if for example a chose Cmaj scale to accompany the chord Cmaj in soloing,
am i limited only with pressing C D E F G A B C straight? or i can play them like D E G C B A D D D E and so on..

what degree is the best note to accompany (begin and end) a chord?
lets say i chose Cmaj as the CHord, Which among C D E F G A B C is the best note to start the riff and end it?

i hope you got my question.

thanks!
If people just played every solo in a straight way like that, the world would be a boring place...

Nah man, go crazy!

EDIT: And do alot of bends...
bends kick ass.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Last edited by Dave Gilmour at Jun 2, 2008,
starting and ending on C gives a resolved sound but sometimes it sounds cool to go from somewhere else.
And play whatever notes from the scale you want. Sometimes, if you intentionally throw in a note thats not from the scale, then resolve it, it sounds nice.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Ya, if you played them in order everything would sound the same. Try different intervals, use slides, bends, hammerons/pulloffs, etc.
You can start on whatever note , but the arppegios of the chords
is good place to start . Use the arrpegios to play off of. Slide out
them into other notes, or into them from other notes.
bends, hammers/pulls ...etc

play them in any order you wish.
Listen to a great solo. Does every phrase move in a scalar fashion, or are there skips?

Answer: Skips, lots of skips.

The pentatonic scale, the most common scale in rock music, forces you to skip. The Am scale goes A B C D E... and the minor pentatonic goes A C D...it makes you skip that B note.

For help with soloing and phrasing, watch the "learn to solo" video in my signature.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 2, 2008,
use your ears man, you will get better faster anyway. i just do so much improvisation now. Go for the sound you want not whats best. and if you practice enough at that, your sound WILL be the best
First of all listen to millions of solos. If you have a song in Cmaj, look at solos in Cmaj or in the same chord progression and try to listen to it and learn it. It is also important that if the chord progression is different the scale you are using might be completely different. Imagine the case we just have the chord Cmaj playing over and over again. You would use the Ionian (major) scale for this, but if then the chord progression shifts then you would need to use other scales for this.

For a better improvisation try to do as people say, bends, hammer ons, pull offs, arpeggios, tapping and the million techniques you can find. But basically, use some licks you've heard from other solos in a similar chord progression, do them in your chord progression and then try to invent licks for your chord progression.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Really the best way to learn is to listen. Listen to solos that you like and then try to incorporate some of those ideas into your playing.
Quote by slidething31
Really the best way to learn is to listen. Listen to solos that you like and then try to incorporate some of those ideas into your playing.

+1

learn the scales, but when you solo..... play music.

Its not as simple as "these are the correct notes to play over this chord". You really have to listen and play what sounds good to you, not what you think you should play because someone online told you its correct.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 3, 2008,
There are no "correct" notes, simply improvise and listen a lot and you will gradually pick up how each note relates to the underlying harmony and thus which to use when you want a certain sound.