Hey guys a few questions for those who know the answers

I'm looking at adding a Sovtek Mig-100 to my rig as a different sound than my Bugera combo. The price of this is advertised at 499 in the store, but my friend that works there is offering to knock it down to 399 (possibly 375) with free tubes of my choosing (JJ of course!). Number 1....does this sound like a worthy investment? I know a little about this (similar to a JCM 800 blah blah) but not enough.

Number 2. Effects loop...it doesn't have one. How difficult is it to add one? I have the soldering/ electronic skilss. Maybe I need to know more of how to do this, and where in the circuit does it go?

Number 3. Any specific issues to look out for?? Just need to know if theres any quirks to watch out for when i look.

I forgot to mention. I will be running this through an Avatar 2x12 with V-30s
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jun 2, 2008,
All I know is that Sovtek amps were built so that there were cheap tube amps for the people. They are high quality low price so I think as long as the amp looks good and sounds good you should probably be good.

For the effects loop just place all your effects before the input unless you want to use the amps distortion. Sorry but I can't really help on the electronics stuff.

Best of luck.
Don't know much about Sovtek's amps, but I figure they're alright. Really, I can't see much need for an effects loop, but I'm sure you can find some specs to do a mod for that if you really feel the need.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I mainly want a loop to be able to run noise surpression and an EQ. Other than that everything else will be in front anyway. Oh well, I'll keep holding out hoping someone will post that has done it, or knows how
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'm very sure that it's either a Plexi or JCM800 clone, most likely JCM800. They have a good reputation, and at that price it's a brilliant deal, go for it! Try and get some good tubes if you can, JJ KT77 and JJ 12AX7 would work nice with that amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Oh heck yes! It is an 800 clone. And I can even get tubes for free from this place (JJ tubes, and he's offering to throw in some tubes for my 6260.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I would jump on it ASAP. Get some JJ KT77s, JJ 12AX7s, and get the JJ 6L6GC for your Bugera. If you can milk 2 free sets of JJs out of it as well as a 100w JCM800 clone head for $400, i'd say that was a great deal, not to say the head sounds good too. Make sure to check it out first, but if it sounds any way good I would forget about the lack of FX loop and go for it straight away.
Awesome! This is kind of how I feel about the deal. I'm gonna try to log some playing time on it. He'll even hold it for me till I get the cash, so it should be cool. This guy also helped me score a DD-20 for $105, so I know he'll hold up his end of the deal.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Awesome! This is kind of how I feel about the deal. I'm gonna try to log some playing time on it. He'll even hold it for me till I get the cash, so it should be cool. This guy also helped me score a DD-20 for $105, so I know he'll hold up his end of the deal.

hey man. i have played one of these back in the day. has a very good sound, i actually found one on Craigslist down here that im looking to purchase as well. i kinda grined when i saw that you posted this thread here. guess we are on the same level man. the guy is asking $350 for his head, and is a great deal. i think his was made in the late 80's early 90's to compete with marshall.

go for it man. have you tried it out yet? sounds killer
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
I tried it out a couple days ago and WOW! It sounds amazing...the problem is, I don't know that I need another amp as of yet. I honestly think my money would be better spent filling the holes in my pedal board (Chorus, Reverb, better Compressor)......I dunno, I'm still thinking about it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I definitely would, I know I would regret as awesome a deal as that without a doubt.
Go for it.
Screw the pedals.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Lol, ok sounds good to me....imma try to snag this thing soon. I doubt its gonna go before I can pay for it tbh. So i should be ok
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by GoDrex
I've heard that the jacks and pots are plastic - my want to look into that.

the ones i have messed with before all have metal pots and all like the one im looking at grabbing to.
unless someone changed them out for metal ones, i dunno. i could be wrong
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by AndyRevenge at Jun 5, 2008,
is it PTP ?
if it is, Ceriatone.com has schematics for effects loop mods .
if it's not' it might be a little harder to do..
hmmm, I need to see if I can get them to open it up and see if its PTP. I honestly dont know
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I have always heard there pretty nice amps and a good bang for your buck..

they are great amps for the price, especially back then when they were selling them to people who wanted the JCM800 tone without the high price tag

the OD is pretty decent to. im going to play this guys tonight cause i might pick up his for $350!
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

One popped up on my local Craigslist a few months ago in full working order for . . . brace yourself . . . $200!!! I wanted to jump on it so badly it physically hurt. But I was broke.

I think you should go for it. Even if it turns out to not be for you, you could probably sell it for more than $375.
I think im gonna, because I got an offer just a few minutes ago from a guy who said if i don't like it, he'll take it for $500 cash
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
I think im gonna, because I got an offer just a few minutes ago from a guy who said if i don't like it, he'll take it for $500 cash

hell yeah dude. i get to try out the one down here tonight at this guys house. its been like 7 years since i played one last. i remember it sounding sweet
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate