Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm new to dream theater and it'd help if someone would give suggestions to their best, most approachable and favourite albums!

Thanks
Well the first one i listened to (and still my favorite) is Octavarium. It's an amazing album. You won't be dissapointed.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
i just started getting into them and got their greatest hits "greatest hits and 21 other pretty cool songs". and then got sustematic chaos.
they are the only albums of theirs i have so far, but i think that they are good
Images and Words, Awake and Metropolis Part II, any of them would be a good place to start.

Also, you should check out some videos from their live dvd 'Score' on youtube
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I think there's a Dream Theater thread in the shred forum. You'll probably get a better response there. But I'll say Awake is my favourite Dream Theater album
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
I really like Octavarium, can listen to every song on it without getting bored, including Octavarium (the song).
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

I like Six Degress of Inner Turbulance most. It has pretty much every aspect of their sound covered.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Listen to the Awake album. And the song Octavarium. I actually recommend every album except for When Day And Dream Unite.
Quote by SealCubMassacre
Scenes from a Memory is their best album.

That's the first one I got, and I didn't really like it that much. It's grown on me now, but it's not the best one to start with. I'd say the best to start with are Six Degrees or Images and Words.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by SealCubMassacre

+1...but I think Six Degrees is on par with it.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
My favourite currently is Falling into Infinity

but i also LOVE scenes from a memory images and words and octavarium

tbh i love all their albums, but i think the one that covers most of tehir styles would definately be 6 degrees of inner turbulance, covers a really wide range of styles, nd is just a great album overall.

Once you got that id say:

Images and words
Octavarium
Scene from a memory

(theyre all amazing though)
PSN: Noverion
Train of Thought, Scenes from a Memory, and systematic chaos!!!

pepsi

...then get into some LTE!!!
Honestly, the way I properly got into them was from just getting every single album they've done, and listening to bits and pieces from each one as I felt like it. Like, take one or two songs from each album, listen to those for awhile, then move on to another set of songs, one from each album. I've moved through about 3 phases of that now, and it's definitely been the easiest way to get into them cause they are a pretty dense band.

They're not the sort of band that you can just start listening to willy nilly and get straight into it cause all the music is just so thick. One song can actually keep you engaged for heaps of listens, unlike most bands where listening a song 10-15 times will probably make you sick of it.
i think the idea here is that if you like dream theater, you will eventually love most of their stuff. with different vocals, WDADU could have been way cooler... but as it is, its my least favorite album.

i for into them through the Train of Thought album, and i love their music... but have to say that i really like Images and Words, Scenes From A Memory, Octavarium, and the song A Change of Seasons the most. but its all good stuff
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
They're not the sort of band that you can just start listening to willy nilly and get straight into it cause all the music is just so thick. One song can actually keep you engaged for heaps of listens, unlike most bands where listening a song 10-15 times will probably make you sick of it.

yea i know. i can listen to their music now and just concentrate on ONE instrument and i always find something new. its great!
Quote by Guitar_Poet
yea i know. i can listen to their music now and just concentrate on ONE instrument and i always find something new. its great!

Panic Attack is a WICKED song to listen to if you're angry or tense in anyway. The main riffs seriously work you up so much it's awesome. Great song to play on Audiosurf too, cause along with the gameplay the song is just so intense it comes really close to giving you a........wait for it.......PANIC ATTACK!!!!
Their newest album Sytematic Choas is great But other favorites of mine are Awake and Train of Thought. If you are looking for something heavy that screams I R Teh Metal then check out Train of Thought!! It has excellent songs like Honor Thy Father and Stream of Conscienceness!!
You've gotten me started!

The Majesty Demos - 1985 - Your Majesty, Two Far, Another Won (Unreleased Tracks, very rare, some feature James LaBrie)

When Dream & Day Unite - 1989 - Status Seeker, Ytse Jam

Another Day (EP) - A Fortune in Lies (Live)

Images & Words - 1992 - Pull Me Under, Metropolis Part 1, Under a Glass Moon, Wait For Sleep, Learning to Live

The Silent Man (EP) - 1994 - Eve

Lie (EP) - To Live Forever

Awake - 1994 - 6:00, Erotomania, Voices, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Space-Dye Vest

A Change of Seasons (EP) - 1995 - A Change of Seasons

Hollow Years (EP) - 1997 - The Way it Used to Be

Falling Into Infinity - 1997 - Anna Lee, Trial of Tears

Through Her Eyes (EP) - When Images & Words Unite (Live Medley)

Scenes From A Memory - 1999 - Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Fatal Tragedy, Home, The Dance of Eternity, One Last Time, The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - 2002 - The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, The Great Debate, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought - 2003 - As I Am, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father, Stream of Consciousness

Octavarium - 2005 - The Root of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium

Systematic Chaos - 2007 - In The Presence of Enemies Part 1, Forsaken, Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night, Repentance, Ministry of Lost Souls

Those are all the albums (and EP's) and their best tracks. Hope that helped! ^_^
Awake or Scenes From a Memory. Listen to the song "Home".
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
train of thought then scenes from a memory
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by 'Leviathan'

The Majesty Demos - 1985 - Your Majesty, Two Far, Another Won (Unreleased Tracks, very rare, some feature James LaBrie)

Images & Words - 1992 - Pull Me Under, Metropolis Part 1, Under a Glass Moon, Wait For Sleep, Learning to Live

Awake - 1994 - 6:00, Erotomania, Voices, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Space-Dye Vest

Scenes From A Memory - 1999 - Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Fatal Tragedy, Home, The Dance of Eternity, One Last Time, The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - 2002 - The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, The Great Debate, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought - 2003 - As I Am, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father, Stream of Consciousness

Octavarium - 2005 - The Root of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium

Systematic Chaos - 2007 - In The Presence of Enemies Part 1, Forsaken, Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night, Repentance, Ministry of Lost Souls

Those are all the albums (and EP's) and their best tracks. Hope that helped! ^_^

You missed out Panic Attack on Octavarium?!

Anyway, I'd have to say Octavarium or Scenes From A Memory are their best
Scenes from a Memory and Octavarium.

Everyone has their own personal favourite, each album seems to have its own nuances and such.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

What the fudge?!?! You completely forgot about "In The Name of God". Possibly the most epic way anyone's finished an album in music history!
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Scenes from a Memory remains the only album I have listened to all the way through in one sitting.
looks like DT is gonna take up a lot of my time, thanks guys
I got Octavarium and Images and Words and DT are simply epic

I'm just sad it took me so long to catch onto them =(
also John Petrucci made me realise how much I suck
Quote by SealCubMassacre

+1

I love this CD! Too bad they took it off the Zune marketplace though.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I like heavy DT. So Train of Thought and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Images and words was their old sound and it was far better than the new.

Train of Thought is their heaviest album, and Octavarium is also up there in heaviness (The latter being a much better album).

Scenes from a Memory wins, though. It is by far their best album.
Last edited by synpet713192 at Jun 3, 2008,
Awake, Images and Words, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Train of Thought are my personal favorites.
If you like some heavy stuff, listen to the song the dark eternal night
When all else fails, ask the pit.
SUP I am probably the biggest Dream Theater fan you will find on here, and am pretty much a DT expert, so if you need ANYTHING, just tell me!

Anyway, the best album is Images and Words, MAKE SURE you get this one, and listen to Metropolis Part 1 over and over and over and over until you know it really good. Also really good songs off IAW are Take the Time, Pull Me Under (IM NOT AFRAID!!!!), and Under a Glass Moon. After that, get Scenes from Memory, listen to the whole album, especially the song home, it is INSANITY!!!!!!!! Then get Octavarium, and listen to the entire song Octavarium OMG crazy song. Sorry, you have got me going on DT because I would die for them. I saw them live last week and literally **** in my pants at the mere sight. Let me know when you have every song down in your head. The average DT fan know every Dream Theater song off every album, at least that is what I see. DT plays completely random songs at every concert and all the fans I have seen are still able to sing the entire lyrics, so if you are going to get into them, go all the way because DT is the pinnacle of the music listening experience!
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Well the first one i listened to (and still my favorite) is Octavarium. It's an amazing album. You won't be dissapointed.

I second this, and I will also say systematic chaos is a good CD, a bit heavier then octavarium though. Awake is also really good.
Get Images and Words-> Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence-> Scenes From a Memory-> Awake-> Falling Into Infinity (So underrated)-> Awake-> Octavarium-> When Dream and Day Unite-> Train of Thought-> A Change of Seasons->Systematic Chaos-> Everything else (Majesty Demos, Live bootlegs etc..)

Seriously though, Systematic Chaos is their worst CD
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Quote by Jk3y

also John Petrucci made me realise how much I suck

Me too. =(

Honestly, you should also get awake. Their best album, IMO.
Also, get liquid tension experiment one and two.
Page 1 of 2