When I plug in my ibanez with active pickups its always alot louder at the same volume setting than my gibson thunderbird with passive pickups. It that because of the picups or something else?
The Ibanez likely has an active EQ rather than active pickups. And yes, that's why it's louder.
active pickups vs passive pickups, actives always win as far as volume output goes
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Active electronics result in higher output. Also, dual-coil pickups generally produce slightly more volume than single-coil pickups, but there are many cases where this isn't true. My Aria has active electronics, but with the pad switch on my amp it's actually quieter, which is because its output for an active bass is slightly lower than average.

The main fundamental that dominates output level is whether you have active or passive electronics; this is always true to at least some level. But there are several other factors that determine output level, and can result in two very similar basses having very different output levels. Different pickups are one of these factors.
active pickups have a battery providing power to the pickups boosting the signal straight away.

an active EQ uses passive pickups to send the signal into a battery powered equaliser that then shapes the tone how you want it while providing a slight volume boost
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The reason why your ibenez is louder is because of the active pickups. For a bass to have an EQ it must have active pickups. But anyway the reason why the active pickups are louder is because the batteries in the bass act as a pre-amp built into your bass so the bass actually amplifies the signal slightly before sending the signal to the amp, this is also how the bass can have an EQ right on it.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
Quote by Eldiablo30x6
For a bass to have an EQ it must have active pickups

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

ACTIVE PICKUPS AND AN ACTIVE EQ ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS

SEE MY ABOVE POST
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
If its isn't the active reason... Then it could be you need some new strings.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by skater dan0
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

ACTIVE PICKUPS AND AN ACTIVE EQ ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS

SEE MY ABOVE POST

settle down dude. no reason to wet your panties.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Active instruments really get a lot of help in the treble and low-bass department, and this really makes them project better, as well as give them a much hotter output. The Thunderbird's... erm... "round" tone has the complete opposite, and would sound quieter than the Ibanez if their relative output level was the same.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It's an Ibanez. Active pickups is just not a word for Ibanez's quality.
Yep, it's the pickups. Active pickups are on average 10db hotter than passive pickups. This is why you'll notice that on most amps nowadays, there are 2 inputs...1 that says normal (passive) and 1 that says -10db (active).

Many people mistake this as having the ability to plug in two instruments in the same amp but that's not it's intended use. It's there to level out your volume when switching between active and passive basses.

Take a look at your amp. If you have this feature, just plug your Thunderbird into the "normal" or "passive" input. Then, when you wanna switch to your Ibanez, simply plug it into the other input and this should balance your volume between the 2 basses.
J.P. Morgan
www.freewebs.com/hereisthegear
There are also sometimes pad switches, for example, -6db.

But, at the same time, that's what preamp volume is for, really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you want to even them out, change the distance between the pickups and the strings?
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.