Whenever I do tapping stuff like Thunderstruck, Eruption, or the solo to One, my taps always sound weak and faded. Finger or pick tap, regardless, both sound diminished. I always have to crank the pickup volumes for the tapping then pause to turn them down once the tapping is over.

I know it's not my pickups. I have an ESP LTD EC-1000 with Duncan JB and 59 pickups. But I do have a ****ty amp. It's some $80 Drive piece of **** solid state combo. I'm getting a new amp soon, but could my amp be the reason for the ****ty tapping noise?
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Neck pickup? and are you using enough force? you really gotta hit that sucker hard
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
its either your not hitting hard enough, or maybe you need some more distortion, i dont think its gonna be your amp
what? tap that **** ?
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
I'm tapping hard enough. I know that.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Quote by dzaerpoor
(Invalid img)

No seriosly take a close look at the first one.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I didn't find it helpful the first time. What makes you think I'd find it helpful if you posted it again? Whatever, I'll look again.

Nope, not helpful.

Another thing is that I usually play at fairly low volumes. However, the tapping and picking should be the same volume still.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Quote by Parabellum
I'm tapping hard enough. I know that.

You just, aren't. I don't know how else to put it.
Trust me, I've got good finger agility and strength from playing violin for 11 years. I'm tapping pretty hard.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
My left hand tapping sounds the same as my right.

I am pulling straight off though. I'll try pulling the string a bit.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Quote by Parabellum
Whenever I do tapping stuff like Thunderstruck, Eruption, or the solo to One, my taps always sound weak and faded. Finger or pick tap, regardless, both sound diminished. I always have to crank the pickup volumes for the tapping then pause to turn them down once the tapping is over.

I know it's not my pickups. I have an ESP LTD EC-1000 with Duncan JB and 59 pickups. But I do have a ****ty amp. It's some $80 Drive piece of **** solid state combo. I'm getting a new amp soon, but could my amp be the reason for the ****ty tapping noise?

it really doesn't matter how crappy you're amp is. I have a squire 15 watt and tapping sounds fine on that. Your technique is probably the problem.
It's not your equipment. I showed my friend how to tap like a champion on his squier.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Thunderstruck is not tapped.

And yeah, don't lift your fingers off - you gotta rip them off or push 'em up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
its your amp dude...i had the same problem on my little fender frontman amp...went and bought a line 6 spider II a few months later and squealed out eruption.
There's a couple things you can try: Try using just a little more gain than usual. Lower your action a bit. Raise your pick-ups so they're closer to the strings.

Doing one or all 3 of these should help your tapping be heard a little better. Just don't lower your action or raise your p-ups too much, or you'll get some dead notes/buzzing.