1988 Gibson Les Paul electric guitar with tremelo bar in fair condition.

EDIT: I'm possibly buying this guitar not selling it, would like some hard numbers to work off of. Thanks so much.

Thanks for the info.
Last edited by cjchyea at Jun 2, 2008,
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Definitly needs some cleaning and whatnot, but if everything works, alot. A Gibson enthusiast would prolly give their left testicle for it.
Eww.. if that's yours, you did a **** job in taking care of it. It looks like hell... clean it.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
I wouldn't pay a cent for it as it's been horribly modified. The locking Nut has probably weakened the headstock joint significantly as it would need additional screw holes drilled to mount it and it now causes extra tension on the joint instead of the tuners. The tremolo bridge is also ugly (to me anyway) and using it would again stress the headstock joint if it allows for raising string pitch. How much routing was done on the body to accomodate this? A bigsby would've given the modifier tremolo without having to do so much to the les PAul. What a shame!
Is it me or is the locking nut in the wrong place.

Looks quite horrible IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i think it is horrendous but prob around $2k
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by cjchyea
It not mine, but I may buy it. What price would you ask for?

Have you played it? Looks like a lot things may go wrong (headstock falling off?).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
haven't played it going to look at ti tomorrow.

If you had to throw out a number just from the pics.
Does it come with the case?
Guitars: Ibanez RG Series Jewel blue.
Fender Stratocaster Brown Sunburst Maple fretboard.

Amps:
Marshall 15W
Peavy 15W
crate
Crate Head

Wish list.
Future Guitar: Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric Guitar.
If i were you i would look in to buying a newer guitar then that one. or maybe one just in a better shape then that one. it looks like when you pick it up it would brake in half.

Amps:
Marshall 15W
Peavy 15W
crate
Crate Head

Wish list.
Maybe if it had new finish and a better head stcok it would sell for more but im not sure.

Amps:
Marshall 15W
Peavy 15W
crate
Crate Head

Wish list.
I'd say £600, which is around $1200 IIRC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Im not buying it to play it, its at a moving sale for $200. Thinking it might be a good investment.
Quote by cjchyea
Im not buying it to play it, its at a moving sale for $200. Thinking it might be a good investment.

Bloody hell.
Buy it ASAP. You could resell it and make a nice profit!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Yeah, if it's being sold for $200, get it. You'd probably get about $500 back for it. That's a nice profit for doin absolutely nothing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Noone at UG has any idea what they are talking about, this isn't a good place to ask about this kind of thing.

Those cases alone go on ebay for several hundred. I'd say it's worth around 2 grand.

Also, a lot of guitars had locking vibratos added in the 80's, it was in fashion.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Noone at UG has any idea what they are talking about, this isn't a good place to ask about this kind of thing.

Those cases alone go on ebay for several hundred. I'd say it's worth around 2 grand.

Also, a lot of guitars had locking vibratos added in the 80's, it was in fashion.

1988 is NOT a Vintage year for Gibson LPs and this guitar has been modified severely! Bigsby tremolo's were used to modify hardtails as it was compatible with the existing hardware not the bridge selected here. You can get a brand new Gibson Faded LP in Canada for about $2200.00 so why anyone for pay almost that for a bastardized, used guitar is beyond me. As for the hardshell case, brand new $200-300.00 for a good quality new case. I tend to agree with aprevious comment that at $200.00 you might be able to turn a profit, IF you can sell it for more. Not everyone would buy such a strange beast.
Almost looks like a Black Beauty...

Anyways, LP doesn't have a vintage '88.

So this one would most likely be customized considering the tremolo.

so just don't overpay.

Don't have an exact price range for you though. Sorry.
Quote by hamish5178

There is absolutely no way that's worth 2 grand. I think my estimate of 500 dollars is much nearer the mark, unless you get someone blinded by the Gibson name. The 80's were not good years particularly for Gibson and you'd be a fool to pay more for one that didn't play like a dream.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
for 200 bucks i would do it, and then have a fun project over the summer, restoring it to its former glory. you can make the first frakenpaul while you are at it.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
If that trem is what I think it is(a hella rare LP floyd) then it alone is worth at least $200
You could probably get at least $500 if not more for it.
its a nice guitar when in good condition, but the owner obviously hasn't cleaned this thing since '88. I'd say try and get a nicer one. IN the long run a newer one will cost less because of the repairs and modifications this thing would need to get it back to its former glory.
Dude! the headstock will probly fall off before you can play it again!