Hey people

My band and I are just a school band thing.
We can play covers easily all keeping in time no problem and stuff
but when we come to write our own songs we get in trouble

Like we know our scales etc so thats alrite, its just making a song sound good
Any tips/suggestions that can help us achieve making a couple of our own songs which will sound good?

Thanks
Throw it away
Forget yesterday
We'll make the great escape
There are post's and posts about song writing on this forum. What would you like to know specifically? How to write progressions? How to write singing melodies? How to improvise? Oh theres so many other how to's...
Well one issue we have is trying to fit singing in with a guitar
like what notes do you sing if you have one guitar picking a certain group of notes from a scale, how do u work in singing to make it work well with the certain scale being picked?

Because i havnt learnt much in terms of that
and that would help out our band alot
thanks
Throw it away
Forget yesterday
We'll make the great escape
Sing a melody in the same key as the guitar, it's also a good idea to follow the chords by singing chord tones
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Just get out a guitar and noodle around and find something simple (theres more to it, but this is the best advice for a beginner)

When writing vocal lines, make sure you dont do any diminished fifth steps, minor sixth steps, major sixth steps, or minor/major seventh steps. Octaves are okay. These steps are generally too hard to sing, but if your experienced you may be able to do it.
Pentatonics are good for folky songs, but if you want to write something with a more contemporary feel, try to move about by a semitone or tone, probably to a scale like a scalar run (but dont do more than 3 or 4 of these small steps as its also hard to sing). Also, alot of contemporary songs like to repeat notes (unison interval), try to avoid doing this too much because the melody will 'stick.' In my oppinion 2 or 3 repitions of the same note is enough. Anything 4 or more is over kill and will stick, in most situations.
Rhthym wise, try to phrase your songs like the sort of music you listen to (this is also over simplified). Anacrusic rhthyms actually do quite well. Anacrusic means the melody starts on a weak beat, half or three quarters into a bar. Syncopation, which is similar, also makes melodies rhthymically catchy. But dont use it too much, as syncopation is sort of hard to sing.

By the way, I'm not a singer (I barely have an octave range)), just really interested in composition.

And I could find a post about rhthym in melodies, but i cbf. Just copy the rhthym from a song you like.
Write a sad poem ( if anyone in the bands any good at poems) then just pick a few chords, or just hit some slow random low notes. Try listening to Lonely Day by System of a Down, and thats how I try to think of slow songs. Other wise just play random stuff, chords, think of some words, and try to make a rythmn...rythnm? whats the spelling im looking for...rythym?
I would first start out doing something EXTREMELY easy, like a chord every 4 beats. Then, take those chords, add some mutes or bend or what ever, and keep on going like that until you get it how you think it should sound. If you are into newer stuff, keep the chords held longer. If you are into older 80's or 70's stuff, use more mutes and pick mutes.

If you try to solo, do the same thing. Keep it easy, add bends and releases, then try some faster swithching/more notes, some more improvising, and there you go.
Just jam dude, thats how I get most of my riffs, just sitting down and jammin with the band mates. Then after you have some riffs you can begin creating a song.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Just jam dude, thats how I get most of my riffs, just sitting down and jammin with the band mates. Then after you have some riffs you can begin creating a song.

thats exactly what my band do and great things that we love.

people at our school enjoying listening to us

so what he said is a good idea