The Strangers was absolutely terrible.

I've noticed a growing trend in recent blockbusters: a lack of motives. For example, in The Strangers, no real reason was explained as to why this couple is being brutally murdered by these three strangers. Some other great examples would be Cloverfield, where the origin of the monster was given, or The Mist, where no explanation of origin of the Mist was told to the audience.

This really bothers me. Movies like these always leave me feeling unsatisfied. It seems as though Hollywood writers are just getting more and more lazy.

Post general thoughts on this topic, whatever you want. Agree?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
its not exactly a new trend...go find some small budget indie films...they are typically alot better and take more chances..
They were being killed because they opened the door.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by IzRG350
The new Batman will save us all

EDIT:
"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
Last edited by green room at Jun 2, 2008,
Am I the only one who thought cloverfield really wasn't that great?

Anyways... yeah, some movies stink.
The Forbidden Kingdom was pretty good for a new movie.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I thought that's how the vast majority of movies always were, not really a trend.
Who dat?
The Strangers - the lack of motive is supposed to be scary, that people will do that for no reason.

Cloverfield - the viral marketing gives you clues, tries to make it fun for you to FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF.

The Mist - The army guy they sacrifice tells where the monsters came from and what part the military had in allowing them into our world.

Ta-da?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Well, the Mist was simply being true to the book.

And Cloverfield lacked most plot elements due to the fact that it was going for that specific bystander perspective. And if that happened, someone in that position probably wouldn't ever know why.

Nevertheless, I still understand and sympathize with your point.

+1 to Batman.

To be honest, I think you should ignore what is coming out in theaters and just stick to the classics.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

To be honest, I think you should ignore what is coming out in theaters and just stick to the classics.

I f*cking love that movie!
I have nothing unique or funny to put here.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

... that movie gave me nightmares....i used to think when i'd flush my toilet it'd come up and get me....
I hate the word "movies". I hate the way it's almost completely replaced "films" over the last couple of years.
Quote by Kartman
The Strangers was absolutely terrible.

I've noticed a growing trend in recent blockbusters: a lack of motives. For example, in The Strangers, no real reason was explained as to why this couple is being brutally murdered by these three strangers. Some other great examples would be Cloverfield, where the origin of the monster was given, or The Mist, where no explanation of origin of the Mist was told to the audience.

This really bothers me. Movies like these always leave me feeling unsatisfied. It seems as though Hollywood writers are just getting more and more lazy.

Post general thoughts on this topic, whatever you want. Agree?

I agree completely, finally someone who agrees, the people I live near worship these movies. Movies seem to be going downhill, even the ones that are supposed to be funny. Like superbad and movies like it. Generally so stupid they arn't funny anymore. Cmon Hollywood wtf is going on?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

that movie is awesome, and has one of the best theme songs of all time.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I just watched I'm Not There

that was a really good film
I have nothing unique or funny to put here.
Quote by AdmiralEmily
I f*cking love that movie!

Go see The Day the Earth Caught Fire and Tarantula. I saw them when I was a kid and they were fantastic, they're on the website I got that picture from if you'd like a review. But they are some of the best movies I've ever seen. Tarantula is even better than Godzilla.
Quote by vintage x metal

well the movie "the happening" the preview just confused the fck out of my i had no idea what the hell was going on so yea seems retarded people just dieing like was it a virus or something no its some weird force or somthing..
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
just watch juno over and over.

I'd rather watch Glen or Glenda over and over again until the day I die than have to sit through Juno one more time.

I say that because I'm watching Glen or Glenda right now.
Quote by vintage x metal

well i saw Juno last night, so my faith in good films is high.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I agree completely, finally someone who agrees, the people I live near worship these movies. Movies seem to be going downhill, even the ones that are supposed to be funny. Like superbad and movies like it. Generally so stupid they arn't funny anymore. Cmon Hollywood wtf is going on?

Honestly, Superbad was alright, not the best, but alright. I really loved Knocked Up, though.

And I'm currently reading the novel "The Mist", just so I can see if it reveals anything that the movie didn't. Great story, in my opinion.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Am I the only one who thought cloverfield really wasn't that great?

Thank god there is someone that agrees with me. From my point of view Cloverfield is the worst movie I've seen all year and I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater and waste my money on it. I won't go into reasons I disliked it here, but the unexplained parts didn't bother me, I don't mind elements of mystery in films if it's done well. Hopefully none of the Cloverfield fanboys will come in this thread, I've already had one run in with their woefully illiterate kind on here before.

On topic, I saw Atonment tonight on DVD and thought it was atrocious as well, it seemed completely uncreative to me. Most movies that hollywood releases are terrible, I agree that lesser known films are often better. For instance I saw Brick this week and it was definitley one of the best films I've seen all year.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Quote by smb
I hate the word "movies". I hate the way it's almost completely replaced "films" over the last couple of years.

At least you don't have to hear anyone calling them "talkies." Personally, I'd prefer to have them called "Pictures" than anything else. It sounds better. Film sound pretentious, movie sounds goofy, and pictures just sounds cool.
Quote by vintage x metal

So in The Strangers, the couple just... die? I heard that some where and mentioned it to my Moms and she said. "Bullshnocks, I would not be happy If I just sat through a movie just to see them die". Movie made my Moms sad.
Quote by Kartman
Honestly, Superbad was alright, not the best, but alright. I really loved Knocked Up, though.

And I'm currently reading the novel "The Mist", just so I can see if it reveals anything that the movie didn't. Great story, in my opinion.

eh superbad had no plot.
I don't know if you've seen Michael Clayton, but DAMN! that movie was good. A bit confusing, but still good.

Or at least I thought so.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
So in The Strangers, the couple just... die? I heard that some where and mentioned it to my Moms and she said. "Bullshnocks, I would not be happy If I just sat through a movie just to see them die". Movie made my Moms sad.

Did you find her in the bathtub trying to slit her wrists after watching Old Yeller?

By the way, someone guess what movie this is.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did you find her in the bathtub trying to slit her wrists after watching Old Yeller?

By the way, someone guess what movie this is.

Bushy Hill?
Quote by Kartman
Bushy Hill?

Nope. Its just a random picture.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jun 2, 2008,
lol u suck Jack Off Jill.
wouldn't a lack of motive be that more scary? I think so personally. There's no way to stop them or bargain with them if they're just doing it for the lulz
Quote by Kartman
lol u suck Jack Off Jill.

I do it for the lulz. It could be a part of a movie, you never know. Its what came up when I typed My Side of the Mountain movie into Google. But I don't think its in that movie cause I don't remember that kid growing up and having long hair.. but he might have, I haven't seen it in a long time.
Quote by DesertRockerX10
wouldn't a lack of motive be that more scary? I think so personally. There's no way to stop them or bargain with them if they're just doing it for the lulz

No, that would be lame. The point of making a movie is telling a story, not pissing me off. It isn't scary at all. It just pisses you off. The only thing scary about it is the riot I'm going to incite when I can't get my eight bucks back.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Rancid_Punk
On topic, I saw Atonment tonight on DVD and thought it was atrocious as well, it seemed completely uncreative to me. Most movies that hollywood releases are terrible, I agree that lesser known films are often better. For instance I saw Brick this week and it was definitley one of the best films I've seen all year.

Atonement was hardly atrocious. I mean seriously....
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~