I need help or ideas on how to write songs. Im alright, but not great at, making the music to songs. I could still get some practice at that though. But whenever I try to write lyrics, they sound either stupid or corny. I like emo music like My Chemical Romance. And alot of people tell me that writings songs like that is really hard. So can anyone give me tips on how to write better?
Try to pronouce my last name...
just write write write.

write something out, try to avoid cliche's then post it on S+L main page. go crit other peoples work, get some crits, take what people have said into account and repeat. x100 and you'll be fine.
Well, Emo lyrics are considered to be about commiting suicide and other heavy stuff. If you have'nt been through this kind of stuff. I wouldn't Advice writing about it and absolutly not to sing it. Write a lyric about something that bothers you, a really personal thing! That's the only way in which you can make the best lyrics, and later on preform it with feeling.
most lyrics are written off of experiences or opinions, so my adivce is to get out there and try new things. Become informed with what's going on in the world, develop your own insights on issues, and actually do things. Otherwise, your writing can sound flat or false.
Good luck, and best regards;
~Ed.
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.
Quote by skagitup
just write write write.

write something out, try to avoid cliche's then post it on S+L main page. go crit other peoples work, get some crits, take what people have said into account and repeat. x100 and you'll be fine.

I tryed to put down a song but someone reported it because the entire song was about suicide. I got angry. I was just asking if the song sucked or if it was ok and then some guy was like " dude read the rules". And when i did read them I didnt break any of them.
If you didn't do anything wrong then it won't get closed because he reported it.

However, make sure you title the thread the name of your song and avoid polls etc.
i could help u write real music but not that gay ****
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
Think of something good to write about, put a lot of detail on the most important parts, use hard synonyms, makes the lyrics more interesting.
I recently put lyrics to a death metal song I wrote ( here ), take that as an example and crit it if you like.

As Skagitup said, look at other lyrics as examples to have an idea on the art of writing songs, listen to Skagitup he is a master in songwriting.
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Jun 4, 2008,
Another thing i need help with is that whenever I write something if it doesnt rhyme it doesnt sound right to me. Is there any tips you could give me on getting out of the habit of constantly rhyming lyrics and it still sound right?
Emo music is about emotions. You have to try to figure your emotions and turn that into music. For example angst - a heavy song, but happiness, a happy song with Major Chords and a nice melody.

What I try to do is think of something (stupid example) for instance using death as a metaphor for an orgasm while you have sex with your girlfriend. You don't need to say this but can sing only about death but with this double meaning. Its good for me to think first about the topic of the song and then write the lyrics with the music. Finally with your doubt about rhyming, try to think that the word don't need to rhyme, but your pronunciation of that word does.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Triviumsucks666

Man, I stood up for an asshole in another thread... Don't complain about people bashing your music (which in turn, I like too) if you're going to do this.

Anyways, I don't really see the point in writing for a specific genre. Writing should display emotion anyways, and it should display your actual emotions, not the ones that you want to. So, I'd say just start writing and keep working on it and over time you'll be awesome.

Nobody can make you any better of a writer in general though, that's like me asking somebody to make me a better basketball player. But I haven't given them the information on what I need to improve on or what I can already do. Maybe if you posted an example piece of yours, than it'd be easier. But really, my only advice is to write, write, write, write, and do some more writing.

EDIT:

Quote by Pepefloydean
but your pronunciation of that word does.

Don't listen to this, nothing needs to rhyme in your writing. Unless he's talking more figuratively about the lines flowing together. But yeah, nothing you write ever has to rhyme, and over time you'll realize that. It takes a bit more time to get used to writing without rhyme however, but it can sound just as good or even better than something full of rhymes. In fact, if you have a set rhyme scheme, it's usually boring.

If you want to get out of the habit of rhyming, just write a few pieces without any rhyming in it. Make the flow come from the wording and meter, etc.
Last edited by Fate_of_Mind at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by Portuguese_boy

As Skagitup said, look at other lyrics as examples to have an idea on the art of writing songs, listen to Skagitup he is a master is songwriting.

I think the problem MAY be (in addition to what the otthers have pointed out already,) that you're trying to write in a specific style. Just write and try to go with whatever it comes out sounding like. And the lyrics themself dont necessarily HAVE to be categorized. Like, to me at least, emo is more about the feel of the music, not the lyrics. But that's a different story.
And you pretty much HAVe to write from personal experience if you want it to sound sincere
Quote by mr synyster g
I think the problem MAY be (in addition to what the otthers have pointed out already,) that you're trying to write in a specific style. Just write and try to go with whatever it comes out sounding like. And the lyrics themself dont necessarily HAVE to be categorized. Like, to me at least, emo is more about the feel of the music, not the lyrics. But that's a different story.
And you pretty much HAVe to write from personal experience if you want it to sound sincere

Listen to this guy
The music can usually be made to fit the lyrics. Kind of hard to explain. Like, my favorite genre is thrash metal, but when I write, it's usually pretty emotional (emo, for the crics,) but I manage to make the music fit the lyrics. If you can write "emo" esque riffs, you can write any lyric you want to and make it sound good with the music.
I know what you mean, I got the same problems with metal. My advice, google up 'how to write songs' and then click the, I think, one of the first 5 resualts and it should bring you to like, 15 video tutorials of how to write each individual part of the song.
I remember now! click the one titled 'How to Write Rock Music.' I know it's not what you're after, but it applies to just about every genre.
Quote by 12jfrey
I remember now! click the one titled 'How to Write Rock Music.' I know it's not what you're after, but it applies to just about every genre.

^ I guess that works. Personally, I wouldn't go by lessons on how to write, because it should be a much more personal experience. But it's not my writing .
haha yeah
ive been giving you my strategy and views but this is something you should really develop your own style on
eventually youll develop your own process for songwriting
if you wanna make a song meand my friend did it a well simple way... get a few video cases and use 1 word off each
Quote by Triviumsucks666

While I dont like the genre either, I'm not gonna diss the music when someone is asking for help on how to write a song. The fall out boy news posts are for what ur doing haha.
Quote by klowery01
if you wanna make a song meand my friend did it a well simple way... get a few video cases and use 1 word off each

Lord volcano, 1408.
Secret monsters like rejects
and a waterhorse...

hahah, that's a terrible idea... you might as well write down gibberish