Page 1 of 3
Alright.. I haven't made a thread about an amp in a while, so I guess its time. I got a job working in guitar repair for the summer so I'm hoping to have about $2,500 combined with my summer job and my birthday. I will also not sell my 5150 for extra, it was partly a gift and I want to keep it. So I'll have just about $2,500 for a head that I'll be willing to buy new or used. I play primarily metalcore but I go all the way to death metal.

I want some kind of boutique or high end head. I love the Mako Mak2's but I can't justify waiting for 3 months, and I can't play them first which turns me away. Framus Cobras seem pretty interesting, but I've heard their build quality is terrible, and I need a head that will last. I absolutely hate the way rectifiers sound, so don't recommend those. Some ideas people have said were Rivera Knuckleheads, but again I can't try one. A friend of mine has an Uberschall, and it didn't do a whole lot for me when I tried it out.

I'm looking for a either 2 or 3 channels. One must be for cleans, the other must be a high gain lead channel. If its a 3 channel amp, the second doesn't make a big difference because I probably won't use it that often. I just want the cleans to be pretty good, not necessarily jazzy cleans but like Metallica sort of cleans I guess.

Can UG give me some ideas? I wanna start trying out amps before so I can know exactly what I want by the end of the summer. That leaves me with about 3 months to drive around and play a bunch of different heads, I just need some starting points.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
One brand; ENGL
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by QuebecMetal
One brand; ENGL

I've been dying to try an ENGL. Neither the Sam Ash about 45 minutes away nor the Guitar Center 15 minutes away has had one every time I've been.

Quote by MorgMetal_666
What about a Randall MTS or a Krank?

The Randall sort of turned me away because I had to buy the individual modules for each sound I wanted. As for Kranks, I saw a band not too long ago that was endorsed by Krank and their tone blew. I should probably go play one though.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
$2500 for a head? Maybe look into Diezel Herbert or Einstein?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Your possibilties are endless but make sure you try a splawn nitro and quickrod, krank rev1+, engl savage and engl powerball, VHT sig X, Bogner Uberschall, Mesa Boogie Road King and Mark 4, Soldano. I know I am missing something but here is some.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
try out an ENGL. beautiful crystal clear cleans with more distortion than you'll ever need.
Quote by cob666
engl powerball

Might as well get an Invader or something.
And look up everything 80sShred4TheWin said.
Bogner Uberschall
Deizel Herbert
VHT Sig X
ENGL Special Edition
Framus Cobro/Dragon
Mesa Roadking
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Stratmaster458
+1 to the Diezel Herbert. Maybe a Mesa Triple recto those things are like hell in a box

If I wanted a really loose low end, I'd get a recto. Would I really be in the range for a Herbert at 2.5? Don't they cost like 4 grand?

I've played the Uberschall, and its just not for me. I think the ENGL Invader and SE are out of my range, maybe even used.
The Powerball seems pretty interesting though, as do the Sig X's.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Mesa Road King? Something with that Recto-character might be nice, you could A/B it with the 5150 and get kickass tones with it. (look at Andy Sneap...)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Mesa Road King? Something with that Recto-character might be nice, you could A/B it with the 5150 and get kickass tones with it. (look at Andy Sneap...)

You know I actually have considered doing that, because the low end is whats missing for the rectos for me. I'd need a second cab, though. If I were to get a Mesa, it'd be the Mark IV.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
sry forgot that the herbert is liek 4.5 gs I wish i could get one for pumkins/tool style playing

EDIT: The Mark IV has great metal tone my friend has a Mark IV half stack it is capable of many tones. When my school had a show for bands we used his amp as the stage amp and it covered tones of all genres very well from blues all the way to hardcore and metal
Last edited by Stratmaster458 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by rwalby9
You know I actually have considered doing that, because the low end is whats missing for the rectos for me. I'd need a second cab, though. If I were to get a Mesa, it'd be the Mark IV.

2 2x12 cabs?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
2 2x12 cabs?

Oh I'd go balls out and do 2 4x12's, probably get a Basson

The Warp X seems to be really hard to find much about.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Ya keep your Peavy they sound awsome. If you want tight gain look at splawn it is a JCM800 on more then steriods. I don't know much about framus but I would deffently look at them even though not many people here have them alot of peopl on harmony central love them.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Ya keep your Peavy they sound awsome. If you want tight gain look at splawn it is a JCM800 on more then steriods. I don't know much about framus but I would deffently look at them even though not many people here have them alot of peopl on harmony central love them.

Oh I'm keeping my 5150 no matter what. I'll keep it around for quite a long time.

I'm really torn between a Powerball and a Cobra. Clips on them both sound incredible. I need to play both, though.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
With that budget these are some that you can try:

If you are looking for versatility:
Rivera Knucklehead Reverb 2
Mesa/Boogie Roadking
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Peavey JSX (awsome amp but a little too compressed for my tastes)

Full on metal madness:
Bogner Uberschall
ENGL Powerball
Mesa Roadking (again because it kicks so much ass)
Diezel Herbert
VHT Deliverance

Of these amps I would definetly check out the Road King, the Powerball and the Uberschall.

In my experience, when I was looking for an amp to suplement my Single Rectifier, I tested all the amps I listed but the Diezel Herbet, and the best amp for me was the Roadking. Its got amazing cleans, amazing low-gain tones, huge, percussive mid-gain tones and screaming, buttery lead tones and is really customizable when it comes to setup and the way its played. The ability to choose power tubes comes in very handy especially when you need versatility as well as a specific tone setting. You also find this amps reverb is excellent and whenever possible I use that instead of the digital reverb from the GT-PRO.

Now if you only care about distortion and a two channel amp will do the trick for you, try out the Bogner Uberschall...
Mesa/Boogie Road King (v2) 120 Watt (std. tube config) on Traditional Road King Cabs (2x 4x12)- B.C. Rich Custom Shop Warlock 7-string and Modded B.C. Rich Plat. Pro Warlock 7-string - Boss GT-PRO
If you're stuck between the Powerball and Cobra, I'd probably go with the Powerball honestly.

The Cobras sound nice, but for the quality you're getting, they're not worth their price imo. Plus, your 5150 is more darker voiced, the Powerball is brighter, it'd give you a more diverse sound.

And to everyone suggesting a Herbert, those amps cost $4,400 new. If you can find one for $2,500 it's either broken, or the person is on crack or needs money for crack.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If the Uberschall is not your thing (too much low end?), get a Soldano SLO. Probably the only amp you'll ever need. Although $2500 might not be enough for that one.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
If the Uberschall is not your thing (too much low end?), get a Soldano SLO. Probably the only amp you'll ever need. Although $2500 might not be enough for that one.

It won't be nearly enough. I can't really put my finger on whats missing in the Uberschall for me. I've never been satisfied when I played my freind's.

Everyone has recommended the Powerball. I will play one as soon as possible! I emailed Derek at Rock Solid Amps, hopefully he can advise some too.

Edit: He advised that in my range, definitely consider the Savage 120 over the Powerball.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Last edited by rwalby9 at Jun 2, 2008,
best ones around that price are Bogner and Deizel
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
best ones around that price are Bogner and Deizel

he just said he didnt like the uberschall
and diezels are like 4.4 grand?
I thought this was mentioned twice already?

Maybe try out the EVH 5150III, you might be pleasantly surprised.
It is completely different from the original 5150.
I've played it a few times and it sounds amazing.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
he just said he didnt like the uberschall
and diezels are like 4.4 grand?
I thought this was mentioned twice already?

Maybe try out the EVH 5150III, you might be pleasantly surprised.
It is completely different from the original 5150.
I've played it a few times and it sounds amazing.

Thanks, glad someone actually read the entire topic before posting. Not that I don't appreciate advice, though..

Thats definitely a contender if the 3rd channel is hot enough for me. I was told it was probably too 80's for me. It fits well under the budget, too.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
i thought the 3rd channel was plenty brutal.
its not quite as raw as the 5150 but it was a little tighter and less grainy.
Its my realistic dream amp.
Definitely try it out, and if you decide to play other styles, the other channels are plenty versatile.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Soldano SLO 100 used
/thread
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Soldano SLO 100 used
/thread

Where on earth would I find one of those for $2,500? Aren't they like $3,800 new?

I'll play the 5150 III when I go to Sam Ash this weekend.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Thats definitely a contender if the 3rd channel is hot enough for me. I was told it was probably too 80's for me. It fits well under the budget, too.

Yeah I'd definitely try a 5150 III out. You can find them pretty cheap used though, but they're pretty sick amps for the price.

The clean channel is great, everything you'd expect from a Fender. The first gain channel is nice, anything from dirty blues and classic rock up to 80s rock.

The second gain channel is where it really shines though imo. The notes are very articulate and defined, something I wasn't able to get in my Peavey 5150. Gain is very tight and doesn't mud out like a 5150. Bass is thundering and the amp can get very brutal sounding.

I've actually been looking to trade my Mark IV for one because I've just had a craving for one ever since I played one again at GC a few months ago.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Framus cobra all day...if you liked the tone on the end of heartache you will love either that or a dragon.
Quote by rwalby9
Where on earth would I find one of those for $2,500? Aren't they like $3,800 new?

I'll play the 5150 III when I go to Sam Ash this weekend.

there is a SLO on Harmony Centrals gear ads for $2500 right now.

Not to bash UG, but if you want some high end boutique advice, go to HC. There are some rigs on there that make some pro's rigs look tiny. Not to mention their classified section always has something to make your mouth water.

as for amp recommendations...

The roadking is completely different than a recto, I highly recommend it.
Mark IV's are pretty good, but they really lack the natural feel, and have a sort of compressed sound to them and would sound nearly identical to the 6505/5150 that you have
I haven't tried any ENGL's but I've always heard in a live situation with their dry bottom end and lack of top end they have a horrible cut through the mix.
There are a few Diezel Einsteins on Ebay right now for about $2,500. IMO, that would be my choice.

Framus amps are built cheaply, but, they don't have many problems. I have a Dragon, sounds amazing with a multi amp setup and has a huge (bigger than 5150/6505) bottom end.

If I were you, I'd go with some sort of Marshall or modded marshall to run a multi amp setup with your amp. The peavey 6505/5150 are quite dark and fairly flat as far as the overall EQ feel, a Marshall should bring out a huge midrange and sparkle livening up and really bringing your tone to life.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Is the Road King that much different from the recto series? I could never get a good tone out of a recto until it had a TON of effects on it. My local GC is a Mesa dealer so I shouldn't have a big deal trying out one of those. If the Mark IV would sound too similar to my 5150, that would turn me away too.

If ENGLs won't cut in a mix, that'd be a serious problem because I'll be playing shows as early as September. I've never heard a Diezel in person, but from clips they sound incredible.

I can deal with being cheaply built because my summer job is gonna be working as an assistant to an amp/guitar tech. So I could fix my own **** or he could for me.

I'm more of an American voiced kind of guy, so I don't know how a Marshall or Splawn would go over with me.

By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out and same to everyone else for the help.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Check out Splawn, they're some of the best out there IMO.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The Rivera knucklehead Tre Is quite awesome for metal Even tho I'm using mine for heavy blues.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd