My band have been playing heavy prog rock/metal mastodon/tool/opeth/crimson style stuff for a few years but we are feeling more happier and more proud of doing softer floyd style stuff. We dont want to radically change our style but we feel torn between both styles-whenever i hear tool i want to do that type of music and the same when i listen to floyd.

I feel a bit like Opeth in that they have went from really heavy death metal to quiet folk..feel torn between both styles. What do you guys think of really heavy but melodic music with quiet parts. I want to feel proud of what we do but for a lot of people metal is a dirty word.
Well how about incorporating both heavy metal things, such as tool and mastodon into floyd stuff, or vice verse, incorporate some floyd elements into the metalness
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Well how about incorporating both heavy metal things, such as tool and mastodon into floyd stuff, or vice verse, incorporate some floyd elements into the metalness

Yup, do the dynamics.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou

its quite an extreme sort of change in a song tho
Not really, i mean i confess to liking both mastodon, opeth, dream theater, but also genesis, pink floyd and stuff. Just do all the metalness, and through the metalness have some kind of keyboard melodies like Genesis, Floyd, and then a classic rock guitar solo. Listen to things like Dream Theater and Between The Buried And Me to see what I mean.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Does it really matter how radical a change is as long as you are still having fun doing what you love? I mean, I play my acoustic stuff and metal stuff, with some punk mixed in.
just play it
if its bad dont
if its good then keep doing it
this is how new sounds are created and its not necessarily a bad thing ya know
Dick+strings= owww
no either or thinkinghere, do both, itd be pretty cool live
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Not really, i mean i confess to liking both mastodon, opeth, dream theater, but also genesis, pink floyd and stuff. Just do all the metalness, and through the metalness have some kind of keyboard melodies like Genesis, Floyd, and then a classic rock guitar solo. Listen to things like Dream Theater and Between The Buried And Me to see what I mean.

+1
BTBAMFTW
Just listen to Ants of the Sky. That's the way to do it right there.
WHOALASKA!! WHOALASKAAAA!!!