I am definitely ready for a new amp--would highly prefer tube--and I'm looking for a relatively cheap amp that would be semi-easy to move around but can hold its own against (another) drummer. I have just a standard Epi LP and am planning on running it through a podxt live. Music styles would be anything from ballads to jazzy stuff to some alternative type rock.

I am looking at the crate v series--mainly for price and because I don't need too much tone coming from the amp. Im trying to figure out which one of the v series would be ideal for running with a modeler. here's what i *think* i have figured out so far...

--50w: highest power even through one 12", 6l6's have lower dist., but only 2 so maybe the dist. evens out
--33w: in the middle for volume, dist-- 4 of the higher distorting EL84's with 33watts for 2 12" speakers
--18w (2x12): higher dist than 33 and 50, but lower than single 12" 18w due to lower gain with the 2 speakers

So I'm looking at the 50w. It seems like it would be the loudest with least distortion, therefore making it the better choice.

So how far off am i with my reasoning, or are tube amps kind of pointless with a modeler?

all advice is appreciated,
jacob
the reason i would like a modeler is because I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on effects, and it would be pretty nice to have more than one amp sound
lol

those amp models are nowhere as good as the real thing.

if you're using amp models on the pod then again I state my question why the heck would you get a tube amp..?

just get like a keyboard amp or run it through the P.A.
if you're going direct no purpose in the preamp in the guitar amp itself.

is it so you can tell everyone "LUL I GOT A TUBE AMP I WIN"
obviously tube amps sound better than solid-state, but how much better is the real thing? I'm not gonna be recording or even playing in large venues.

so now the question is: do i want a cheap tube amp with a couple of pedals, or solid state with a pod?

also, im not gonna be able to afford a great tube amp, so would the pod's samples even be better than a 400 dollar tube amp?
Keep in mind that you can only run a pod through the clean channel or else.... it's not going be good and say good bye to your amp.
Quote by Highwaytohell
modellers are kind of pointless if you own a tube amp. Why would you want one if you have a tube amp?

You really should try it. It removes the digital quality of the modeler and makes the tube amp as versatile as any SS out there. Not to mention it sounds alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I agree with technicolourtype, if ur using a pod as ur main sound module then you dont need a tube amp just to get a better sound since the pod is going to be all digital anyway and ur going to defeat the purpose. if u already have the pod, invest in a good pa speaker, if u dont save up, buy a 15-30 watt tube and add on pedals.
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Quote by mwalluk
Keep in mind that you can only run a pod through the clean channel or else.... it's not going be good and say good bye to your amp.

More like it will sound terrible and not hurt your amp at all.

TS, tube amps, even budget ones, will sound better than a somewhat decent modeller.
In Flames does it, I think Meshuggah still does it... I mean, why not? For the nay-sayers, you can (if you have a series FX loop) use the 4 cable method and get better results than just doing the usual guitar>MFX>amp thing. http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4632
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Professor Fate
I agree with technicolourtype, if ur using a pod as ur main sound module then you dont need a tube amp just to get a better sound since the pod is going to be all digital anyway and ur going to defeat the purpose. if u already have the pod, invest in a good pa speaker, if u dont save up, buy a 15-30 watt tube and add on pedals.

yeah what he said.
the best thing I think you should do is buy one of those portable P.A. systems.
they are about the size of a 212 amp and you can just hook your pod up to it and it'll sound the best it can.. alot better then running through a tube amp.
Quote by aznrockerdude
In Flames does it, I think Meshuggah still does it... I mean, why not? For the nay-sayers, you can (if you have a series FX loop) use the 4 cable method and get better results than just doing the usual guitar>MFX>amp thing. http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4632

You do realize they get the sound fixed up in the studio so it does sound excellent, don't you?
Everyone seems to be forgetting about Atomic tube amps, which are DESIGNED for modelers.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by jc_th3 drummer
the reason i would like a modeler is because I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on effects, and it would be pretty nice to have more than one amp sound

The Line 6 Spider Valve isn't bad, try that.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
The Line 6 Spider Valve isn't bad, try that.

On Opposite day
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
does the pod have an onboard preamp?

if it does i wouid just buy a tube power amp and run it through a PA speaker.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Used to have a V-amp pro rack mount laying around. So i hooked it up and it sounded like pure crap.. Just using it for effects you will get noise from hell and the effects will sound like modeler effects so your basically turning your nice tube amp into a Digital mess with a hint of warmth and a whole lot of noise. And thats from first hand experience.
The POD is a pre-amp i believe. Using a tube power amp will change the sound very little. I tried running my pod 2.0 through a friends $4000 (NZ dollars) marshall el34 power amp and then again through a cheap PA amp - sounded almost identical.
Quote by sixdaywar
The POD is a pre-amp i believe. Using a tube power amp will change the sound very little. I tried running my pod 2.0 through a friends $4000 (NZ dollars) marshall el34 power amp and then again through a cheap PA amp - sounded almost identical.

Yeah...power amps aren't supposed to sound like anything, their sole purpose is to amplify the signal.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by scott58
You really should try it. It removes the digital quality of the modeler and makes the tube amp as versatile as any SS out there. Not to mention it sounds alot better.

I tried running a Pod that my buddy has through my C30. Sonded like crap. What do you mean as versatile as any SS? because my amp as is is pretty freaking versatile. If you mean a modeling amp i'll pass. For the most part they sound Sterile and unvibrant.
Can you run your POD without amp modeling? If so, perhaps you could just run its' effects until you aquire the pedals you need.

I run a Yamaha DS Stomp in the effects loops of my amp and turn off all modeling (easy 1 button.) It sounds pretty decent. Even though the only effects I really use it for is delay...oh and tuning. I have pedals for everything else that is needed.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I tried running a Pod that my buddy has through my C30. Sonded like crap. What do you mean as versatile as any SS? because my amp as is is pretty freaking versatile. If you mean a modeling amp i'll pass. For the most part they sound Sterile and unvibrant.

Maybe the POD XTL just doesn't like your amp. I've got a peavey it really doesn't sound good with, but with the Vj it sounds better then with my PA (in most cases not all). Don't get me wrong you can find some stuff that sounds like crap with everything the POD can do (and i'll bet you can find some stuff that sounds like crap with your C30), but you can also find some really excellent tones. I happen to like plexi for the most part and this setup does a pretty good job of that. You also have to know what you can get away with when using this type of stuff. You don't just crank your gain then add even more over drive with the POD. If you know how to use it, it's great equipment. Probably why they sell so many of them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jun 3, 2008,