Poll Options
View poll results: So, which amp?
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
5 19%
Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier
3 11%
Peavey JSX
2 7%
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV (If I can find one...)
12 44%
Peavey XXX
2 7%
Line 6 Spider Valve
0 0%
Peavey 6505+
3 11%
Voters: 27.
I want a good amp head for playing metal (think Alexi Laiho's guitar sound), but can also play decent clean, also Metallica's "...And Justice For All" sound (obviously not EXACTLY those sounds, I'm not trying to copy them). and a Cab to go with it. The head needs to be clear, and have 3 switchable channels, with a good dirty channel.

My choices for the head are:

1. Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Head

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Dual_Rectifier/dual_rectifier.html

2. Peavey 6505 Head

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116181/number/00575680/cat/306/begin/1/6505(R)%20Plus%20Head.cfm

3. Peavey Triple XXX Head

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/102871/Triple%20XXX(R)%20Head.cfm

4. Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier Head

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Triple_Rectifier/triple_rectifier.html

-I've been mostly thinking of buying the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Head, but I'm curious if it can cover those sounds.

-My choice for the cabinet is a Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Rectifier cabinet, but I'm curious if it can cover those sounds.

Thanks!
ESP GUITARS
How about a JSX, 3 channels of kickass tone.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
How about a JSX, 3 channels of kickass tone.

But do they suit that style of music?
ESP GUITARS
Quote by Horror-Punk77
But do they suit that style of music?

can prolly do any type of music with that amp, satch certainly created a beast with that one
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
mm...if you can deal with only having 2 channels or expanding the budget, ENGL Fireball and Powerball would be options.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Well... The 5150 only has 2 channels and you said you need 3, cleans aren't really it's strong point at higher volumes.

The Rectos have really loose bass and don't sound good at all unless they're at high volumes (imo). If you want a good Recto go with a Rect-O-Verb, Roadster or Roadking, also check into the Mark IV.

The XXX is a good amp but I'd suggest you try it before you buy it. It's a love/hate relationship with people on these amps, a lot like them and a lot hate them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Ziggy936
can prolly do any type of music with that amp, satch certainly created a beast with that one

Yeah dude, I tried one out with an MXR GT OD the other day and it as brutal as ****!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
They can still be had on ebay for anywhere between $1000 and $1500.
Nahh... I don't really like the bugera, haha. Also, I wanted a half stack. For some reason, I want a Triple Recto head, and a 4x12 recto closed back cabinet.

If I COULD though, I'd get one of those Medium Mark IV's.
ESP GUITARS
Last edited by Horror-Punk77 at Jun 2, 2008,
Check out the JSX... the ULTIMATE versatile amp - everything they do sounds like gold.

If Satch himself uses them and is satisfied, it should be good enough for most of us.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Check out the JSX... the ULTIMATE versatile amp - everything they do sounds like gold.

If Satch himself uses them and is satisfied, it should be good enough for most of us.

amen, its worth its weight in gold
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
I've never played a JSX but considering how great the Ibanez JS series guitars are I wouldn't be surprised if I absolutely loved it once I do get a chance to play one, Satriani really is a genuis when it comes to designing the products he endorses.

With that said, I've played a dual rec and a triple rec and a Mark IV and I definitely feel that the Mark IV has all the tones you listed covered very nicely, it's an immensely versatile amp and can get very brutal.

If I may make a suggestion, look into the Carvin V3. I still haven't found a sound it can't do incredibly well, for the price I'd even say I like it more than a Mark IV.
Quote by Raijouta

It's a nice versatile amp, but I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying it's the "ultimate" one. My Mark IV > JSX anyday for versatility imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta

Satch designed it, but he doesn't use it.
I'm pretty sure he uses Cornford amps.
Much nicer, but way more expensive.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Satch designed it, but he doesn't use it.
I'm pretty sure he uses Cornford amps.
Much nicer, but way more expensive.

Hey used a JSX head with JSX cab when I saw him a few months ago.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com