Page 1 of 4
Evening all.

Mods, before you close this, actually read it, especially you greety.

I'm probably the last person who should be making a thread regarding the chat thread as I'm the biggest poster in it (somewhere around 3700 I think) so I'm probably the least unbiased person to be speaking on it's behalf. However, as a regular in the metal forum (and yes, the metal chat thread), I would just like to make a few observations. greety, bo, whoever, feel free to ban me for being annoying or whatever, I don't care, just read what I have to say first.

The detractors claim that the chat thread was an unnecessary thread. A thread simply for spam, that we have the pit for that. Fair play, it was basically just that, a CHAT thread. We talked. We didn't just mention one topic each then hurl insults at each other. We talked. We discussed metal, we discussed hardcore, we discussed goddamn weight loss techniques. Sure, there was a fair amount of stupid stuff simply for "teh lulz" (MANLY! being the one that instantly springs to mind), but jesus christ, it's not like we had an entire forum of it.

Also, the other thing that annoys me is the assumption that because we posted in the chat thread we let the other threads die. Um...yes, skewed logic to be honest.

With the chat thread, the regulars were quite happy (I know I was) to post in the chat thread until our favourite band threads became active again. Not ONCE did I ever see my favourite band thread with new posts and chose to just stay in the chat thread instead. The chat thread was a central hubb, if you will, for us all to meet before dividing up to go discuss various bands. We still all posted, the post count in the main forum didn't go down while we had the chat thread, we just used the chat thread as a way of killing time.

The chat thread is probably the ONLY reason I'm good friends with people like dead-fish, Terror Kovenant, webbtje, Monkey_Bassist, Internal Chaos, 9_11_4, etc etc, I could go on. It was a true online community aspect that this forum lacks now...

Sure, kill the chat thread, I'm well aware that they are huge server burdens etc etc, but come on...since when was it hurting UG? Or the Metal-Forum? Hm? Considering less than about 1/10th the population of the metal forum actually regularly posted in that thread, I'd say it wasn't exactly a forum killer...

So, call this whatever you want, call it a plea from someone with too much time on their hands, whatever. I honestly don't care. But I'd like to point out that this forum has become a LOT quieter lately, and I know why. Half of the goddamn forum has retreated to a new forum (yes, myself included) because their is simply NO ONE TO TALK TO about stuff anymore. No one bothers to come here, because half the threads get a few replies every few hours. Yes, that's a large generalization, but whatever, I know that there's no COMMUNITY vibe to this place, it just feels like another message board filled with "omg which album should I get?" and "omg ____ is so F*CKING GOOOD! I LOVE THIS BAND OMOGM" (thanks to Monkey_Bassist for summing up what I was trying to say )

Supplemental: I'd also like to point out the other complaint I've heard was "You guys just spam every single one to hell". Yeah, well no shit. You tell us "you don't have to talk about metal" and then tell us "not to spam it", well technically, anything off topic is spam. Then you close it when we talk? What? I missed the logic guys. Like I said, I can understand not wanting this thousand page behemoth taking server space, whatever, close it, but come on...

Anyway, whatever guys, ban me, close the thread, call me an idiot for defending the chat thread, WHATEVER, don't care.

Not much else to talk about anyway.
Last edited by Magero at Jun 2, 2008,
As someone that has been on this site / Forum for a while, and has learnt a lot during that time, I will have to agree on Maggie on this topic.

It may seem like nothing to outsiders (read:Mods), but simple stuff like having a "Chat" thread can help this Forum. It's a draw card for which the in between "What album should I get" and "OMG *insert fellated Musician* is sooooo cool" Posts, the regular users of this Forum can talk amongst themselves.

Just my 2 cents.
I never posted in the Metal chat thread, but I did see the use in it, and this is a pretty convincing pitch. If it were brought back I'd probably use it more, one of the reasons I didn't use it before was cause I wasn't really a part of the 'community', I'm not saying I am now, but if I'd start posting from the start, I'd have some idea what the conversation was about (no I couldn't be arsed look through pages of the last one to find the topic).

Basically, I agree with what you're saying and would use it if there were one now.
There was, I daresay, a much stronger community feel here long before the idea of a chat thread was thought up. Now, here's the problem. The chat thread defined the metal forum community and that has applied to all 4 (?) chat threads there have been, meaning if you didn't post in the chat thread, nobody knew who you were. Now, before the chat threads began, the community was still very strong and tight-knit, through talking about metal and most importantly the rec thread. I really could care less about the spam and annoying people in the chat thread, but all of the chums from it would spread into the forum, bringing their spam, annoying personalities and annoying injokes with them. The metal forum became a place for the metal chat regulars to talk about metal, not people in general to talk about metal. The community was bound by metal back then, making it very tight knit, but the chat thread is bound by whoever posts the most. You don't have to know anything about metal to get by in that thread.

I doubt anybody is accusing you of killing the rest of the forum by using it, but what you did instead was turn it into a exclusive elite club which was based on nothing but how much you can talk about weight loss and pretend to be wasted.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
You have point or 2 there duncang, but you are also being cynical too. I've been here before, during, and after (ala now) in this forum and the current trend of this forum basically benefits from having some way for people to in-chat amongst one another.
Quote by duncang
There was, I daresay, a much stronger community feel here long before the idea of a chat thread was thought up. Now, here's the problem. The chat thread defined the metal forum community and that has applied to all 4 (?) chat threads there have been, meaning if you didn't post in the chat thread, nobody knew who you were. Now, before the chat threads began, the community was still very strong and tight-knit, through talking about metal and most importantly the rec thread. I really could care less about the spam and annoying people in the chat thread, but all of the chums from it would spread into the forum, bringing their spam, annoying personalities and annoying injokes with them. The metal forum became a place for the metal chat regulars to talk about metal, not people in general to talk about metal. The community was bound by metal back then, making it very tight knit, but the chat thread is bound by whoever posts the most. You don't have to know anything about metal to get by in that thread.

I doubt anybody is accusing you of killing the rest of the forum by using it, but what you did instead was turn it into a exclusive elite club which was based on nothing but how much you can talk about weight loss and pretend to be wasted.

So you're saying that bringing people in with the chat thread and then them spreading out into the other threads because they feel at home and more acclimatised, is a bad thing?

Oh and your analogy fails because you hardly posted in there, if at all, and I still know you. From the In Flames thread. I know webbtje from the Meshuggah thread. I know dead-fish from the Nevermore thread. I know 9_11_4 from the Atheist thread. I know Delanoir, Defy, Vittu, and Cody from the Bodom thread, etc. I could go on. If you view the chat thread as this elitist club, then you are a lot stupider than I thought you were. Just because we actually knew each other, doesn't mean we kicked others out for no reason. The few we DID try and get rid of, were annoying to others, not just one person. Note how many newbs posted in the chat thread between the beginning of the year and when it got closed, then re-think your argument.

Hell, if anything, the chat thread made this forum LESS elitist. Instead of every newb getting flamed in the Death or Deicide threads for not knowing who Glen Benton or Chuck Schuldiner are. The elitism present OUTSIDE of the chat thread was way more intense than it ever was in it.

Nice try Duncan, I can appreciate your point of view, but I'm afraid you have an ignorant point of view (yes, ignorant, ie: the "buzz word". You know, the one that means you have a LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT A CERTAIN SUBJECT. Don't ever question my grasp on the english language again.)
I'm quite new so I'unno if what Duncang's saying is true or what, but if it is, that time's gone now anyway, sine the personalities, friendships and inside jokes have already been established, they should either keep making chat threads, or shouldn't have started in the first place.

EDIT: your use of that word ignorant does get very annoying Magero xD
Quote by \m/Gaz
I'm quite new so I'unno if what Duncang's saying is true or what, but if it is, that time's gone now anyway, sine the personalities, friendships and inside jokes have already been established, they should either keep making chat threads, or shouldn't have started in the first place.

Bingo, hit the nail on the head.
Quote by \m/Gaz

EDIT: your use of that word ignorant does get very annoying Magero xD

Good point.
And I can accept the ignorant thing, I've tried to use it less and less. But I'm still afraid that "You're an ignorant twat" sums up "You have no idea what you are talking about" better than anything else ever will.
Quote by Magero
Good point.
And I can accept the ignorant thing, I've tried to use it less and less. But I'm still afraid that "You're an ignorant twat" sums up "You have no idea what you are talking about" better than anything else ever will.

yeah, but it does tend to lose effect after a while

and what's this? Megero agreeing with me for once?
ohhh yeah, there was that 12 year old kid being all br00tuhl saying he liked nothing but metal which we 'double-teamed' lol. Kay, twice. AAAAAAND we had a sorta normal conversation in the- sorry, YOUR Tunings thread. Got off to a bad start but things are getting better lol
That's the one.
I have a bad tendency to just flame n00bs for saying things I disagree with.
I think I picked a fight with webbtje once....now we're good friends.
I guess I was a bit o' a n00b lol, I still have those views it's just I don't fancy being rocket launched in a ball of flames out of a helicopter over a pit of spikes again, so I know when to keep my mouth shut now lol, although I will argue with someone about it if I feel like they deserve it for being too verbally wreckless.
I never used the chat thread, and we didn't have one back when I was here regularly. /back in my day oh em gees. But I don't really see the problem in it. If we got it back I'd probably start posting in it. I think that if people in the Metal Forum itself were allowed to have conversations related to things outside of Metal it'll cut down on the flaming a bit and lead to some...dare I say this without sounding like a fruitcake...understanding?

Greety, you know you love understanding...and uh...kittens, right?
"Oh, it's just you." - Famous Last Words
Another point I'd like to raise

Since the deletion, the spam rates in other threads has been increasing.. I mean, look at the Opeth thread.. The chat regs will stay regs, but newcomers will have even harder getting in to the community now.. At least before, they could easily see where to post.. Now people will just randomly spark conversation anywhere, and that isn't what those threads are for.. They are for discussing bands, genres etc.

I see why deletion might have been a good idea at some point, but the time before the chat threads were established are not returning.. At least not before all of the people from the time of the chat thread are long gone.. And that will take years..

At this rate, the community this place had will diminish, and all this place will be used for is noobs that come in and get burned for posting about A7X

That's my view

/rant
Quote by destroy_techno

At this rate, the community this place had will diminish, and all this place will be used for is noobs that come in and get burned for posting about A7X

That's my view

/rant

You just made the most brilliantly phrased point EVER written by any human ever.
^yeah, you mean like you and Slaytanic talking about Wacken in the Behemoth thread? And that crappy band who are playing there? And me asking about his job etc.

That should go in the Metal chat thread really oh wait...... in the...... err...... okay, let's just spam the Behemoth thread
EDIT: To DT
Last edited by \m/Gaz at Jun 2, 2008,
I opened up the Opeth thread and webby was talking about some poser profile he read about......

The spam is gonna continue, but now it's not gonna be localised...
I didn't go in the Metal Chat Thread all that much but when I did I learned some stuff about Metal and many users I saw posting in the Metal Forum. I didn't meet anyone in there either.....The few users I recognize I know from The Pit, Bass Forum, Death Thread and Metallica Thread....I would support the revival of the Chat Thread...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I didn't hate the thread.

I just thought it was full of shite.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
The Metal Forum was far and away the most active forum on UG before the chat thread came in.

I'm not really sure what contributed mostly to the loss of action. I'm sure the chat thread played a part, because everyone focused on that thread and the rest kind of became ignored. I'm sure the loss of most of the oldschool regulars also played a part.

Regardless, Magero, your complaints are ill-aimed. The metal forum was always this inactive. You just didn't notice because there were always new posts in the chat thread. If anything, I've noticed a boost in activity since the chat thread was closed. Yeah, there's more spam, but that will die down in time like it always does.

We don't need a chat thread. We have profiles for that now.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
I didn't hate the thread.

I just thought it was full of shite.

Taking it from your point of view..

The Chat thread was a ball containing all the shit of the forum..

Would you rather keep it contained or have it spill all over the forum?
mmm... I think the main thing I liked about the chat thread (granted I only started posting there not too long before it was closed), was that I could chat to like-minded (by like-minded I mean metal loving) individuals from... well pretty much everywhere. I mean, fuck I'm from Africa's crotch! Different perspectives on a lovely metal scene.
Quote by Magero
I opened up the Opeth thread and webby was talking about some poser profile he read about......

The spam is gonna continue, but now it's not gonna be localised...

I was in the Metallica Thread and for like two pages every post had the word "nuts" in it or some sort of variant (Technically there were a few posts that were on topic though).....Spam has increased recently....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Magero
So you're saying that bringing people in with the chat thread and then them spreading out into the other threads because they feel at home and more acclimatised, is a bad thing?

Oh and your analogy fails because you hardly posted in there, if at all, and I still know you. From the In Flames thread. I know webbtje from the Meshuggah thread. I know dead-fish from the Nevermore thread. I know 9_11_4 from the Atheist thread. I know Delanoir, Defy, Vittu, and Cody from the Bodom thread, etc. I could go on. If you view the chat thread as this elitist club, then you are a lot stupider than I thought you were. Just because we actually knew each other, doesn't mean we kicked others out for no reason. The few we DID try and get rid of, were annoying to others, not just one person. Note how many newbs posted in the chat thread between the beginning of the year and when it got closed, then re-think your argument.

Hell, if anything, the chat thread made this forum LESS elitist. Instead of every newb getting flamed in the Death or Deicide threads for not knowing who Glen Benton or Chuck Schuldiner are. The elitism present OUTSIDE of the chat thread was way more intense than it ever was in it.

Nice try Duncan, I can appreciate your point of view, but I'm afraid you have an ignorant point of view (yes, ignorant, ie: the "buzz word". You know, the one that means you have a LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT A CERTAIN SUBJECT. Don't ever question my grasp on the english language again.)

When did I ever question your grasp on the English language?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 4