I'm dropping out of college,and taking a distance learning degree.However,I won't be starting said degree until October 2009,due to age restrictions; an idea that came to mind was proofreading.

This seems to be a cool option for 3 reasons:
  • I'm moving out and will need a job.
  • I'll have **** all to do for several weeks,so can do a proofreading course.
  • After I get a proper job I can still do the proofreading,and I'd still be able to do it in my spare time. That results in spare cash.

The distance learning degree will be in English language and/or literature.

Does anyone here think it will be a good idea?
Does anyone have any advice on the matter?or advice on completing the course?

Tim
Don't you need a certain amount of UCAS points to do distance learning?

I'd love to do proofreading. I think it's a good idea in principle. How much is your course?
Nope,no formal requirements are needed

The proofreading courses vary from £100-£200,but they earn (on average) £15-£20 per hour.
They're also via distance learning,just a few assignments and you're done in around 6 weeks.
Well I think it'd definitely benefit your degree, and coupled with it, could get you a great job in editing or something in the future.

...Link? £200 isn't bad, I want.
Yeah go for it
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I think it'd definitely benefit your degree, and coupled with it, could get you a great job in editing or something in the future.

...Link? £200 isn't bad, I want.

One link,for the Rigiddigits

Quote by metaldud536
Distance learning isn't always great. If you're going for a job that will require a degree, you'll have a better chance if you earned your degree the common way.

No pokemon?
Actually,the distance/part time learning show that you're willing to work while working towards a degree. This shows employers that you're determined,and if you turn up to work/pass the degree...reliable and hard working. Sorted
Last edited by _Tim_ at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by _Tim_

No pokemon?
Actually,the distance/part time learning show that you're willing to work while working towards a degree. This shows employers that you're determined,and if you turn up to work/pass the degree...reliable and hard working. Sorted

ORLY? Becuase I'm doing something like that right now. I go to school for Graphic Design and do art for long distance education. Though I'm not sure if it's a waste of money but it's too late now.
Quote by metaldud536
ORLY? Becuase I'm doing something like that right now. I go to school for Graphic Design and do art for long distance education. Though I'm not sure if it's a waste of money but it's too late now.

well,from what I've looked into it's hard work,but an equally credible(sp?) alternative.
My grandfather did one of his degrees (he has 3 ) through the same institution I wish to do my English degree.
It worked out well for him,20 or 30 years ago.
It was electrical engineering btw,his others are in maths and mechanical engineering
Quote by _Tim_
well,from what I've looked into it's hard work,but an equally credible(sp?) alternative.
My grandfather did one of his degrees (he has 3 ) through the same institution I wish to do my English degree.
It worked out well for him,20 or 30 years ago.
It was electrical engineering btw,his others are in maths and mechanical engineering

The art thing I'm doing is not exactly a degree, more like college credits. Well it's good to know you know what you're doing. Good luck!
Quote by metaldud536
The art thing I'm doing is not exactly a degree, more like college credits. Well it's good to know you know what you're doing. Good luck!

That's how my course works, you sign up for individual modules every year and complete them. When you've done 6 of them (should take 3/4 years max) they add them together and you get a degree

and thanks a lot,good luck to you too