which one is best for classic rock, hard rock, grunge, and thrash metal (metallica, megadeth, slayer, some pantera levels of gain)
plus any sound clips of ANY 900 are welcome
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i have the dual reverb and with an OD i can get pantera levels easy, i dunno about the SLX but id imagine it's heavier
cause ther's and X in it
is it versatile?
how does it do classic and hard rock?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Since your talking about different models of an amp, the differences could be subtle in some areas. If I were you, I would try a couple different amps from each model to decide. Once you've done this the decision should be easy for you. This is directly from the Marshall web-site:

Extra Strength SL-X
50 Watt 2500 SL-X and 100 Watt 2100 SL-X amplifier formats.
Extra ECC83 [12AX7] valve in the pre-amp
Switchable master volumes
4 band EQ
Pre-amp volume control and a Gain sensitivity [which goes from 0-20!]
Effects loop
Direct output
Switchable high and low output
Valve failure LEDs.

Dual Reverb
A wide variety of combo and head formats
Two independent channels
Independent Gain and Volume controls
Treble, Middle, Bass and Presence tone controls
Reverb level controls for each channel
Series Effects loop
Compensated Line Out
High to Low power switch [100 Watts down to 50 Watts on 100 Watt models and 50 Watts down to 25 Watts on 50 Watt models]
Valve failure LEDs.
Unique fail-safe circuit on 100 Watt models to keep the amp running in the event of a valve failure to get you through to the end of the gig.

This is taken from "Blame Pro"

SL-X

Twin gain controls from 0 to 10 and 10 to 20.
Twin footswitchable master volumes (A) and (B) for rhythm to solo volume switching.
Equalization controls for Treble, Middle, Bass, and Presence.
Effects loop with sensitivity control.
Direct and recording compensated line ouputs.
Impedance selection switching.
Twin loudspeaker ouputs.
High/low power switching (pentode to triode).
Valve failure LED's.
Entirely wired and assembled by hand.
Made in England.

Dual Reverb
Separate preamp gain controls: Channel (A) 1-10, Channel (B) 0-20
Tone network with Treble, Middle, Bass, and Presence controls
Individual master volume controls for each channel
Separate reverb controls for each channel
Manual or footswitch operation for channel selection
Effects loop with sensitivity control
Direct and recording compensated line ouputs
Impedance selection switching
Two speaker outputs
High/low power switching (pentode to triode)
Valve failure LEDs
Entirely wired and assembled by hand in England
100 watt models (model numbers 4100, 4101, 4102) feature 4 x 5881 output valves, 3 x ECC 83 preamp valves
50 watt models (model numbers 4500, 4502) feature 2 x 5881 output valves, 3 x ECC 83 preamp valves
Note: some models came factory equipped with EL34 power tubes instead of 5881s.

The SLX has a extra pre-amp tube
The DR has two independent channels with its own pre-amp volume and reverb
The DR has diode clipping with is like having an overdrive pedal in front of the amp while the SL-X has an extra pre-amp section (4 total) to add the extra gain.
The Dual Reverb has more versatility, IMO, and sounds closest to the dual channel JCM800's while the SL-X models were made by Marshall to suit the sign of times and higher gain music (Imagine putting an Overdrive pedal in front of an SL-X). With this information, now go try the amps
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jun 2, 2008,
well i think i like the dr more
but man this is going to be hard to try
most likely have to try on craigslist, and i'd hate to go to someguys house to just say "nah i don't like it that much" so i want to make it the most certain as to whether i'll take it or not
know what i mean?
why did you choose the dr gutch?
and would you recommend el34's? i've heard these give them more "balls"
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
the extra gain section didn't appeal to me. I bought mine a looong time ago though. I guess I just liked the way it sounded best and I found a good model. I am pleases with my choice.
nice how is it compared to you're 800 on classic rock?
does the 800 like slaughter it?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
when compared to a 2-channel JCM800 they have a slightly different tone, a little more modern/brighter. But they are pretty similar.