I'm pretty new to amps, my Marshall Amp only has three settings, Contour, Volume, and Gain. Today, however, I have a Crate MX10 and I can't for the life of me get any distortion out of it. I'm trying to play thrash metal right now like Anthrax and Megadeth and the only sounds I can get sound horrible.

It has these settings: Boost, Gain, Volume, Bass, Mid, and Treble. The only thing I can think of is turning the Bass all the way down.

Any help is well appreciated.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
I'm in college, so buying anything, even picks, is a bit out of the question for me right now. Right now I have gain all the way up and boost a bit more than half way. I never had the gain on my Marshall more than about 3/4 of the way.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Oh dear, are you on the right channel?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by shmuck71
Try the gain and boost all the way up. Here is a link to the Crate site and your amps manual

http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/MX10.pdf

Doing that gets me a really horrible tone and almost no crunch whatsoever. Right now I have Gain all the way and Boost at a 1/4. However, I have to use Bass and if I remember correctly, Bass is turned all the way down for thrash metal.

Jeff

bass at 3.5 mid at 5 high at 6.5, gain and boost about halfway. try it and see if it works, i use those on my crate
Bass is not turned all the way down for Thrash.

Thrash has just as much bass as treble.