, if you play C D E F G A B over a C major progression, it's C major. Otherwise, guitar theory would be different than theory for other instruments, and that is, of course, ridiculous.
well im pretty sure i just said my teacher hasnt really done anything with chord progressions . but maybe i was wrong let me go back up to check. i was jsut trying to make an example
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
wat is it if its not dorian?

It's simple C major, because the harmony suggests such.

I'd recommend you review modal theory as well as the theory behind diatonic harmony, you don't really get this stuff yet.
Quote by :-D
I'd recommend you review modal theory as well as the theory behind diatonic harmony, you don't really get this stuff yet.
And you don't get English grammar; that should be a semicolon rather than a comma.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
And you don't get English grammer; that should be a semicolon rather than a comma.

Damn it! I meant to put "because" after the comma, that's why I didn't use the semicolon.
and im pretty sure thats why i only asked this for FUTURE refrence, not for anything right now
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
and im pretty sure thats why i only asked this for FUTURE refrence, not for anything right now

And you did say you studied modes for three weeks and new a "decent amount of stuff", which you really don't. This is why I suggested reviewing, that's all.
i was more reviewing the differences between the modes like the difference between phrygian and mixolydian is phrygian's b2,b3, and b6, less than how i can apply it
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Last edited by MetallicSoul92 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by MetallicSoul92
well , i was more reviewing the differences between the modes like the difference between phrygian and mixolydian is phrygian's b2,b3, and b6

If you have some of that down it's a start, but it won't help you learn how to actually apply the modes; the theory sticky at the top of this forum should help you out quite a bit though.
oh crap..... not the hell sticky XD..... ive been on that quite alot.. .maybe this time i will get what it is saying
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by MetallicSoul92
oh crap..... not the hell sticky XD..... ive been on that quite alot.. .maybe this time i will get what it is saying

Yeah, it's pretty helpful; learning about the application of the modes is really the most important part, actually.
ok . ill study that all for the next week. thanks guys, sorry if i came off as an asshole, i was just wondering if it was possible in a general sense
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
oh and got another question, for that test u gave me, wouldnt D start off as the lead note? therefore putting it in D dorian?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
oh crap it said chord progression! XD i thought it say key oh. well...
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
so if ur in the Key of C and you do a D chord progression, would that be D dorian , or would that switch to the Key of D?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
Page 1 of 2