I can't quite establish what seems like the better choice. There seem to be a lot of affordable digital multi-track recorders like this which has loads of features. But at the same time, a lot of people seem to like USB/Firewire devices like the M-Audio. I have a decent PC so I'm sure that would work too.

What would be better for me?

All I personally want to do is record my guitar amp (using an SM57), vocals, a bit of acoustic and stuff like that. But I'd like to record with my band in the future too...

Basically, I need to know which is more accessable and are there any devices I should check out in particular?
Personally, I'd definitely go for the PC option, especially if you have a decent computer. An MTR (multi track recorder) is a good option for recording on location, or if you have a crap PC. They are usually quite pricey for what you get, and you don't get the flexibility of mixing and editing that you get with a computer (unless you spend a fortune).

I'd much rather get a USB interface and a decent piece of software such as Reaper. What kind of budget are you working with ?
There is poetry in despair.
another vote for the PC based DAW.

MTRs are nice for recording on the road but they are very hard to work on alone and are limited in many ways.
With a DAW you get a ton of features depending on your software, you can track many instruments at one time with a firewire interface, and generally you get better quality with an interface IMO.
Quote by fridge_raider
Personally, I'd definitely go for the PC option, especially if you have a decent computer. An MTR (multi track recorder) is a good option for recording on location, or if you have a crap PC. They are usually quite pricey for what you get, and you don't get the flexibility of mixing and editing that you get with a computer (unless you spend a fortune).

I'd much rather get a USB interface and a decent piece of software such as Reaper. What kind of budget are you working with ?

I'm working with about £300 ($600 ish)
And is that just for the interface? Or do you have more mics to consider, because you'll need plenty if you want to record your band in the future.
There is poetry in despair.