My comp boots up and asks me if I want to start it normally or in safe mode, or with last known settings that worked.

I have tried all of these but get the following message after the windows loading logo (I get it right after the logo dissapears, right before it goes to user list) I'm on windows XP:

(this message is on a blue screen)

Stop1 c0000218 (registry file failure)
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical
assistance.

This appeared for about 1/2 of a second to a second. I had to take a vid with my camera just to read the damn message.

So, anyone have any idea as to why my comp won't start and what the **** this message means? I cannot take it to the people who built it cause they went outta business (was a local place)

I didn't do anything to trigger this (I don't believe) The very LAST thing I did on the comp was download windows mediaplayer 11 and my comp restarted (it has been restarting when I download things for some time)

Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. sorry for the wall of text.
I've had it happen. Sorry man all I could do was restore it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
yeah, restore is only thing i can think of
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by deckerbastard69
your computer wont start.... r u mentaly in touch with the pit??

bro's comp.

What do you guys mean, restore it?

How did this happen?
By "restore it", I think they mean to take the Windows disk and insert it into the drive right when it starts.

It wipes the computer clean of everything and reinstalls all the stuff that was on there when it was new.
Windows software is usually buggy and an error must have occured during installation (like an error with a REALLY small chance of happening)

Put in your windows CD and load up the screen thingy (I haven't done this in a while sorry) and when it asks you to repair/restore it, press whatever button you have to and pray to god it works.

EDIT:
Quote by FireandFlames
By "restore it", I think they mean to take the Windows disk and insert it into the drive right when it starts.

It wipes the computer clean of everything and reinstalls all the stuff that was on there when it was new.

That's format.
HEY!

It has happened to me and I'm 99% sure that the plug of your hard drive isn't properly connected, try unplugging it and plugging it back and so on till it works, trust me it's that.
download a bootleg ISO of a service disk from the internet and burn it to a CD.

Quote by GHOST_OF_WAR
i had something like this happen to mine..you might have to get a new harddrive.

generally, if you really need a new HD (i.e. the disc or reader is physically damaged) windows won't boot up at all, though you might need to put the hard drive in another computer to repair it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 1, 2008,
haha yea I had to snap a pic of my screen when I had a toneport interface back in the beginning of the year...
my PC was crashing like crazy due to a bad driver...

If you dont have a windows CD you cant reformat...

HD cant be the problem as its starting to boot the OS as you can see when the windows logo pops up...
that would never happen with a bad HD
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Eternal_Death
HEY!

It has happened to me and I'm 99% sure that the plug of your hard drive isn't properly connected, try unplugging it and plugging it back and so on till it works, trust me it's that.

If the hard drive wasn't plugged in right nothing would load. the bios would start up, POST would check everything and emit some kind of beep indicating the lack of hard drive.
Quote by GHOST_OF_WAR
will it not start up and just repeats the whole thing over and over again?

Bingo. I just tried to put in the windows disc, nothing happend.

Quote by Eternal_Death
HEY!

*edit*

what? what is this plug? I'm a comp nub.
when you put in the CD, it won't boot from the CD automatically, unless the CD was made specifically for that BIOS, you need to press a button (usually F1, F2 or F3) when the BIOS pops up and select boot from CD when the menu pops up.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when you put in the CD, it won't boot from the CD automatically, unless the CD was made specifically for that BIOS, you need to press a button (usually F1, F2 or F3) when the BIOS pops up and select boot from CD when the menu pops up.

I brought up the bios, except there wasn't a selection. Just a spot to type in.

Also, I can't remember if my comp's cd drives work, I never really used em. The comp was made in like 02-03 and the company pretty much gave us cheap ass **** then soon after went out of business.
do the lights on the drives come on when the comp boots up? if so then they work, also if the typing prompt comes up the usual command is [letter of CD drive]:/run

Last.fm
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I brought up the bios, except there wasn't a selection. Just a spot to type in.

Also, I can't remember if my comp's cd drives work, I never really used em. The comp was made in like 02-03 and the company pretty much gave us cheap ass **** then soon after went out of business.

Well, sounds to me like you've got a perfectly good excuse to buy a nice new computer then, as it's already a piece of ****, why bother wasting money to get it fixed?
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
do the lights on the drives come on when the comp boots up? if so then they work, also if the typing prompt comes up the usual command is [letter of CD drive]:/run

What is the letter of the drives? I think it's C and D but I have no idea. :/
Quote by Guitarfreak777
What is the letter of the drives? I think it's C and D but I have no idea. :/

D is usually the CD drive, but it depends on how your comp was set up.

Last.fm
Quote by kyle100
Well, sounds to me like you've got a perfectly good excuse to buy a nice new computer then, as it's already a piece of ****, why bother wasting money to get it fixed?

Because, family is pretty poor now when we used to be pretty well off thanks do the divorce my parents had recently. Was hoping to make my comp last. Plus its got my tunes on it. Is there anyway to get tunes off of a Ipod onto my bros comp?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Because, family is pretty poor now when we used to be pretty well off thanks do the divorce my parents had recently. Was hoping to make my comp last. Plus its got my tunes on it. Is there anyway to get tunes off of a Ipod onto my bros comp?

no, but you can put your HD in your bros comp and get everything that way.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no, but you can put your HD in your bros comp and get everything that way.

I'm sure there is a program somewhere that could transfer ipod songs to itunes on this comp.

*edit*

I tried load the window disk by typing in the command to run the driver. No luck. Looks my comp has finnally died. :/ sucks

What exactly was wrong with it that it's doing this?

If I took out my HD and conncected it to another comp, could I get all my important stuff? Pics/vids/music things like that?
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I'm sure there is a program somewhere that could transfer ipod songs to itunes on this comp.

yeah, but this way you can also try to repair your HD so you have a working computer.

Last.fm
What the hell is a comp?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
yeah if you connect it to another computer you should be able to get everything important, just make sure you know what you're doing, you need to hard switch your SD to slave before putting it in and whatnot.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah if you connect it to another computer you should be able to get everything important, just make sure you know what you're doing, you need to hard switch your SD to slave before putting it in and whatnot.

What?

Yah I would have NO idea what I would be doing.
That happened to me back in 2004. I just got that computer running again last year. Good Luck!
Founder and Gaz of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim club. PM me to join.

The Metal Militia
"Banging that head that doesn't bang!"

Quote by -Vogel-
All bow down for the mighty Holy Wars
System 32. It's doomed us all
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by McLovin-
System 32. It's doomed us all

Quite, it sounds kinda creepy that my comp cannot load the "hive" lol