In the past few days I Acquired for myself a 7-string. ESP H-207.

Heres the deal, Now that I got a couple guitars, A 60Watt AMP (Raven - nothing truely special) I am looking into getting some pedals. I am keeping my RP250 for some stupid effect purposes but I need to know if anyone knows a good solid distortion pedal I can use for the 7 that wont make sound so bassy the low string is pointless and not so trebly where it loses it's Deep feel. I need a nice dark metal distortion but with enough clarity so It can be heard playing chords.

Suggetions?
I have played on the boss mt-2 metal zone petal on a guitar with emg pickups in it and it sounded sweet. I don't know what type of pickups you have in it but I would look into it.
disreguard what he said please ^

metal zone is one of the worst distortion pedals out there and 90% of this site will agree with me.
anyone who thinks it sounds incredible has lost their taste in tone from it.

I can get it to sound "okay" as in bearable but only through really good amps.. through most average it's utter garbage and amp distortion > it..

those battery powered micro amps are better sounding imo lmao.
Quote by TechnicolorType
disreguard what he said please ^

metal zone is one of the worst distortion pedals out there and 90% of this site will agree with me.

Friend has the same one, he doesn't like it to much, to much effort for nothing special. Do you have any suggestions?
well I'd love to help you out but I really don't know of any good distortion pedals as I love tube distortion over a stompbox.

a deep metal distortion.. hmm.

I've heard great things about the metal muff but I think it's more of a metal fuzz pedal.

I'm not sure how accurate the sound clips will be since the amps are different but they are all played on a clean channel..
on www.musiciansfriend.com look up some pedals and listen to the sound clips.. maybe that'll help?

edit:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=metal+distortion&st=
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 1, 2008,
well I'd love to help you out but I really don't know of any good distortion pedals as I love tube distortion over a stompbox.

Well if I had money for a nice warm Tube amp sound, I'd be over it. However at the moment I have to rely on a pedal to do the dirty work. The Metal Muff is pretty decent for what it does, i was half considering it in the begining
I have a Digitech Metal Master. It is definitely clear and isn't bassy, unless you want it to be. I don't have a 7-string though.
You will be looking for something with tubes in it since you'll need all the clarity you can get. My recomendation (that is if you can find one) is a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal (preamp). That will give you some kickass tones but it may be a little costly. You can also get a Boss DS-1 and use it with a compressor such as the CS-3 or an MXR compressor. I have used a Boss MT-2 with a MXR 10-band equalizer and a Boss CS-3 compressor and also got some pretty good results. You could even get a multi-FX pedal such as the Boss-GT8, Line 6 POD-XT Live or the newer GT-10 and POD models.

Ultimately though, you should be saving up for a decent tube-amp if you are looking for clear and massive distortion. I would recommend a B-52 Stealth or a Peavey Valve-King in the 300-500$ range, Peavey 6505 (or used 5150 if you can find one) in the 800-1000$ range and in the 1000$+ range, a Mesa Boogie Rectifier , a Rivera Knucklehead TRE or a Peavey JSX. I used a Single Recto for a very long while and its amazing, massive clear distortion, very good cleans (could use some head-room but hey can easily be corrected). Recently though I have moved up to a Road King and to me at least its the ultimate gigging amp.
yeah I'm not saying to get a tube amp, I'm just saying I wouldn't know about distortion boxes.. I planned on getting one actual.. specifically because my main amp can't go near heavy enough for metal and because I wanted something to use on the clean channel of my amp since I don't have an effects loop so can't use alot of effects on the dirty.
I suggest an eq pedal. You can cut whatever frequencies you need to cut and it will still be useful to you when you upgrade to a better amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
A simple and working solution is a DS-1 + MXR Compressor + MXR 10-band EQ. Then INCREASE the mids a bit, put a little bit of gain on your bass and keep highs flat on the MXR 10-band so it looks like a sad smiley (kinda). On the compressor you need to keep it so it will be tight but "spongy" (don't know how else to describe it).

Also, remember that with a 7-string guitars you are almost crossing into bass-guitar territory so its not like you need any more bass, therefore, DO NOT SCOOP THE MIDS because they are essential towards getting a clear distortion.
Mesa/Boogie Road King (v2) 120 Watt (std. tube config) on Traditional Road King Cabs (2x 4x12)- B.C. Rich Custom Shop Warlock 7-string and Modded B.C. Rich Plat. Pro Warlock 7-string - Boss GT-PRO
Last edited by leather_face666 at Jun 1, 2008,