So I'm getting an electric guitar for the first time. I would call myself a beginner, but I do know how to play a little - I know some chords/power chords, some simple riffs, and some simple solos. I can improvise a little bit in G major, and Em pentatonic. I'm looking to play a wide range of music, but I guess my focus is on rock.

I've narrowed my guitar search down to two:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-AES620-Electric-Guitar-518191-i1149933.gc
(the orange one)

or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-101835650-i1150003.gc
in worn brown

I've played both of them, and they feel and sound ok to me, but at my level, I don't think I can really reliably tell. I can get the yamaha for $399 (though I think I can get the guy to go lower) at a local music shop with some stuff probably thrown in. I would order the epiphone from guitar center website.

So which one would you guys get? Do you have any preferences or biases for either model or brand based on experience or what you've heard? Are there any particular design flaws in either one?

Thanks
Last edited by MjolnirMan at Jun 2, 2008,
I would have to agree that Epiphone produces quality instruments. My experience would lean towards Epiphone.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
I don't like the shape as much, but that Yamaha does look like it's of better quality. Why not look at an Epiphone Les Paul around the price range of the Yamaha?
Last edited by StraightxXxEdge at Jun 2, 2008,
the yamaha is freaking ugly, but it looks like its better quality overall, and that's what matters.
I would say the Epiphone.. I heard the Studio Models were Nice
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
thanks for all the replies. so it seems that the votes are about split evenly so far. any details on why you would prefer one or the other would be great (ie. someone said that the yamaha had better features - which features are they? and how important is that?)

Thanks
Yamaha.

Simple enough. Stay away from Epi's you dont get to try out first. Unless you enjoy replacing pickup selectors.

Plus, on paper, the Yamaha looks like it'll blow the epi out of the water.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

I'd go for the Yamaha. Not sure why.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

I've played the Yamaha in question and a variant or the epiphone and there's not much between them. I wouldn't favour either. Yamaha build quality though is outstanding and the tone is very good.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I got my first guitar from my friend. It's a Tribute. (ASAT Special for just $20 along with the gig bag) For some reason it's a bit easier to use than any other guitar I've used so far. She said that she got it for $500 and that it's really easy to learn on.

Noob to guitars
For me to make a good opinon, I gotta play it first. But on my own knowledge, I would say the Epiphone.
I have a Yamaha bass which i'm very happy with, because Yamaha produces excellent range *flamewall* FOR THE PRICE, such as pacifica but in this case i'd say

Epiphone because it should be better xD
/CENTER]
If you can afford the Yamaha, then you can also afford an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is much, much better than either that Epi LP Studio or that Yamaha.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yamaha, I've yet to play a bad Yamaha so that's as good a reason as any. On the other hand I've played some nasty Epiphones.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah, do play them, i have also played VERY horrible Epiphones to REASONABLE Epiphones, the range does seem to vary..
/CENTER]
Quote by Kurapica
Yamaha, I've yet to play a bad Yamaha so that's as good a reason as any. On the other hand I've played some nasty Epiphones.

exactly, agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definately Yamaha. It'll kick the epis ass, Yamaha isnt a very well known guitar brand but they make excellent stuff. Epiphone is owned by gibson and fairly overpriced, although they generally make quality gear you occasionally get really crappy ones.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by MjolnirMan
so i'm guessing the problem with epi is bad QC?

Yes, especially the studio series.

Every DOT studio i touched in GC the knobs were falling off. He(the sales rep) said that the studio Epis have poor quality. I saw a few reviews on youtube and two of the guys with Epi studios LP's said their knobs came of fairly quickly and easily. And teh electronics inside are subpar.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Last edited by Dav23 at Jun 2, 2008,
alright, thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to go with the Yamaha, since I won't be able to play that particular epi if I order it. wish me luck in the haggling.