Who are the most influential and most acknowledged Jazz musicians from the 1920's???

I can't find any.

I suppose it doesn't matter what instrument, either, though. haha.
The one I have heard most about is Django Reinhardt. But that might be more becuase he had 2 fingers than some extreme influence.
Should be in the Blues and Jazz forum.

That said, I have to say Sidney Bechet and Louis Armstrong come to mind. Most 1920's jazz was the New Orleans brand.
Gershwin. He was the first to incorporate jazz into classical music. Not to mention wrote some awesome standards, like "Summertime", and the ballad "I've Got a Crush on You"...

See "Rhapsody in Blue" for more details.
Quote by CorvetteRick
Wasn't Django Reinhardt jazz?
He was but he played in the fifties

Try Jelly Roll Morton. Love that guy.

And could the mods move this to the jazz forums?
Quote by GerGuam
The one I have heard most about is Django Reinhardt. But that might be more becuase he had 2 fingers than some extreme influence.
The fame and influence of guitarist Django Reinhardt has little to do with his having the use of only two playing fingers on his left hand, the result of a terrible burn he suffered in childhood. I encourage anyone who has not yet heard Django play to run, not walk, to your favorite recordings source and get some of his phrasing in your ears. There is simply no telling what this guy could have done with four functioning fingers.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
All music began and ended with Django. Andres Segovia, though he's not jazz per se...
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Duke was much later.

Most people have very little conception of jazz in the 20s because most of what we know about it exists now only in print and legend. Jazz was not, for the most part, ever recorded during that era.

As mentioned above, Armstrong, Bechet, et al.