Here's the deal, I want a small size tube combo just for bedroom level playing, I play mostly metal stuff like Metallica, hatebreed, and other heavy stuff. The blue's jr seems like a good amp for me, simply because of the 15w all tube design, which I like. I want to run a good OD in front of it so get my gain sound. I have a line on a REALLY MINT blue's jr for $325, he's the original owner with all the paperwork. Just curious, think she can handle metal?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Will it pull off the amount of gain usually associated with metal? Yes.

Will it do it well? No.

Why won't it do well? Will it kill the tubes faster or just sound bad?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
well, your best bet would to be to test it first, make sure it's what you need. otherwise, you're blowing a hell of a lot of money.

also, i like your guitar... good choice.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
It is not really voiced for metal. Maybe with a tube swap and a speaker swap it would get you closer. My Classic 30 could do metal if I put vintage 30 and used an eq pedal
It will do metal marvelously, but the downfall with the Fender Blues Jr, is the ridiculously high output that will drastically reduce the life of your tubes. BLAME THIS ON FENDER! They do it intentionally, for some reason they refuse to disclose.

This can be fixed through some simple mods found here.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
I don't see why the blues jr can't do well with distortions/overdrives. I have one and does my pedals fine. Also the amp has a boost button and it really adds to it.

For $325 I'd get the amp, I paid $400 for mine.
Quote by Lastin
It will do metal marvelously, but the downfall with the Fender Blues Jr, is the ridiculously high output that will drastically reduce the life of your tubes. BLAME THIS ON FENDER! They do it intentionally, for some reason they refuse to disclose.

This can be fixed through some simple mods found here.

To get the sound man. I see nothing wrong with it.

Anyway if you're playing at bedroom level you got nothing to worry about. At stage level then the tubes will be hot but they're gonna sing.
get a marshall dsl
i love blues juniors but dont buy a ferrari to go off road in
With an OD? Hell no. With a distortion? Sure, I do it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I figured using an OD pedal rather then a distortion would push the tubes harder to give me a good tube gain sound. Should I consider a distortion pedal instead of OD?

Quote by Highwaytohell
It is not really voiced for metal. Maybe with a tube swap and a speaker swap it would get you closer. My Classic 30 could do metal if I put vintage 30 and used an eq pedal

What tubes should I swap to?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
As much as I love Blues Juniors, I'd say pass. The only way it'll do metal is with a distortion pedal and it won't really sound that good.
Quote by Bad Seed
I figured using an OD pedal rather then a distortion would push the tubes harder to give me a good tube gain sound. Should I consider a distortion pedal instead of OD?

What tubes should I swap to?

I've been asking the same question, and the answer i get.. eurotubes.com
If you email the guy, he'll tell you exactly what you're looking for.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Its a blues amp, so its not voiced for metal.
therefore just ODing it will get you more gain, but it still won't have a metal sound.
if you're just going to get like a metal muff or a similar distortion pedal, don't bother.
maybe get like a Damage Control Solid Metal or a Blackstar HT Distx.
don't cheap out on a distortion pedal or it will make your amp sound bad either way.
or you could save for a krank rev jr mini stack.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
BLUES junior.

look i had one and a metal muff. you're going to depend on the pedal way too much.
you might as well just buy a randall or something.

for tube, a classic 30 would suit you better and around here you can find them used for about $350.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
No, because you'll end up like the previous guy who did it (won't mention the name though)...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
woah, jj1565, new avatar! You could find a used B-52 for around that much I bet. Very versitile amp that can do teh br00talz
man you guys are killing me! I thought I could make this amp work for me because I love how it's 15w all tube design and it's small and simple. I was thinking a V30 and high gain tube set for starters. Comments?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
i wouldnt bother. look at the cash you're putting into it already.

guys do it all the time, but they all end up outgrowing it in the end.
save urself the trouble and get an amp voiced how you want, from the start.

it's up to you of course, but think about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Look for posts by a member called Arlabester, that should put you right off using a BJ for metal.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i wasnt going to go there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62