Page 1 of 6
Does anyone else blame the breakdown of society partly on the over-emphasis of human rights and neglect of responsibility? That's not to say we shouldn't have human rights of course, but instead of my responsibility to society, my right to do and have what I want is emphasized.

And you can see what kind of society is produced - people who sue over stupid things, people who don't care about others, kids who think the world owes it to them, violent kids who have no respect for parents or teachers, more breakdown of families and marriages, over political correctness, lack of justice, people with no sense of right and wrong, or remorse after crimes. Of course, each one of these things is a very complex problem and must have many causes. But surely the over-emphasis of "rights" and neglect of responsibility hasn't helped.

Anyone else agree?
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
The total lack of ability to punish people for their actions nowadays has quite a lot to do with the way some people behave....

And the lawsuit culture.... I'm not even going to start on that one....
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
It's making us weak, like holidays did with Rome..
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
oh please the human rights act is so hypocritical it makes it easy looking for an honest man in parliament. human rights is such a constraight on actually keeping law and order that people can just about get away with murder and various other acts that i am not willing to speak of. in my opinion human rights are only fair if they are not abused and used as an excuse for everything. if anyone has taken law as a subject at A/s level in britain, i just want to know if you did the question on LW3 about prostitution??
Quote by GnR_ROK
Words for describing the ladies subtly

Damage - bit of alright
Major damage - bloody fit
Damage has been done - older fit bird
minor damage - fit but you would be arrested for it
collateral damage - ugly bird with fit mates
Quote by Parx
Does anyone else blame the breakdown of society partly on the over-emphasis of human rights and neglect of responsibility? That's not to say we shouldn't have human rights of course, but instead of my responsibility to society, my right to do and have what I want is emphasized.

And you can see what kind of society is produced - people who sue over stupid things, people who don't care about others, kids who think the world owes it to them, violent kids who have no respect for parents or teachers, more breakdown of families and marriages, over political correctness, lack of justice, people with no sense of right and wrong, or remorse after crimes. Of course, each one of these things is a very complex problem and must have many causes. But surely the over-emphasis of "rights" and neglect of responsibility hasn't helped.

Anyone else agree?

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. You state that you think there are too many observed human rights, but then you argue that people don't act with a sense of social consciousness, which would seem, then, to suggest that the emphasis on society is selfishness rather than focusing on making people socially and communally aware. I guess you'll have to define for me what your working definition of "human rights" is.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Fleabag
The total lack of ability to punish people for their actions nowadays has quite a lot to do with the way some people behave....

And the lawsuit culture.... I'm not even going to start on that one....

yeah. the things you read and hear about are completely ridiculous.
Quote by Fleabag

And why can't people be punished? "Human rights". If a child is lightly smacked by a parent for being violent, and calls the police, they come straight away and the parent has no legs to stand on. If an old person calls the police for a group of kids throwing stones at her windows, the police take ages and don't really care.

Of course, that's partly the fact that police want to solve easy "crimes" to fill targets. But still - it's an attempt to protect the human rights of the child.
Quote by mustardman
I don't really think that. What does having a set of inherent human rights have to do with lawsuit culture? There might be some correlation, but I think you're pretty damn far from proving causation there. I also don't think society is "downfallen" recently. It's in the same state of pros and cons that it's always been in, it changes but rarely gets much better or worse. And what does society even mean? US, British, Western World wide? Sounds pretty broad and over-generalized to me.
What do you understand human rights to mean? It seems to me that the superficial 'rights' of people in developed countries often override the human rights of people in developing ones. Efforts to protect their basic rights like access to food and water, and freedom from torture etc are neglected while Western politicians prefer to pretend to fight over issues that win them votes.
I think technology and the affluence of developed countries also has a huge effect.... Higher wage levels and technology making peoples lives easier gives the average middle class an abundance of free time..... Some of whom spend the time and money in a pub... then become drunk and cause trouble at night......(an even smaller minority) These people then set a bad example for their families( if any) they are also stereotyped by the media and put into the public spotlight... This then causes mouldable adolescents to believe that such behaviour is socially acceptable and thus the cycle begins... growing larger in every generaton

However there's a plethora of other attributable reasons such as
Media
Celebrity Culture
Narrow minded Educational Systems
Peer pressure
i agree, but there are other factors which are helping the downfall of society
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Dirk Gently
Your argument makes absolutely no sense. You state that you think there are too many observed human rights, but then you argue that people don't act with a sense of social consciousness, which would seem, then, to suggest that the emphasis on society is selfishness rather than focusing on making people socially and communally aware. I guess you'll have to define for me what your working definition of "human rights" is.

My suggestion is that instead of emphasis on rights, the emphasis should be responsibility. It's not that there are too many human rights, but the wrong ones, they're twisted and too complex. More importantly, it's the principle of rights over responsibility that is not good for society.

Human rights is what I should be able to do/have simply because I'm a human.
Quote by mustardman
ya it seems like "human rights" isnt being taken the way it should. instead of taking the full aspect of having human rights (having the freedom you deserve, but not abusing it and allowing your fellow man to have it as well), people seem to have selective attention when it comes to the issue (mainly, having the freedom you deserve).

edit- with human rights there seems to be some "guidelines" that come with it. like said above, you: 1. can't abuse them 2. allow your fellow man to have one, but there is also another one (probably the most important), and that could be 3. doing/having the same things as another human (assuming every person is a human ). the third one seems to be completly ignored (aka, hypocrisy), as people are sueing other people when they would think it would be dumb to be sued themselves for the same thing, etc... etc... there seems to be alot of hypocrisy going on here....
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Last edited by The2abraxis at Jun 2, 2008,
Quote by Parx
And why can't people be punished? "Human rights". If a child is lightly smacked by a parent for being violent, and calls the police, they come straight away and the parent has no legs to stand on. If an old person calls the police for a group of kids throwing stones at her windows, the police take ages and don't really care.

Of course, that's partly the fact that police want to solve easy "crimes" to fill targets. But still - it's an attempt to protect the human rights of the child.

A valid argument. But as far as I'm concerned, smacking a child doesn't necessarily constitute a crime, whereas gangs of youths are often found committing a crime which they basically get away with. ASBO's don't exactly seem to be having much effect...

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by rigiddigits
What do you understand human rights to mean? It seems to me that the superficial 'rights' of people in developed countries often override the human rights of people in developing ones. Efforts to protect their basic rights like access to food and water, and freedom from torture etc are neglected while Western politicians prefer to pretend to fight over issues that win them votes.

This is very true.
Quote by mustardman
I suggest everyone saying society is going downhill read some history...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

It's not only now that it's going downhill?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Kensai

When people 'society is going downhill', I don't know why they need to compare it to the past. Just say 'i'm not satisfied with society, these are my ideas to improve it'

/bit unrelated
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jun 2, 2008,
I blame it on lack of spirituality.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I blame it on lack of spirituality.

In which form?

- Religion?

- Or the belief that aliens will gang rape us?
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
In which form?

- Religion?

- Or the belief that aliens will gang rape us?

The one that isn't completely retarded.

We have loads of catholic and anglican churches around here, and a bit further afield, you can find other religious churches. You could walk into any one of them and the people there will be friendly and nice to you.

The bigger problem is when you go out onto the streets, and you talk to the people with no 'beliefs', the people with no foundation on which they base their morals, and the people that do what they want because they think they are in control of their lives. That's when you're in trouble.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Guitar0player
It's not only now that it's going downhill?

Compare society in most countries with society 50, 100 or 500 years ago. Is it better now or then?

Quote by meh!
I think it'd be more appropriate to think, instead of 'Society is going down hill' or 'Society isn't, look at history' to think 'how can I make society better'.

When people 'society is going downhill', I don't know why they need to compare it to the past. Just say 'i'm not satisfied with society, these are my ideas to improve it'

/bit unrelated

If you're saying something is going downhill, you must've compared it to something. The hill doesn't just... start when you said it.

Quote by rabidguitarist

We have loads of catholic and anglican churches around here, and a bit further afield, you can find other religious churches. You could walk into any one of them and the people there will be friendly and nice to you.

The bigger problem is when you go out onto the streets, and you talk to the people with no 'beliefs', the people with no foundation on which they base their morals, and the people that do what they want because they think they are in control of their lives. That's when you're in trouble.

Um...?
Quote by rabidguitarist

If by streets you mean the Pit

I personally hold religion quite dear to me and that isn't something my parents instilled upon me.
Quote by rabidguitarist

um....?
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by rabidguitarist
We have loads of catholic and anglican churches around here, and a bit further afield, you can find other religious churches. You could walk into any one of them and join the crusade to destroy all the worshippers of false Gods!

The majority of people that go to churches are nice, wholesome people.

However, I have a problem with organised religion....

.fm
.wordpress
TS is right, especially with the over PC society, the majority of workplaces now have a target to meet of the diversity of races, i.e. White man goes for a job interview, all goes well, he's a good candidate, but he doesn't get the job because they have less employees of other races. Now I'm not saying that it's totally unfair, if a black guy is a better candidate, then hell yeh, he should get the job, but don't give it to him soley to be PC.

I'm not sure that made any sense.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Human rights have been severely exploited altough there is a need for them. I think wse need to review human rights so that people who exploit them are not protected by them
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Kiffa
TS is right, especially with the over PC society, the majority of workplaces now have a target to meet of the diversity of races, i.e. White man goes for a job interview, all goes well, he's a good candidate, but he doesn't get the job because they have less employees of other races. Now I'm not saying that it's totally unfair, if a black guy is a better candidate, then hell yeh, he should get the job, but don't give it to him soley to be PC.

I'm not sure that made any sense.

That hardly explains the breakdown of society.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
50 years ago, there were flaws, but at least people had a sense of responsibility which made society work.
Quote by mustardman
Quote by rabidguitarist
That hardly explains the breakdown of society.

He never said it did, just a point he feels was related.
Quote by Parx
50 years ago, there were flaws, but at least people had a sense of responsibility which made society work.

Well ****, am I missing something here? Society still works pretty damn well from where I'm sitting. Plus I have all this technological crap and disposable income to boot.
Quote by Kensai

If you're saying something is going downhill, you must've compared it to something. The hill doesn't just... start when you said it.

Bad English on my part. I mean that when someone says 'society is going downhill' I don't know why they bother to say that. bother to compare it before at all.

If you're unhappy with how society is NOW then that's what's important.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Parx

How do you know this? I doubt you were alive 50 years ago. I don't understand why people have a sense of nostalgia for times they didn't even live in. It's not as if 50 years ago there was no crime or no welfare or no unemployment. Americans have the same problem, thinking that somehow the golden age of this country happened in the 1950s, which happened to be the most fascist period in US history. People, generally, are the same now that they've always been.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by meh!
Bad English on my part. I mean that when someone says 'society is going downhill' I don't know why they bother to say that. bother to compare it before at all.

If you're unhappy with how society is NOW then that's what's important.

Ah, alright

Yes I agree with you there.
i think political correctness has to take more of the blame, and the fact that there is so many ways to get what you want without deserving it ie benefits and claims.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid